View Poll Results: Would you pay to use Apolyton without ads + other goodies?
Yes 26 13.68%
Yes, but I dont have a credit card 27 14.21%
Yes, If the price is right 56 29.47%
No 81 42.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 29, 2004, 03:02   #121
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Slayer
If this come true, we the "poor" ones that can't be able to afford 25-30$ will be attacked with a ton of pop-ups?. What will be the pop up system for the "non-suscribers" ?
in the long run, we might actually be able to reduce the ammount of ads if subscriptions are succesfull
Old February 29, 2004, 03:14   #122
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:30
Plato: I bought a lousy T-shirt from this site. I've done my 'support' deed. Plus I contribute to the content of the site instead of just 'lurking'

The reason I say 'lousy' is that the print/iron-on transfer started falling off at the first wash. Not just small pieces but like 25% of it. The next wash knocked it down to 50%. Now it looks like there's a little bit of red, white and blue confetti on it!

I'm not mad about the shirt at all. I just don't like being harrased with pop-ups. And asking me to pay for something I can accomplish, along with million's of other consumers, for free, doesn't make sense. Why would I elect to pay for it? And when I say "I", I'm refering to the majority of the members here as well.

I need more than just "no pop-ups" to entice the $$ in my wallet into joining Apolyton's wallet.
Old February 29, 2004, 03:17   #123
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Dan-mark, could you please remove those "Admin" badges? They're distracting
it was a test of the "badge" thing i mentioned. they will be gone
Old February 29, 2004, 03:19   #124
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yaroslav
#4 - What is the cost of an internal shipment of a CD? 1€ or so?
on the issue of puting stuff on a cd, we'd have to clear up the legal issues with the creators. e.g. the provide their work for postng on a site for a free, but what about distributing a cd to subscribers? most would probably not have a problem with it, but i dont think we can just assume it that way...
Old February 29, 2004, 03:23   #125
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
This seems like a good idea, if the price roughly matches a magazine subscription. Something you can justify to your wife as about the same as a Newsweek subscription.
i believe there is a way to customize what is printed on the credit card bill

Quote:
If you want to give more than a party favor, I have seen other sites that have integrated a classifieds forum for people who want to buy/sell related stuff. They integrated this service into paypal/v-bulletin and its seemed to be automated.
sounds complicated(an eutomated system integrating paypal and vbulletin and a classifieds system)
got links?
Old February 29, 2004, 03:26   #126
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
The reason I say 'lousy' is that the print/iron-on transfer started falling off at the first wash. Not just small pieces but like 25% of it. The next wash knocked it down to 50%. Now it looks like there's a little bit of red, white and blue confetti on it!
my apolyton t-shirt looks fine after lots of washes. are you sure you followed the instructions on the label? it is also recommended to turn it inside-out before washing it....
Old February 29, 2004, 03:29   #127
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Pay for the right to browse Apolyton sans advertising....Are we talking about pop-ups here? Are we talking about the re-driects when downloading and attachment or files made available by Apolyton? Or is it all advertising period?
all. everything. pop-ups, top, bottom, side, re-directs, the whole package.

Quote:
I already employ a pop-up blocker that works very well. I wouldn't pay more for someting I can already bypass myself.
how reasonable
Old February 29, 2004, 03:54   #128
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 06:30
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I confess that I used to use a pop-up blocker when I used Opera. This was mainly due to the fact that I couldn't find how to allow apolyton.net ads if that option existed at all.

Now, I use the Mozilla pop-up blocker, allowing Apolyton ads.

I agree with Markos. Blocking Apolyton ads is akin to stealing from a corner shop.
Old February 29, 2004, 05:04   #129
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:

Also, what about being able to host other files that are not Civ related but are not offensive or illegal either? I might be willing to pay a small fee for that.
An idea I would certainly agree with. I wouldn't start using Poly wholesale for all my research data, but certainly to be able to include banners for various Democracy Game newspapers et al. in upload space (that have got posters in trouble in the recent past) without risk is something that would be worth it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 29, 2004, 05:45   #130
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I voted yes but I'd just donate money. I got 3 T-shirts after all (which are still fine after many washes) and the price of transport probably exceeded what I paid for the shirts themselves.
Anyway, a lifetime or per year subscribtion would be fine for me. I don't care much for additional features, though blocking ads would be great.
Old February 29, 2004, 05:50   #131
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Yes indeed, I would have bought a t or something by now were it not for the fact that postage would hurt a LOT this side of the world, even with the US dollar as bad as it is.

Thus if I can contribute through some way that doesn't involve large amounts of money going to the international post system, I will.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 29, 2004, 11:02   #132
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Once a payment mechnaism is is place, that would be no reason not to have a option for additional voluntary contributions to the general fund that could be used for whatever, such as : general reduction of ads for unsubscribed members or capital acquisitions funds.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old February 29, 2004, 12:06   #133
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Once a payment mechnaism is is place, that would be no reason not to have a option for additional voluntary contributions to the general fund that could be used for whatever, such as : general reduction of ads for unsubscribed members or capital acquisitions funds.
I believe that Dan addressed that issue and has said no to straight donations. These things must be fee for service. Perhaps a sponsored membership for another poster? Let's just see if we can get this working first.

