Old February 29, 2004, 06:47   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:33
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Hive call to Planetary Government for CPU-PEACE ceasefire!
Check this thread out if you haven't already

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=109639

Here, ostensibly on behalf of the Hive, OctX is calling for a ceasfire to the CyCon-PEACE war and, as if that wasn't enough - a return of PEACE bases to that faction!

First off - NOBODY from CyCon post in that thread until we can formulate some kind of official response. I know you're just itching to post, so am I, but I really think we should take the greatest of care here.

First off I have to say that I will vote against any negotiations that lead to returning PEACE bases to them. Peace with PEACE is a matter I feel less strongly on.

Now to how to respond to this - first we need to see if we can get an indication of how the Drones feel about this. This could be some Hive bulls**t, or they could have made an agreement with the Drones about this, however I note these is no mention of the Drones in the post. What could the Hive possibly gain from a CyCon-PEACE peace? Any ideas? Of course if we returned bases to PEACE that does nothing but weaken us, and that is why I consider it out of the question.

I think for the moment we have to acknowledge their concerns officially, and ask where reports of mistreatment come from. We need to let them know there is no mistreatment of PEACE citizens, in fact we are welcoming them to join us as equals in the peaceful reestablishment of former PEACE bases, once the aggressive and deceitful PEACE military dictatorship establishment has been ousted. We need to remind the Hive and the whole Planet community of PEACE's past transgressions and how it is only logical that we eliminated the threat in the interest of Planet-wide peace and the PEACE civilians themselves.

Such an action was not taken lightly either, realising that other factions would become concerned, but we must reassure them that war was not declared without diplomatic initiatives failing on PEACE's side, and we must rush to reassure the Hive and all other factions that we value them as trading partners and as fellow survivors of Planetfall, with a right to develop their social and political agendas without interference from other factions. It was in the first place a PEACE offense on CyCon's such rights that led to this war in the first place, and once the dangerous PEACE leadership has been removed from the ability to cause any further harm peace shall reign again and all can sleep in their domes a little easier.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 29, 2004, 07:33   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 20:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That sounds like a declaration of war to me. Sounds like a trap. I think they dont even expect us to comply, since they know their demansds are impossible to meet. Prolly they have plotted with peace and drones about all out war against us and this is the excuse for it.

- Paul Valery
Old February 29, 2004, 07:37   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I'm not so sure....

Why would they bother with this if they had full agreement from the Drones and PEACE? They are just warning us in advance this way.

Old February 29, 2004, 07:43   #4
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

So what is this? An attempt to blackmail us?

If its a casus belli wich I suspect it is. Maybe hive has some class after all, and doesnt want to just launch surprise attack on us. They want to do this, you know, the way gentlemen work out their disputes. Sport.

I'd like to see their answer on why hasnt PEACE suggested this. Whats Hives part in all this, what do they get? Also we must contact drones and ask what they think about this.

- Paul Valery
Old February 29, 2004, 07:49   #5
laurentius
King

"Planetary Council must achieve a political solution to condemn the CPU invasion of the PEACE territory and to establish that all violence and acts of terrorism from the CPU are unacceptable."

Anyone else getting flashbacks from Civ2 and the signing of X-pacts to contain Y's aggression?

- Paul Valery
Old February 29, 2004, 08:07   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

This is just an excuse to start the war and attack our probe skimship. How about replying that we already offered a peace and a return of PEACE bases to that faction (as part of our unification offer), and that we are more than willing to talk about this. We should also continue to say that we have learnt the position of a Hive ship and all PEACE ships, and say that we too have a probe skimship and three impact cruisers in range of those ships, so that we could agree to a place to meet and discuss on the seas, and settle the issue among the three involved parties. We really would be saying of course to the Hive that if they attack our probe skimship, their plasma cutter would be toast too. It's our only chance to perhaps delay the war I think.
Old February 29, 2004, 08:56   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 18:33
i agree with not giving any bases to PEACE, maniac warning is good. and i am even ok with returning to status quo with PEACE...they are almost destroyed anyways. the only problem is if we keep PEACE alive is that we always need a strong force in that area to take on any attack by PEACE. so it would be better to just wipe them out...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old February 29, 2004, 09:47   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I think we should go at this with a softly, softly approach. If they want to talk, then let's talk about negotiations and what can be done, and whilst we are doing so PEACE gets ever nearer destruction. If they threaten us blatantly then we warn them off, and we will have had several (hopefully) turns warning with this message.

