View Poll Results: Would you pay to use Apolyton without ads + other goodies?
Yes 26 13.68%
Yes, but I dont have a credit card 27 14.21%
Yes, If the price is right 56 29.47%
No 81 42.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 2, 2004, 06:17   #181
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm in - Credit Card Annual Subscription please - any reasonable figure acceptable

Stu
Old March 2, 2004, 06:34   #182
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I don't understand why there is so much debate - I love 'Poly - come here every day and am willing to pay to maintain that priviledge. Just tell me how and how much and the money is yours.

It seems to me that there are several others in a like minded mode - and those that will always want something for nothing - or simply can't afford - I can afford - bill me!

Stu
Old March 2, 2004, 08:22   #183
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:30
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Edit: You're probably right.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; March 2, 2004 at 09:37.
Old March 2, 2004, 09:25   #184
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:30
I'm sure you intended no ill will Skanky, but you should probably edit that.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:10   #185
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Shucks - missed that - anything interesting?
Old March 2, 2004, 10:14   #186
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

No, nothing at all.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:15   #187
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Yeah, right
Old March 2, 2004, 10:18   #188
Skanky Burns

On a more serious note, it was a joke but I decided to remove it rather than risk offense.
Old March 2, 2004, 12:20   #189
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
On a more serious note, it was a joke but I decided to remove it rather than risk offense.
Good move, I believe.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 2, 2004, 15:35   #190
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk

Just because there is no direct exchange of money does not mean you have not paid. If you avoided paying by, for instance, blocking the site's method of generating revenue, then YOU, by your action, did not pay. But it wasn't free. To claim so is being naive; which, surely,you are not.

I don't need to say you are anything; your words speak for themselves.

Have you perhaps heard the phrase, "You can't handle the truth."

The good thing is that if this plan works, then freeloaders will no longer be a problem and the use of a popup blocker will be unnecessary.

Monk
Post whatever you want. The naiveté is yours and your alone in this conversation.

Say that I'm cheap. Whatever. You just can't handle that I say you are wrong. Maybe it's you who can't handle the truth.

Your constant referals to those that think users have a right to block pop-ups are "moocher's" or "freeloader's" is absurd. Your whole argument is in fact weak to say the least. If YOU want to pay Apolyton to stop pop-ups for you, then YOU go ahead and pay them for it. I surely won't and it's out of principle and not for lack of money nor the lack of wanting to support Apolyton.

So why don't you be a good boy and pretend to be one of those Monks that don't speak for a bit?
Old March 2, 2004, 16:12   #191
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Post whatever you want. The naiveté is yours and your alone in this conversation.

Say that I'm cheap. Whatever. You just can't handle that I say you are wrong. Maybe it's you who can't handle the truth.

Your constant referals to those that think users have a right to block pop-ups are "moocher's" or "freeloader's" is absurd. Your whole argument is in fact weak to say the least. If YOU want to pay Apolyton to stop pop-ups for you, then YOU go ahead and pay them for it. I surely won't and it's out of principle and not for lack of money nor the lack of wanting to support Apolyton.

So why don't you be a good boy and pretend to be one of those Monks that don't speak for a bit?
Since the service being discussed is OPTIONAL and that NOTHING CHANGES if you choose not to participate, I fail to see where you have "a dog in the race"

Secondly, The argument that you are "mooching" is Mark's, not Bloody Monk's. His posts on this subject seemed pretty clear to me...maybe I'm just naive too.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 2, 2004, 17:12   #192
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ

Second, we are only going to be using PayPal for now and definitely only PayPal in the immediate future.
Ohh, grreat. This means that people like me, who don't live in USA or have a credit card that could be used without Verified by Visa, can't be subscribing to your service. Please, Dan, concider also accepting money orders, cheques and bank transfers. You're going to make people from outside USA abit crippled.
Old March 2, 2004, 17:54   #193
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

as already discussed, going with paypal only at this time is not a matter of will.

this is what can be done now. tomorrow is another day....
Old March 2, 2004, 18:04   #194
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

BigFree, you are wrongly mixing your contribution as a poster with your contibution as a visitor.

as a poster, you post and in return you get to participate in a forum full with other interesting people

but as a visitor, you see ads and in return you get to browse the site, since, well it remains alive this way

so you may be a good poster, but you're a terrible visitor

thanks to everyone supporting the idea, please keep on voting(one way or the other) if you havent already. we hope to have some concrete results of our efforts before the end of the month
Old March 2, 2004, 20:29   #195
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:30
I have nothing against ads, I loved most of the ones that were broadcast for the Superbowl. However, I dislike the way that some are delivered. Pop-ups are particulary annoying to me, that and non-solicited email with ads(spam).