BTW, I want to reitirate the proposition here:

IF YOU DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO "AD FREE" THEN NOTHING CHANGES FOR YOU.

Why would anyone object to that kind of system?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 29, 2004, 12:45   #134
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 04:30
never pay for internet....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old February 29, 2004, 14:05   #135
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
my apolyton t-shirt looks fine after lots of washes. are you sure you followed the instructions on the label? it is also recommended to turn it inside-out before washing it....
I followed the directions. But, I think I just got a 'bad' one. No biggie, really. I only bought it because I enjoy visiting the site and wanted to help support it in some small way.

I have to sort of agree with Rasputin in the premise of keeping the internet free. Once people start paying for things, it opens the door for increases and more sites asking for money to visit/use their site.

Bill Gates recently advocated charging $0.01 per email as postage. I'm afraid this is the tip of the iceberg.
Old February 29, 2004, 14:07   #136
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

are you comparing us with Bill Gates?
Old February 29, 2004, 14:10   #137
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
are you comparing us with Bill Gates?
nah. Gates doesn't put out as good a product as you do.
Old February 29, 2004, 14:32   #138
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

...and if you think the internet is free, try running a site like this.

Your theme song must be "Minnie the Moocher."

Let's try to keep in mind that this idea grew out of a desire to make the site better, in a collective, cooperative way. It is optional whether you subscribe or not.

Monk
Old February 29, 2004, 15:01   #139
BigFree
Deity

So, I'm mooching now because I don't think I should have to pay to stop pop-ups. Whatever. Next you'll say I should have to pay for updates that fix bugs/holes in my OS or programs I've already purchased...

Maybe we should start charging people for the air that we breathe. Where do you draw the line? It really is Pandora's box.
Old February 29, 2004, 15:54   #140
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 12:30
If it ever gets to the point where one has to pay for every site s/he access, the Internet can kiss itself good-bye. I'd rather have it return to the utilitarian "good old days" of UseNet/data transfer/communications.

The talk of pay and stuff only came about once commercialization set in starting in the mid- to late 1990s. Why do you think scientists and others who initially got Internet I off the ground in the 1960s and now working on Internet II, which will be strictly for academic, military (presumably) and other related purposes? Commercialization.

As for those who are questioning the motives of others who may not necessarily support paying for 'Poly, has it ever crossed your mind that those same folk might be supporting charities that really make a difference? And if they have "x" amount of money, perhaps that's all they can support for the time being?

Anyway, just some rambling on my part, FWIW.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 29, 2004, 16:18   #141
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
If it ever gets to the point where one has to pay for every site s/he access, the Internet can kiss itself good-bye.
noone is discussing paying to access. end of story.
Old February 29, 2004, 16:20   #142
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
So, I'm mooching now because I don't think I should have to pay to stop pop-ups. Whatever. Next you'll say I should have to pay for updates that fix bugs/holes in my OS or programs I've already purchased...

Maybe we should start charging people for the air that we breathe. Where do you draw the line? It really is Pandora's box.
Really now? No one said you had to pay to stop popups. You have the option not to and to continue as you are now. Mark also has the option, as the OWNER of this site, to restrict access to those who block popups. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. The point is that if you choose to participate then great, if you don't then where is the problem? NOTHING changes from the way things are now if you don't.

No one is trying to make you do anything.
Old February 29, 2004, 16:27   #143
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

Quote:
in the long run, we might actually be able to reduce the ammount of ads if subscriptions are succesfull
That could be cool

Perhaps in a future I would be able to suscribe, but not a next one.

Btw, how about a FTP account for the suscribers? (ok, a suscriber that would have to pay a little bit more, perhaps) So, if I'm a creator, I can put my thigs over there to let people download it.

Alexander the Great
Old February 29, 2004, 16:41   #144
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

you can already use the Upload feature to put files on the server
Old February 29, 2004, 16:49   #145
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

Yes, I know (I think I have my first version of the upload almost full... )

I was talking about more space, kind of 60-100 MB for a little extra price.

What do you think?
Alexander the Great
Old February 29, 2004, 16:51   #146
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

yes, more upload space has already been suggested and looks possible
Old February 29, 2004, 17:26   #147
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:30
I don't think I would pay for not seeing ads, they don't bother me that much. And I don't have alot of money laying around...

I might change my opinion later though (and I do have a credit card)... I can't say.

BTW: Apolyton is a great site I apreciate the work you are doing.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old February 29, 2004, 17:34   #148
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:30
Next time I order from Amazon I'll order thru your afiliate link. Does it support you even if I buy something unrelated to games/civ?

The new iPod nano: nano
Old February 29, 2004, 17:39   #149
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

yes, and thanks
Old February 29, 2004, 17:42   #150
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 18:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
This feature basically is a donation. I mean, who doesn't have access to a popup blocker?
I don't. No need for one, most sites I go on don't use popups, and I'd want to disable it for 'Poly anyway. I've never used one, and am not really bothered about seeing it.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker