Old March 16, 2004, 20:36   #91
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
At least Nords, Orcs, and Imperials know how to crack a few jokes. "Seen and elves lately?" "eeeww you're naked, spare me!"

True I couldn't agree more.

A nix hound is just a big ugly scrib

Also, true. Try fighting a big Orc with a war hammer or something, then you will be glad for armor. Or try seing what happnas when your armor is nearly broken.
Old March 17, 2004, 01:21   #92
Qilue
King

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
BustaMike, a more realisitc test is to use different full suits of each armour type. That is, test when wearing a full suit of steel, then test weaing a full suit of ebony. Only then would your assertions have any credibility.

Unarmoured is kind of bugged in that wearing one piece of armour of any kind reduces damage as per a full suit of armour. This fact further invalidates BustaMike's test. Also keep in mind that a shield is also an armour location.
Old March 17, 2004, 03:12   #93
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:28
Any hints for a n00b who just bought the game?
Old March 17, 2004, 03:31   #94
Space05us
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
enjoy, and dont go to any sites that would spoil the fun.

Once you really get immersed in the game world all of the flaws dissappear.
Old March 17, 2004, 04:32   #95
Qilue
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Xbox or PC?

If PC, then I suggest looking over some of the mods that add new faces and hair. The default ones are really awfull.

I do suggest not to go overboard loading plugins at least until you played the game for a while.
Old March 17, 2004, 04:37   #96
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

PC of course.
Old March 17, 2004, 05:17   #97
Qilue
King

Finally found it's new home.

http://www.uesp.net/index.shtml

This site is a must-read.
Old March 17, 2004, 05:41   #98
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
Don't click it, Skank! It's exactly what Space was warning about.
Old March 17, 2004, 05:44   #99
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Saknky, i know this is probably late, but i think that is the site that details every square inch of the game. Just come here with your q's.

I'd definitely suggest that you invest in the security attribute. You can kill people in theior homes, and sell all of their crap to the nearest pawnborker. pl;us it's a good way to pick up free potions, and sometimes weapons. Also, join lots of guilds, but not the commona tong, they suck. Definitely mages guild, thieves guild, and fighteres guild.

Also, always look under hte pillow in someones house. I've found *****in swords in Pelagiad under pillows twice. One was a silver flameslayer, and the other was a vipersword of some type. Can't remember the statsthough.

Also, when you are in Seyda Neen at the start, instead of heading straight for Balmora, head off across the little bridge, and follow the road it leads to. If you keep going, eventually a guy will fall ou of the sky, and he dies. You cna jack his stuff which includes: and iron spark sword, extravagant slothing, his journal which you can sell to the bookseller(darius darvel?) in Balmora, and three scrolls of Icarian flight, which fortify your acrobatics for 1000 points!!!!
Old March 17, 2004, 06:00   #100
Qilue
King

500 points, but it's not advisable to use them, at least at low level anyway.

From a running jump, you could reach Balmora quite easily, but your character wouldn't survive to enjoy the experience.
Old March 17, 2004, 11:41   #101
pg
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

You're right of course and this is what really drives me crazy about this game. You have to purposely underpower your guy (unless you're Tass who plays with all stats at 20000 ). The game experience itself, the atmosphere, the sound, the graphics, the openness, are all so great... and then you realize that the character building system was just thrown on as an afterthought. And it could be fixed with only a few changes.

Cap Alchemy, cap attributes and skills based on character race and class, fix constant effect enchanting (cause damn it's overpowered), balance magic vs. melee, fix the armor problem, balance the birthsigns, fix training.
i started playing morrowind again too a week or so ago. i've already started a new character again due to the fact i was uber at level 9. this time i'm trying a magic heavy character... tes 4 better have balance or i might just skip it. it's one thing to power game in a mmorpg with other people but in morrowind you power game just by playing. it's so wrong.

btw, what kind of preformance does a current top of the line pc(3ghz+, 1gb ram, 9800 radeon) get in mw now? currently at least a quarter of my time in morrowind is spent on lag from loading/fps stuttering/etc with a system that is basically the recommended requirements.

Last edited by pg; March 17, 2004 at 11:48.
Old March 18, 2004, 16:31   #102
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
500 points, but it's not advisable to use them, at least at low level anyway.

From a running jump, you could reach Balmora quite easily, but your character wouldn't survive to enjoy the experience.
You're talking about the icarian flight scroll right? Balmora you say? Is this true? Balmora from where? Seyda Neen? pLease explain.
Old March 18, 2004, 17:15   #103
Space05us
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
those scrolls are so much fun
Old March 18, 2004, 17:51   #104
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

What level should you be to use those scrolls? I never bothered to use them with my original character.
Old March 18, 2004, 18:54   #105
MattH
King

Local Time: 18:28
Sure those scrolls are a ton of fun, but the chance that you will get a CTD jumps to something like 50%.
Old March 18, 2004, 22:20   #106
Qilue
King

Quote:
Originally posted by bipolarbear

You're talking about the icarian flight scroll right? Balmora you say? Is this true? Balmora from where? Seyda Neen? pLease explain.
Cast scroll when in Seyda Neen, then start running in a northerly direction and jump. You will land somewhere near Balmora.
Old March 20, 2004, 06:10   #107
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Also, join lots of guilds, but not the commona tong, they suck. Definitely mages guild, thieves guild, and fighteres guild.
I joined the fighters guild, but the current mission I have is to kill a thieves guild person. Not much problem with that (despite me being a thieves guild member), but they are saying that this helps the commona tong. Can you advance in the fighter's guild without helping the CT?
Old March 20, 2004, 06:55   #108
Qilue
King

Yes, but...