I don't mind if a page has a few ads on it; heck, I expect it. I even click on a few now and then. Apolyton has had quite a few banner ads in the past. Why can't Apolyton support itself through these alone? Why can't Apolyton offer more/different services and require a subscription fee for those services as a substitute for the income normally provided through pop-ups?

Let's say Apolyton creates services that cost it $1.00 a month, per subscibed member, to provide. Then Apolyton charges a $1.25 for that service. How many $.25's does Apolyton need to support itself? This is the question that I would like to see Apolyton ask itself and it's member's.

I have already indicated I would be willing to pay for increased functionality of the site and the expansion of some of the already "free" (Moocher lover's ) feature's. I think we just need to discuss what Apolyton can do and what the members of Apolyton would be willing to pay for.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't want to pay for a service that blocks pop-ups. Since the very first time I saw one, I hated them. I don't think anyone will ever be able to change my mind about them.
Old March 2, 2004, 21:33   #196
Harry Tuttle
SporeScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I think this a is a great discussion and I would definately drop a few bucks to get some new and interesting features.

MarkG, not to be off topic from the paying subscriber idea, but have you ever been approached from a company wanting to do a promotion on the site? Like an active give away contest, or a themed promotional period for a movie, game, etc..? I know some promotions involve the annoying popup or entrance screen before you can proceed to the forum, but has anything else been discussed?
Old March 2, 2004, 23:55   #197
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:30
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
as already discussed, going with paypal only at this time is not a matter of will.
Maybe we can just send you banknotes in unmarked brown evelopes?
Old March 3, 2004, 01:13   #198
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

Ohh, grreat. This means that people like me, who don't live in USA or have a credit card that could be used without Verified by Visa, can't be subscribing to your service. Please, Dan, concider also accepting money orders, cheques and bank transfers. You're going to make people from outside USA abit crippled.
For the record (and to be explicit):

(a) You need not have to live in the United States in order to be able to use PayPal. I cannot speak to all countries, of course, but I use the service and I live in Canada (as I'm sure many of you already know).
(b) You do not necessarily have to have a credit card in order to be able to use PayPal. They have a process in place now that allows you to withdraw monies from back accounts as well as deposit into them. I am certain that there are limits on this, as with most any feature, but all of those details can be obtained from PayPal's site directly.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 3, 2004, 04:17   #199
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:

(a) You need not have to live in the United States in order to be able to use PayPal. I cannot speak to all countries, of course, but I use the service and I live in Canada (as I'm sure many of you already know).
Never claimed that either.
Quote:
(b) You do not necessarily have to have a credit card in order to be able to use PayPal. They have a process in place now that allows you to withdraw monies from back accounts as well as deposit into them. I am certain that there are limits on this, as with most any feature, but all of those details can be obtained from PayPal's site directly.
Indeed, but the support to use bank accounts for adding funds is limited and works with very few countries or just American bank accounts ATM. eChecks are something American and I can't use a credit card that works with PayPal, so the problem is that I can't add funds to PayPal by any means as it is. Neither can many others.
Old March 3, 2004, 06:11   #200
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

It's a fair point Dan. Even if it is possible more people will contribute if you can find a way to make it as easy as possible for the contributor. And if it is hard to use this method for many a backup might be advisable. Mark says there may be one in the future - hopefully you can work something out.
Old March 3, 2004, 12:54   #201
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't want to pay for a service that blocks pop-ups. Since the very first time I saw one, I hated them. I don't think anyone will ever be able to change my mind about them.
This is the heart of our disagreement. This is a point of view problem. What you fail to comprehend is that we all could use popup blockers if that were the issue. It's not. For folk who wish to support the site, this voluntary plan is an alternative to having popups.

But you probably have to want to support the site to understand this very subtle point.

FWIW, "silence" is not a feature of my order.

