Old February 27, 2004, 00:20   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 12:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
US reinstating the draft in Spring 2005?

Source is "questionable", but the citations seem correct and follow...

http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/n.../01/105146.php

Quote:
US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005
by Adam Stutz • Wednesday January 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM

The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

Reinstatement of the draft

Dear Friends and Family,

I urge you to read the article below on the current agenda of the federal government to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism."

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The Draft*

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:22   #2
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Why does he think that the adminstration is pushing these pieces of legislation?

And the increase in funding for the selective service was some irrelevent bureaucratic thing IIRC.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 27, 2004, 00:22   #3
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
I think this is one of those things where you hear that it's gonna happen and then it doesnt.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old February 27, 2004, 00:23   #4
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 15:28
Forget it. Not a chance in hell. Nor is it necessary. There are plenty of volunteers.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:24   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 18:28
It will never happen.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:28   #6
Giancarlo
King

And indymedia? They are like the National Enquirer.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:28   #7
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
Forget it. Not a chance in hell. Nor is it necessary. There are plenty of volunteers.
Yeah, that's why their doing stop loss orders and running guard members on 2 year tours.

I hope it never happens, but -

(1) Were Bush to win, he could not run again.
(2) Cheney will likely never run

No political cost to them - that only leaves Congress.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:28   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Or like Newsmax or Fox or something
Old February 27, 2004, 00:29   #9
Patroklos
Emperor

We are kicking people out of the military left and right. As it is if you are a junior officer and you fail anything they just get rid of you. No redesignation, you are gone.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:29   #10
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:28
According to a teacher of mine, who's wife serves on a certain "draft board" type thing in my region, says that the draft is extremely plausible
Old February 27, 2004, 00:31   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
We are kicking people out of the military left and right. As it is if you are a junior officer and you fail anything they just get rid of you. No redesignation, you are gone.
Isn't that kind of...well, stupid?
Old February 27, 2004, 00:32   #12
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Yeah, that's why their doing stop loss orders and running guard members on 2 year tours.
That isn't a problem. It does not denote a lack of personel.

Quote:
(2) Cheney will likely never run
He is not in good enough health.

Hey, since there are hot men in the military, I may reconsider
Old February 27, 2004, 00:32   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
[And indymedia? They are like the National Enquirer.
I prefer the Weekly World News to Indymedia OR Fox. At least WWN is funny ("Lovers Osama and Saddam Fathering Bat-Child" )

---

If it is--then God help us all. :fear:

If it isn't--oh wow, Indy said something wrong. Unbelievable!
Old February 27, 2004, 00:32   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
Hey, since there are hot men in the military, I may reconsider
But Military men are like "hey faggot, suck my dick"...
Old February 27, 2004, 00:37   #15
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

But Military men are like "hey faggot, suck my dick"...
And you think I'll object to that? Nor would I object to being bent over.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:39   #16
Nubclear

Fez is aware of the Dont Ask Dont Tell policy?
Old February 27, 2004, 00:40   #17
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Fez is aware of the Dont Ask Dont Tell policy?
You are spoiling the fun.

(of course I know about that)
Old February 27, 2004, 00:43   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Are you aware of the Gay Hibernation Act?
Old February 27, 2004, 00:44   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Hell, if I could survive in the Army for over 20 years, Fez should be fine .... Besides, the military is what brought me out of my closet!

You are correct Fez, you would meet alot of interesting (ie, HOT) men.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:44   #20
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

While the Bush Administration still has a hardon for more wars (and the profitable defence contracts they'd spawn), they aren't stupid enough to want to reinstitute the draft as early as next spring. It'd be political suicide for Congress and a Public Relations nightmare for the White House, election year notwithstanding. They'd do everything possible to shuffle the existing volunteer military around, but they certainly wouldn't rule out the draft as an option for the near future.

Yes, I'm worried that it's a distinct possiblity that it'll happen next year, but that's emotion talking. Reason, for me, states they'd wait longer, maybe '06 or '07, if ever doing it during Bush's possible second term. If Bush the Younger's little pissing contest with other two-bit dictators flares up again...well, we'll see.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:47   #21
Nubclear

No. Sorry, but no politician is stupid enough to call for a draft.
If Bush called for a draft, he probably wouldn't get to serve his second term.

Luckily, none of my family is draftable
Old February 27, 2004, 00:48   #22
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Um, do a quick search on the Senate and House web sites for the resolutions. They are 1) being offered by Democrats (Hollings in the Senate, Rangel in the House), and 2) referring to a national service program of the like advocated by Kerry, one that does not require military service.
Old February 27, 2004, 00:48   #23
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Ah, but that's the trick Tass: waiting until AFTER Bush wins a second term to call for a draft. Not imediately after, but in the months following the elections.

Old February 27, 2004, 00:50   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Draft? What are we starting a new baseball league?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 27, 2004, 00:51   #25
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I'll be 25 in June of 2005... no ****ing way am I fighting bush's oil wars... OOOOOHHHH CAAAAANNAAAADDAAAA!~
Old February 27, 2004, 00:51   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
Ah, but that's the trick Tass: waiting until AFTER Bush wins a second term to call for a draft. Not imediately after, but in the months following the elections.
The US has a system where a President can be expelled early, no?
Old February 27, 2004, 00:51   #27
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

The US has a system where a President can be expelled early, no?
yeah, they tried it on Clinton because he lied about getting a blowjob
Old February 27, 2004, 00:52   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

And, of course, Sava posts without reading any of the posts before him .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 27, 2004, 00:52   #29
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Disturbing as it is for me, I actually agree with Rangel's efforts (I've not read the text of it). As I understand it, he was trying to make the social cost of a draft MUCH higher so that it would be more difficult to call for one, forcing Congress and the President to consider their options much more carefully.

I don't know anything about Kerry's proposal, but based solely on that sentence Boris, it looks acceptable.

Old February 27, 2004, 00:53   #30
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
And, of course, Sava posts without reading any of the posts before him .
uhmmm nooooo I did read it... note the proposed draft is SPRING 2005... I turn 25 (the draft limit) in June 2005. That's a few months window in which I would be eligible... jerky!