I say we should reply in a friendly manner, looking for a way to reassure the Hive that we hope for nothing but friendly relations with them. Things would have to go a lot further, if they are using this diplomatic parlance, before an attack on our probe ship is on the cards. If they attack us straight away regardless then there is nothing we can do to stop that now in game anyway. I see no need to SEEK to antagonise them with veiled warnings like that when we can try to keep them at ease, by faking being genuine.

Old February 29, 2004, 12:04   #9
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

so give them the idea we want to talk and maybe after awhile of talking give them the idea we want to give PEACE of bases back
Old February 29, 2004, 13:06   #10
laurentius
King

...but not going any further ?

- Paul Valery
Old February 29, 2004, 14:37   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

This sure sounds like a declaration of war!

But there are some possibilites:

1) They have already prepared for war and this thread is just for dramatic effect. In this case we can`t avoid it.

2)Two - they are just trying to provoke us, bluff or warn us in some strange way.

My opinion reject demands, say that we already offered Unification to PEACE, and that offer is still open for them.
State that we are doing a good thing by destroying PEACE.
We need to respond that we are ready for conflict by indicating that we will destroy PEACE at all costs. We do not want war, but we are ready for it if Hive provokes us.

And also " We value Hive friendship, blah, blah, blah,"
Old February 29, 2004, 15:12   #12
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Re: Hive call to Planetary Government for CPU-PEACE ceasefire!
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
What could the Hive possibly gain from a CyCon-PEACE peace? Any ideas?
Techs, trading, being able to undercut us. It won't be good.

Quote:
I think for the moment we have to acknowledge their concerns officially, and ask where reports of mistreatment come from. We need to let them know there is no mistreatment of PEACE citizens, in fact we are welcoming them to join us as equals in the peaceful reestablishment of former PEACE bases, once the aggressive and deceitful PEACE military dictatorship establishment has been ousted. We need to remind the Hive and the whole Planet community of PEACE's past transgressions and how it is only logical that we eliminated the threat in the interest of Planet-wide peace and the PEACE civilians themselves.
I agree completely. We must deny all acts of terrorism. They don't exist. No PEACE citizens are being killed or harmed. We have offered them unification, to join us, and they have refused. They have refused all our efforts to negotiate. We target their military only. We should, as you say, explain their past transgressions, why we started this war. We should also politely inform them that this is not a Planetary Council matter, since it started before there was a Planetary Council. We should be firm that no PEACE bases will be returned.

Also, if they want to talk attrocities, we can talk about their arguments for nervestapling, and that they have no right calling for a discussion and political solution while they run a Police State in their faction. We have tried diplomatic solutions and they failed, we then took action, and are continuing to take action. We want to end this war, and have offered PEACE a unification, whereby there leadership joins ours, they become CyCon citizens, and the war ends. We need to stress absolutely that we do have committed no atrocities at all. We also need to bring a case of libel against Octavian X in the Planetary Council, for unsubstanciated allegations.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 29, 2004, 15:44   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

How's this?

Quote:
The Hive is concerned about reports of increasing violations of international humanitarian law.
CPU has committed no such violations. Humanitarian law forbids the use of Planet Busting technology and nervestapling (anything else?), neither of which have been used by CPU. We would ask that that comment be removed, or these reports produced, so that we might cross examine them and show them to be false.

Quote:
We are gravely concerned that given the increasing likelihood of a thorough occupation of the PEACE territory by the CPU forces, coupled with the approaching winter, that the situation in PEACE has the potential to become an even greater humanitarian disaster.
Former PEACE bases are constantly having more infrastructure and facilities built in them. They are in a better position to survive the winter than they were under PEACE rule. Also, CPU objects to such emotive terms. It is not PEACE territory, it is CPU territory. Seeing that the CPU currently has a Democratic system of government, the former PEACE provinces have an equal say in the governing of the CPU as any other provinces (we could even have a governor of former PEACE bases, and claim that they are also self governing, like PUT?) The same is not true of the Hive, where all citizens are crushed under the rule of your Police State.