Monk
Old March 3, 2004, 16:08   #202
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

didnt read every post. what is the price???

you might as well have started a thread - would you buy my car for a price?

what's the price (even a ball park estimate)??? what are the goodies??? what kinda of sorry sales job is this. I'm offended by the lack of info - you people just want money. as a member of apolyton for years now (and the holder of the best name), one would think posters like myself would get a price break or first years membership free. remember - it's the loyal posters that have made apolyton what it is - it's almost more my site than markg's.
Old March 3, 2004, 16:48   #203
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Shhhhhhhs, don't tell them you've been a member for years, next thing you know, they will charge you for all of them.

-
Old March 3, 2004, 17:12   #204
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

yaroslav: In response to your response on my...

#2: I may stand to be corrected with regards to the technological limitation I cited... can you provide me with IEEE website references on this perhaps or documentation from another reputable source? Regardless, let me say that this is not a point that has been considered nor will it be entertained at this time.

#4: In taking a different track from Markos' valid note on this... you refer to "internal shipment"s. I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Are you saying internally within a country? Even if Markos and I were to disseminate the CDs personally, that only covers Greece and Canada respectively.
----------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Quote:
Obtain a free @computer.org e-mail address forwarding your e-mail to your current e-mail address as long as you are a member.
http://www.computer.org/join/benefits.htm

I don't know the techinals details, sorry

It was a typo, I wanted to wrote international, sorry.
Old March 3, 2004, 19:59   #205
Promethus
Settler

I pay $5 a year to Weather Underground for add free service w/unlimited use of radar tracking. I would do the same for this site. Yoy have +30,000 members? If only 1/3 payed $5 that would generate $50,000 a year.
Old March 3, 2004, 20:36   #206
Skanky Burns

There have only been around 5600+ users who have posted in the last year. The number of active posters (defined by me as posting within the past month), who are most likely to be paying, is around 1200+.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:36   #207
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:

Never claimed that either.
Hence my "explicit" note.

Quote:

Indeed, but the support to use bank accounts for adding funds is limited and works with very few countries or just American bank accounts ATM. eChecks are something American and I can't use a credit card that works with PayPal, so the problem is that I can't add funds to PayPal by any means as it is. Neither can many others.
Your points are taken; however, they will not change our position in the now and at least into the immediate future.

First, we do not want to be in a situation where we are using multiple providers to handle the accounting portion of this process for reasons ranging from security to efficiency. Next, we want to work with a provider for which we have both positive personal experience and third-party recommendations; PayPal fits this bill. Lastly, no less within the context of the second point, we sought a provider that can offer as wide a range of accessible, cost efficient and diverse services as possible. PayPal nicely meets this criterion as well.

On a closing note, perhaps if enough people wrote into PayPal indicating their interest in using an expansion of their current offerings -- and a sufficient number of people were more or less making the same point(s) -- that they would respond affirmatively through action as well as or even instead of words.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 4, 2004, 06:30   #208
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

OK, I voted Yes, if the price is right.

Main reason for me, I do this side and would like to see it staying alive.

FYI, I am not using any popup-blocker as they don't really bother me, the stupid advert's in my mail-box, THAT is a different story.

Price I wouldn't mind paying: ~25€ per year or a lifetime membership (at least you can then forget about the hassle to pay every year).

For the people not having CC, we are a fairly big commmunity and somebody else you might know from here might have a CC, so you would just need to transfer the money to him/her and he/she could pay for you, no big deal really...........only problem could be for paypal/Apolyton to determine for which user the payment is......

one thing I would like to see (why I am also willing to 'pay extra'):

Better bandwidth and less downtime

I also wouldn't mind seeing an indication, like the civgroups, that you are a proud member of Apolyton
Old March 4, 2004, 07:25   #209
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

I voted no but I would like to add a few things.

Paying to get rid off ads is not really the problem as far as I am concerned, I am actually afraid that this would be the beginning of a new process leading to a fully paying site.

I agree that managing such a site is time and money consuming and that funds must be find in order to keep things going on. But the free nature of this site is also what makes it so entertaining because people all around the world can come here freely and share ideas about their favorite hobby. Until now I thought that the Apolyton spirit could be summed up like this.

I am horrified when I read serious posts about making some goodies available according to the amount of money you want, or can, pay. Another tribute to the power of money... I can't imagine it. Why not a pay per view fee, 1€ or 0.75$ the 10 web pages?

Old March 4, 2004, 07:30   #210
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
If it ever gets to the point where one has to pay for every site s/he access, the Internet can kiss itself good-bye.
noone is discussing paying to access. end of story.
Tamerlin, just in case you missed it