Old February 29, 2004, 08:16   #31
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
So bad bar+ignorance of local customs=bad news.

Then again maybe your friend just got lucky but he got VERY lucky then. Anyway having the toerh guy hiring mobsters to kill him goes a bit too far isn't it? Unless the bar was a real shithole and the people who frequent there are too. But it does sounds a bit like paranoia but you know best. maybe.
Old February 29, 2004, 08:42   #32
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 14:32
Jesus, that's ****ed up, DaShi...
Old February 29, 2004, 10:45   #33
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
It has nothing to do with local customs. China doesn't have as many customs for courtesy as Japan does. They even have less than the West except when addressing a superior.

This bar tries to encourage foreigners to come there only because they want their money. I've been there before with no probelms. This guy was just a *****. I've heard that he has gotten into fights before with foreigners and even other Chinese. It clearly wasn't about his girlfriend as he had no concern for her after throwing a bottle at her face. Just some frustrated loser with low self-esteem.
Old February 29, 2004, 11:21   #34
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Chinese don't exactly have a reputation as gang-bangers.
They have a 5000 year reputation for gang thugery and corruption, at least among those who can read. Even know the goverment is busy touting china umteenth crusade against endemic corruption.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old February 29, 2004, 12:49   #35
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:32
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
They have a 5000 year reputation for gang thugery and corruption, at least among those who can read.
Old February 29, 2004, 12:52   #36
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Yep. Now organized crime will arrive to HK, as well!

Aren't gangs everywhere? I mean, the Yakuza is particularly notorious. Hack, they even operate in the open.
Old February 29, 2004, 13:52   #37
Mr. Harley
Prince

Unfortunately DaShi, lefty is correct in his statement concerning corruption and gang thuggery. Very often if you want complete safety in areas like that, you are better off finding who to pay off (gangs and/or police) and paying them a monthly protection fee. The problem is they will jack it up because as a foreigner they both dislike you and perceive you as having more cash. China has never had a judicial system that resembles what we have here in the west, and what we consider corruption and blatant unfairness are the norm. The only chance the typical Westerner has is if he is connected to a large company who has an active and desired prescence in the district. Then you get action. If you are working for someone, or your friend is, with connections have HIM (her is unlikely in China, again for cultural reasons) file a complaint with his equivalent in the police system.

Throughout Asia there is very little, if not absolutely no, tradition of tolerance. I assume you are fluent in Chinese which helps considerably, but you are still, and any children if you should you marry a local woman, be considered second class citizens at best. This has nothing to do with "developing" or "industrial", Japan is exactly the same way. Tibet might have been the only exception, which makes my point for me.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old February 29, 2004, 14:06   #38
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 11:32
DaShi, do you and your friend happen to be Japanese? If you are, then you are screwed in China. They would hate you with a passion.
Old February 29, 2004, 14:07   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

:
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 29, 2004, 15:06   #40
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I had been reading of various eras of gang thuggery, warlord thuggery, and omnipresent corruption there since I was a child. Its modern forms were popular subjects in both USA and Brit film industries from the 1930s onward. I suppose is is not a popular subject among the current censors within China, but the reputation is almost stereo-typlical here, much of it as portrayed in films is BS of course.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old February 29, 2004, 15:18   #41
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 20:32
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
It has nothing to do with local customs. China doesn't have as many customs for courtesy as Japan does. They even have less than the West except when addressing a superior.

This bar tries to encourage foreigners to come there only because they want their money. I've been there before with no probelms. This guy was just a *****. I've heard that he has gotten into fights before with foreigners and even other Chinese. It clearly wasn't about his girlfriend as he had no concern for her after throwing a bottle at her face. Just some frustrated loser with low self-esteem.
Then I guess your friend just got very lucky... And what else would they want you for DaShi if not for your money??!!!