Quote:
The Hive believes that the Planetary Council has the overriding obligation to stop the suffering of innocent civilians and prevent a de-stabilizing conflict spreading to other factions on the planet.
Innocent civilians are not suffering. Former PEACE bases are productive and are having facilities built. War will not spread to other factions, presume those other factions do not interfere. We agreed with the Hive government before the war that they would remain neutral. We have no, nor ever have had, plans to attack any other faction. We question the logic of a faction claiming that our unrelated war is de-stabilizing the region, when they decided to remove the Pact between our factions. Surely that has done more to de-stabilize relations between our factions, than a completely unrelated war. As we have said on many occasions, our war with PEACE was not an indication of aggressive intent, it was an act of desperation at the way we had been treated by PEACE. We have explained the way we were treated by them, and why we felt our relationship was beyond repair due to that. We are surprised that, while at the time the Hive had no problem with it, at least none that was raised during many discussions with Hive ambassadors, but now decide to mention it. Indeed, we believe this may have more to do with our agreement with the former PUT than any concern over the welfare of former PEACE citizens. We would ask the Hive, if this is the case, to stop playing politics with former PEACE citizens. To stop trying to use their issues to take a swipe at CPU, and to be honest with this Council. If you wish to discuss atrocities we are more than happy to, both those that you falsely accuse us of, as well as the way you refuse to give your citizens a say in even the most basic matters.

Quote:
The Hive motions the Council to take immediate action on this matter in order to prevent a humanitarian disaster and to prevent a threat to stability throughout Planet.
There is no humanitarian disaster, and the only threat to stability is if we are attacked, or if another faction interferes in the war between CPU and PEACE.

Quote:
The Hive affirms the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the PEACE and the right of all refugees and displaced persons to return to their homes
CPU affirms the right of all Hive citizens to self rule. However we understand that the Hive is a sovereign state, and as such we have no right to have a say in Hive policy. All refugees and displaced persons may return to their homes. We do not, and have never, targeted civilians. We have no desire to harm anyone but the PEACE military, and all former PEACE citizens have the full rights every CPU citizen has.

Quote:
The Hive calls for an immediate cease fire between PEACE and the CPU.
We have offered a unification agreement to PEACE, where we would allow all PEACE citizens to become fully-fledged CPU citizens, with all the rights that entails. We would allow their government to join with ours, and become one faction. That was flatly refused. We have tried to begin negotiations, but PEACE have refused to discuss anything with us.

Quote:
We emphasize that the authority of the Planetary Council must achieve a political solution to condemn the CPU invasion of the PEACE territory and to establish that all violence and acts of terrorism from the CPU are unacceptable.
There have been no acts of terrorism, and so I would ask that comment be withdrawn. The Planetary Council has no place in a war between two nations. We feel we were wronged by PEACE, and tried diplomacy first. The relationship was unsalvageable, as we have explained before. Our last option was war. We have committed no atrocities, no acts of terrorism, and have targeted nothing but the PEACE military. We have done nothing whatsoever that is banned by international law. Therefore, the Planetary Council has no mandate to intervene - It is there to uphold international law, and no international law has been broken.

- Drogue Beta-8, Foreign Affairs Function for CPU.

Last edited by Drogue; February 29, 2004 at 21:27.
Old February 29, 2004, 18:06   #14
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Nice response, I like it. Perhaps a small correction for this:

Quote:
welfare of PEACE citizens. We would ask the Hive, if this is the case, to stop playing politics with PEACE citizens
welfare of former PEACE citizens. We would ask the Hive, if this is the case, to stop playing politics with former PEACE citizens

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 29, 2004, 18:24   #15
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
That sounds like a declaration of war to me. Sounds like a trap. I think they dont even expect us to comply, since they know their demansds are impossible to meet.
I expect them to delay the posting of their turn as long as possible to see if we response to this 'Planetary Council' thing.

