Old February 28, 2004, 18:01   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Don't Come to Hangzhou!!!
Not if you value your life. Let's see, in the last two weeks I've heard a story of a young college student getting beaten to death and of a family getting murdered in their home by thieves.

Easy enough to dismiss until you go to a bar only to have someone try to kill your friend. I just got back from the joke of a police station here, where nothing would have been said to us, if we didn't go there on our own.

One of the first things a Chinese person told me before I ever went to China was to stay with a large group of friends, if I travelled outside of the city. Otherwise, someone would rob me and kill me. This event took place inside the province capital. I'm sure the bartender would have done something to stop it, if he wasn't so busy kicking my friend in the face.

The biggest problem is the complete lack of action by the police. They questions the Chinese people together in one room, while they separated the foreigners. The Chinese suspects were allowed to leave before all the statements were taken. Of course, bystanders were allowed to come in and watch.

Now my friend has to worry about retaliation because the guy who attacked him may have Chinese mob connections. And my friend was just about to have his wife arrive here. It's unlikey that my friend will stay the month.

**** this crap!
Old February 28, 2004, 18:03   #2
Harry Tuttle
SporeScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:32
Ah damn! I really wanted to go there too! Shucks.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:04   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Stay safe, DaShi.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:05   #4
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

It's all obviously PROPOGANDA!
Old February 28, 2004, 18:06   #5
Zylka
King

What did your friend do?
Get him hooked up with the Yakuza.. much more class an operation than anything Chinese (unless out of HK)
Old February 28, 2004, 18:11   #6
DaShi
Emperor

This is what he did. He liked a song so he went up to a girl he thought worked there and asked her to turn up the music. She said that she didn't work there and to talk to the bartender. Just as he turned to speak with the bartender, a beer bottle hit the girl and she screamed. Then her boyfriend, who threw the bottle, jumped my friend and started pounding on him. When my friend realized that he was going to stop, he began to fight back to defend himself. At this time, the Chinese who worked in the bar started attacking my friend while another friend and I tried to hold everyone we could back. Finally, we got our friend back to his seat. The attacker ran in the kitchen and came out with a cleaver. My other friend told my friend to run, which he did.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:12   #7
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Stay safe, DaShi.
I felt safer in America, to tell the truth.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:16   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

No offense DaShi, but can you really expect a developing nation to be ultra-stable?
Old February 28, 2004, 18:18   #9
DaShi
Emperor

I don't expect this **** from any nation that claims to be developing. I can understand a bar fight, but the actions of the bar staff and the police were unacceptable.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:18   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The world's oldest civilization is a developing nation?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:23   #11
Zylka
King

Right on, so he nailed his gf with the bottle. Impressive little man

In any case.. come on guys. UR and TKG will be here soon enough to let you know how much more dangerous and law enforcement irresponsible the US is

SRC= BOAUWLING 4 COLUMBINE;- STATS, 1, 000,4455,00 CAMBODIANS DEAD FROM AMERICAN IMPERIALSTSMS
Old February 28, 2004, 18:25   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
The world's oldest civilization is a developing nation?
I'm sure this was a joke, so I'm not going to call you on it.

Quote:
I can understand a bar fight, but the actions of the bar staff and the police were unacceptable.
Is China the only developing nation you've been to?
Old February 28, 2004, 18:28   #13
DaShi
Emperor

So you think this is ok from "nation of laws"?
Old February 28, 2004, 18:31   #14
Nubclear

I'm not saying it's OK, but I'm not saying it's entirely suprirsing either.
I think this is just another one of your anti-Chinese trolls.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:33   #15
DaShi
Emperor

Then **** off. Please.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:35   #16
Zylka
King

yeah totally man
I mean this is like out of the blue trolling. nothing to do with going to a foreign country and having your friends face get kicked in by locals and then f*d over by the Police
Old February 28, 2004, 18:36   #17
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Then **** off. Please.
So you only want sympathy posts here? Fine:
I sympathise with you. It should not have happend.
However your smart enough to know that China is developing and as such theres going to be much crime and corruption.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:38   #18
DaShi
Emperor

I can still be pissed about it.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:39   #19
Nubclear

Did I say you couldn't?
Old February 28, 2004, 18:42   #20
DaShi
Emperor

Then what are you on about? If it's my 'trolling' in other threads, then take it somewhere else. Start a thread on it if you want. Show some tact in these kinds of situations. My friend was nearly killed.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:43   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Tass, no joke.

I'm genuinely surprised, given that China has been civilized for roughly 5,000 years.

Chinese don't exactly have a reputation as gang-bangers.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:45   #22
The Mad Monk
Emperor

DaShi, are you staying on? Is there a way out of your contract?
Old February 28, 2004, 18:50   #23
DaShi
Emperor

I could probably leave my contract because of this, but I'm not. I'm a bit pissed right now, but China is still an interesting and fun place to live. I'll see it out through the semester then decided where I go from there. Might change towns. Also, there is a girl here that I'm reluctant to leave behind again.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:54   #24
DaShi
Emperor

My friend will probably leave. He's only been here a month and he was expecting his wife to arrive in April. He just doesn't feel safe here. Also, his best friend, who invited him to come, is a little embarrassed about the whole thing. One of our best teachers, who was at the bar with us, is really upset because he had planned to make China an important part of his life. He was planning to leave Hangzhou anyway after this semester. Hopefully, he'll get the job he wants in Hong Kong, which will allow him to keep ties with China.
Old February 29, 2004, 02:56   #25
Nubclear

Quote:
Really? Whenever I think of living in China I think of:

-Millions of characters
-Bright lights
-Prostitutes
-The Asian Mafia

I thought all developing nations were seen (sometimes rightfully) as a crime haven?
Old February 29, 2004, 03:33   #26
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 11:32
We all already knew how weak the rule of law is in China. That cancer is now even effecting Hong Kong.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 29, 2004, 05:19   #27
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Yep. Now organized crime will arrive to HK, as well!

Old February 29, 2004, 05:25   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 12:32
Quote:
They do here. A major crime problem is gangs, and 99% of them are Chinese/Asian gangs.
Old February 29, 2004, 08:09   #29
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 20:32
What kind of bars do you frequent?
Old February 29, 2004, 08:10   #30
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 20:32
Plus maybe there are local customs there. I remember once addressing directly a Japanese woman while her husband was next to her. I'm sure out of courtesy he didn't tell me anything but his wife blushed to the high heavens and started bowing to me uncontrollably.
You can't know all the customs.