In any case it doesn't explain the bartender beating your friend. If anything he should have tried to calm the spirits. **** happens
Old February 29, 2004, 16:34   #42
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Yeh, I'm sort of confused as to why the bartender got involved.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 29, 2004, 23:40   #43
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
I had been reading of various eras of gang thuggery, warlord thuggery, and omnipresent corruption there since I was a child.
I don't deny that occurred some of the time. With a history of thousands of years, that is to be expected. There were good years, there were bad years. Some emperors were good (a few were even great), some were tyrants, and some were idiots. The country was unified at times, splintered at others.

Sounds quite normal to me.
Old February 29, 2004, 23:44   #44
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
China has never had a judicial system that resembles what we have here in the west, and what we consider corruption and blatant unfairness are the norm.
No doubt you gleaned this knowledge from not so scholarly sources.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:33   #45
DaShi
Emperor

Live with it Urbie.

Lord M. neither myself or my friend are japanese, contrary to popular belief. Our group consisted of two Americans, a French man, and an Irish man.

The bartender is an *******. Afterwards at the police station he was trying to be all friendly with us. Afraid of losing foreign customers.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:50   #46
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 11:32
The police were probably trying to squeeze a few bucks out of your pockets. Corrupt as usual.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:32   #47
DaShi
Emperor

I think that the police didn't really care and just wanted to close the case as soon as possible. But some of the other foreigners who have lived here longer were screaming "racism."
Old March 1, 2004, 02:38   #48
Drake Tungsten
Deity

You aren't in any danger of being deported, are you? That's what will happen to me if I ever get involved in a fight here, whether I'm at fault or not.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:45   #49
DaShi
Emperor

No, I wasn't really involved. I just tried to help people up and hold people back. Generally, keep people from getting hurt. Besides our school can't afford to loose a foreign teacher. Plus, some of the other teachers involved mentioned leaving which set them in a panic. Generally, the school is worried about losing face from this situation and sending us home would only create bad publicity for it.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:50   #50
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:32
Two things that surprised me.

First, the obvious hatred of foreigners. The bartender took the side of the Chinese person even though he clearly was the aggressor.

Second, the indifference of police to crimes committed against foreigners.

DaShi, Perhaps you should talk to the Party about this.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:50   #51
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
You aren't in any danger of being deported, are you? That's what will happen to me if I ever get involved in a fight here, whether I'm at fault or not.
So I could go there, throw a punch at you, and you'd be sent back to the US?

Old March 1, 2004, 02:57   #52
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
So I could go there, throw a punch at you, and you'd be sent back to the US?
No, because you're a foreigner too. I could beat you to within an inch of your life (the most likely outcome) and no one would care...

I just can't fight with Japanese people.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:00   #53
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
DaShi, Perhaps you should talk to the Party about this.
We are. Our school has 'connections.'
Old March 1, 2004, 03:06   #54
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
No, because you're a foreigner too.

But surely they'd expell you and not me, since

1. Your a Japanese sympathiser
2. Your a capitalist
3. Your not a communist
4. I'm a communist
5. I'm not a capitalist

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I could beat you to within an inch of your life
Remember that I'm a commie. I'm experienced in the ways of killing people

Quote:
I just can't fight with Japanese people.
Wouldn't that be encouraged in China?
Old March 1, 2004, 03:07   #55
DaShi
Emperor

He's not in China. He's in Japaneseland.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:09   #56
Nubclear

Bah.

Japan
China
Old March 1, 2004, 03:13   #57
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
He's not in China. He's in Japaneseland.
You'd think the flag would've given it away, but I guess one of Tass's several wives must've been distracting him.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:13   #58
DaShi
Emperor

I thought you were a communist Tass. China's about as communist as America these days. The Japanese are closer to communism than either of those two.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:15   #59
Nubclear

Japan is uberevilimperialist though.
China is a modernizing nation with a great culture, a long and fresh history, and a great modern day nation

Quote:
You'd think the flag would've given it away,
Oh bah.

Quote:
but I guess one of Tass's several wives must've been distracting him.
Go away Gaijin.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:16   #60
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Go away Gaijin.
I'm 6000 miles away from Utah. Can't get much farther away than that... thank god.