Old February 27, 2004, 17:40   #151
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
bring on the draft.

think of it this way: it's another lottery.

i've never won a lottery, i might get a shot at winning this one.
Old February 27, 2004, 17:45   #152
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
it'll never happen. its political sucide. the only way it could is if al qaeda manaages another succesful strike against america, similar to world trade center.
Again, suicide for whom?

Bush is eligible for only one more term and Cheney won't run. Congressmen and Senators are elected locally, so in some sense it also matters if they can do enough for their constituents to offset the draft.

Then again, given how easy it was to drum out dissent against the Iraq war, how hard will it be to really push a draft as patriotic and drown out dissent again. (But hopefully the Repukes shot their "patriotism" wad on Iraq )
Old February 27, 2004, 17:47   #153
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Again, suicide for whom?
Congress. Bye-bye incumbency advantage .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 27, 2004, 18:27   #154
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 10:28
yea, but theyve reloaded and now their ready to go again. and remeber how much of a pushover the demonrats are.
Old February 27, 2004, 19:16   #155
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 14:28
Funny, it's the "demonrats" who were the only ones talking about any 'draft' (ie, Rangel) .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 27, 2004, 19:28   #156
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 20:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
it'll never happen. its political sucide. the only way it could is if al qaeda manaages another succesful strike against america, similar to world trade center.
What would a conscript army be able to do against that? Or a professional army, for that matter? Terrorism is a police matter. Draft people to the FBI then...

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; February 27, 2004 at 20:46.
Old February 27, 2004, 20:56   #157
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 18:28
Exactly,the military doesn't WANT them.

Precisely because they would be useless for at least a year.
Old February 27, 2004, 22:50   #158
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 10:28
Siddiqui, i was talking about the repukes using patriotism. once the fusion between the two parties are complete

enter stage left, LP.
Old February 27, 2004, 23:31   #159
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
That goes to "impeachable offences." Simply calling for a draft isn't an impeachable offence
If the president enforces a draft in violation of the 13th amendment, that could in some readings be impeachable.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old February 27, 2004, 23:43   #160
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Um, do a quick search on the Senate and House web sites for the resolutions. They are 1) being offered by Democrats (Hollings in the Senate, Rangel in the House), and 2) referring to a national service program of the like advocated by Kerry, one that does not require military service.
They want to make sure rich kid or political correct kid has than equall change of haveing his ass shot at. FDR lost 2 grandchildern who serive in the milital durning WWII to combat plus some other familty member unlike our last president and current president.
Old February 28, 2004, 03:30   #161
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:28
oh yes back on topic.

I did my time. I'm not eligible

I seriously doubt it will happen. A war with China is the only thing that would cause a draft.

I think they are beefing up the selective service "just in case"
Old February 28, 2004, 03:38   #162
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Diss, isn't there some obscure law that says anyone who served can be called back to serve in time of crises? It was mentioned in a novel, so that's a strike against, but the author served.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 28, 2004, 04:00   #163
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 15:28
I have an idea...I'll go to the drafting office and say "Can my boyfriend join the same unit too?"
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 28, 2004, 04:52   #164
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

No, the criticism is that they chickened out of a war they publically supported and that today they want to tell others to go fight. Honest draft dodging doesn't hurt you, unless you're a Repug (then you have to have dishonestly dodged). It didn't hurt Clinton. It didn't hurt Quayle. Didn't even hurt Dubya. So many Americans disagreed with the war that avoid the war isn't a problem. It's being a liar or an hypocrite that hurts you.
In short, they avoided service, but now they are of the generation that makes policy decisions. However, the label of chicken-hawk is applied to them as if they should have no voice at all.

Like I said, serve or have no voice. That is the reasoning.