You have to do most of the thieves guild quests. Also, go and have a chat with Percius Mercius in the Ald'Ruhn fighter's guild about this quest.
Old March 21, 2004, 03:02   #109
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Try killing off the Commona Tong for Larius Varro.
Old March 21, 2004, 03:08   #110
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

I found a nice little trick to get pretty much unlimited $, *****in armor, great weapons, and piss people off too. It helps a lot for this, If you are in the mages guild, becasue then you get to use their transportation system.I generally start in Balmora, and (oh yeah, this uses codes, unless you're a really good fighter.) Go to Vivec, and kill na ordinator, actually two if you have the capacity to carry most of their stuff. Well, technically 3, b/c then you can wear their armor, and that is cool, b/c it is really good. So then, go back to Balmora, and then go to the Mages guild, and go to Peligiad. Sell the stuff to Creeper. Or if you know where htat friggin mudcrab is, then sell it to her/him.
Basically just kill an Ordinator or 3 at Vivec, and steal their crap. It sells well, protects well, and looks cool.
Actually, I found a really goo wepaon too. It is the sixth house bell hammer. It has 1-50 for a chop. One hit kills are awesome.
Old March 21, 2004, 03:10   #111
Skanky Burns

I tried. It didn't end pretty.
I'm still only level 3 though so when I build up a bit that should help. To that end I am going through the thieves guild quests and some miscellaneous other ones along the way.
Old March 21, 2004, 11:17   #112
MattH
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Quote:
Also, join lots of guilds, but not the commona tong, they suck. Definitely mages guild, thieves guild, and fighteres guild.
I joined the fighters guild, but the current mission I have is to kill a thieves guild person. Not much problem with that (despite me being a thieves guild member), but they are saying that this helps the commona tong. Can you advance in the fighter's guild without helping the CT?
Not as far as I can tell. They're a nasty bunch, the CT. Kill 'em when you can, run when you can't. Chat with Lucius (sp?) in the fort outside Balmora for a CT-killing mission, but beware: It's really tough for a low level character.
Old March 21, 2004, 22:44   #113
Skanky Burns

I'm level 5 and tried that again. I managed to take a few of them down with me this time, much of an improvement from me dying while they only got a few scratches. Soon...
Old March 22, 2004, 15:44   #114
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
When I did it, I made sure to take them as seriously as possible. If your race has special abilities or you can summon a weapon or whatever, do it. They're killable at about level five, without any special gear, you just can't pull any punches.

The reward is pretty tight.
Old March 22, 2004, 19:58   #115
Skanky Burns

If I had that healing spell that lasts 60 seconds, I would have won my previous attempt. But I didn't and didn't. Not to worry, will try again.
Old March 22, 2004, 20:06   #116
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:28
So I see opinion is very divided amongst RPG fans.......what's the deal? Is the plot a good one?
Old March 22, 2004, 21:07   #117
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I have a question, and I think the answer is yes.

When I get into fights, I sometimes am forced to...er, "strategically withdraw" to another room/area so that I may rest and heal. When I do this, does the damage I've dealt to the enemy disappear? Do they similarly go back to full health?
Old March 22, 2004, 23:00   #118
Qilue
King

Verto - Not usually. Sometimes you can even go to town for more supplies and then recall back and they are still have as mich damage as when you left. Sometimes they do regenerate though and I can't be certain of why.

Doc - The Plot in MW is quite good, but it does draw heavily on Elder Scrolls lore.
Old March 23, 2004, 04:10   #119
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Doc- I love Morrowind. The plot is good. I liked KOTOR's more. But what I really like about morrowind, is that the RPG genere is dominated by a bunch of boring turn based rpgs that are so deep in anime, you'd think you were watching adult swim. I like anime, but unless they're making a trigun videogame, I'd really rather just play rpg's that deal with more diverse worlds than just anime.
Old March 23, 2004, 20:04   #120
MattH
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
So I see opinion is very divided amongst RPG fans.......what's the deal? Is the plot a good one?
Why I love this game is because you can pretend there is no plot. There are thousands of guild and spot quests that are just as (or more) fun than the main storyline. The in-game world is huge- it took me over 4 / 5 weeks one summer to complete what seems like 25% of the quests. In every game you start in the same place and in the same situation, but after a day or two of gameplay you could think you loaded a sequel by mistake.

Jamski can outline the arguements against the game . It's not for someone who wants a straight, scripted, 2-hour storyline.