I also could be a way to give PEACE an extra turn to found a new base. It's always possible that that cp on Yardarm has encountered a MW or something, thus that with the conquest of Atlantis in 2158 PEACE is finished.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 29, 2004, 21:24   #16
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
welfare of former PEACE citizens. We would ask the Hive, if this is the case, to stop playing politics with former PEACE citizens
Much better, thanks

Old February 29, 2004, 21:34   #17
Drogue
staff

Posted reply. I also posted a short reply to FlameFlash, reiterating the points about why we started the war, about their actions. If it is unacceptable it can be removed, but as EAF, I felt it ok to reply.

Old March 1, 2004, 07:58   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Drogie - just read your response. Overall it was rather excellent. There were one or two words there that sounded slightly provocative to me, and I would not have used them in your place, but that is not for me to judge, and anyway your response was, as mentioned, pretty damn good.

Where to go from here? They have basically reiterated everything they have said before. They have no proof of mistreatment, nor do they have support from any but half-enthused PEACE member posts. We have to tell them that we stand by all decisions, we again invite PEACE to the Peace table if they are willing to talk, and maybe even invite the Hive to get PEACE to the diplomatic table if they feel they can convice them. We have no expansionistic agenda, and we were merely removing a threat to the the stability of all Planet. The threat is removed and we are eager to live in peace with all factions, provided they are willing to live in peace along with us.

NO provocation. I don't care how much any PEACE or Hive member foams at the mouth, we must stay the cautious polite diplomat the whole time. Emotion will only aggravate proceedings.

I will post again later once I have read ofer the Hive's responses in some detail.

Old March 1, 2004, 10:13   #19
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Drogie - just read your response. Overall it was rather excellent. There were one or two words there that sounded slightly provocative to me, and I would not have used them in your place, but that is not for me to judge, and anyway your response was, as mentioned, pretty damn good.
Thank you I wanted to be firm. I changed bits to make it less aggressive, aggression is not my intention. However a firm rebuttle was needed, IMHO. I am not going to tone down so much that my meaning is changed, however I do not intend to inflate.

In other words, I agree that it was slightly provocative in places, but only in the way that a firm denial must be.

Quote:
Where to go from here? They have basically reiterated everything they have said before. They have no proof of mistreatment, nor do they have support from any but half-enthused PEACE member posts. We have to tell them that we stand by all decisions, we again invite PEACE to the Peace table if they are willing to talk, and maybe even invite the Hive to get PEACE to the diplomatic table if they feel they can convice them. We have no expansionistic agenda, and we were merely removing a threat to the the stability of all Planet. The threat is removed and we are eager to live in peace with all factions, provided they are willing to live in peace along with us.
IMHO, we must reiterate that we were wronged, and point out the the UN charter is not the mandate for the Planetary Council. Atrocities are defined in SMAC, and we have not committed any. Atrocity prohibitions havbe not been lifted, and we have stuck to them. If the Hive want to include acts of aggression as banned by it, then we will include self-governance too. A Police State is as reprehensible as a war.

Quote:
NO provocation. I don't care how much any PEACE or Hive member foams at the mouth, we must stay the cautious polite diplomat the whole time. Emotion will only aggravate proceedings.
Of course. This is my department. I like being rational and firm in the face of provocation, because I can't be emotional about it. I'm actually surprisingly like a true CyCon when it comes to debates

Quote:
I will post again later once I have read ofer the Hive's responses in some detail.
I am preparing a response too, as with all official responces, it will be posted her before being posted on the main forum, to help iron out any changes needed.

Old March 1, 2004, 10:36   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I don't have a full response, but a few points on what they (and we) have said so far.

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
War will not spread to other factions, presume those other factions do not interfere.
They seized on this with this reply:

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
They threaten this Council if it attempts to do its moral duty in freeing the People of PEACE against the invaders.
I think we should explain that their interpretation is incorrect. By 'interference' we mean military action interfering with our own faction. We would naturally protect ourselves against any such action. Any diplomatic initiative will of course be welcomed and worked with - we are not aggressors, but we strive for stability and peace on Planet.

A few times over Voltaire goes on about how we 'do not deny our guilt'. We are not guilty of anything except removing the military capability of a rogue state that threatened peace and efficiency in our region.

Quote:
This Council should be well informed that the CyCon keep tight controls on information coming out of PEACE bases.
We are not keeping PEACE citizens from saying anything. We present only the facts. Sadly this does not mean they will be accepted as such by all, as is the case here.

Finally Voltaire talks about how we have broken international law by invading a sovereign state. How about we say that we have broken no treaty that was signed by Planet factions, and although the right of a sovereign state to control its own affairs is an ideal held too by the CPU, there have to be considerations made for security and safety. There are certainly instances where sovereign nations were 'invaded' in order to remove dangerous elements - just look at the beginning of the 21st Century. Once the kerfuffle had died down the world situation was unquestionably safer for billions.

Put it this way - if a faction attacked Hive interests or threatened Hive citizens' safety and wellbeing, would the Hive not react to protect them? That is the case here, where elements within the PEACE authorities were making their untoward attentions all too well known. Many Cyborgs were cheated and lost their livelihoods because of direct witting action by the PEACE leadership. The selfsame leadership was abusing their own citizens, and in CyCon's establishing code of equality for all, this was not acceptable. By removing the PEACE leadership we will have succeeded in making Planet safer and more conducive to peace for ALL factions. As the Hive states they share the same policy, why are they not aiding in the construction of a stronger peace?

Old March 1, 2004, 10:49   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Overall I guess just reiterate we are doing this for improved peace and to eliminate the threat of a rogue faction without harming the civilian populace who want no part of their leadership's behaviour. We are committed to peace as a goal, and committed to working with our brothers at the Hive, with the Drones and with the PEACE citizenry for the benefit of all. Diplomatic measures are welcomed, and if the Hive wants a settlement then we should recommend they convince PEACE to come to the negotiations table they have ignored for so long now.

We ask the Hive to look at the history of cooperation we have had until just recently, and to help rekindle that. We are puzzled and hurt by their apparent turn against us, and ask that they try to work with us rather than throw accusations and make demands themselves. We should urge the Hive leadership not to buy in to the unsubstantiated claims of some and ask them why they are jeopardising peace further in this way.

Oh, and one more thing - we should ask them why they have waited so long before deciding to have a problem with the elimination of PEACE's offensive capabilities - there was not a word against it until now, and we have to question their timing. (Of course they are just worried we are getting too powerful with the union with PUT )

Old March 1, 2004, 11:37   #22
Drogue
staff

Here is my reply to Kody:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
I felt I should clarify something that may have been misunderstood at the time. The Hive stated to the cycon at the start of the war that it wished it remain netural. The majority vote was not to get involved either way at the time. There was no agreement made with the Cycon, simply the Hive stated that it was not interested in getting involved.
I suppose it depends on your definition of an agreement. The Hive stated that it wished to remain neutral, that it saw it as a private affair between PEACE and the CyCon, and that it would not aid PEACE (militarily or by giving them military technology). Personally, I would consider that an agreement. However with it being so long ago, I am afraid that I do not have the PMs and chatlogs still.

I am merely questioning why now? Why are the Hive, a faction that has helped us in the war, providing us with infiltration information on PEACE, now saying that they disagree with it. You were informed of the war many years before we actually declared it. I went too far, int he eyes of many of my faction, in telling your Ambassador about our plans for war long before they were made public, including when it was brought forward two years. At the time, the Hive voiced no concerns whatsoever about our actions, and indeed accepted our explanation for those events. Why have you suddenly changed. I will reiterate. You have changed because since our unification with PUT we have become stronger, and you are trying to find an excuse to weaken us. I would again ask the Hive to stop playing politics with the issues of former PEACE citizens.

My reply to Octavian X:

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
The Hive will restate it's message: we request the return of ALL PEACE bases to the soverign government of the PEACE people, as well as proper repirations from the CPU to PEACE to pay for the obvious pain and suffering that the citizens of the PEACE have gonbe though.
I will ask again, why now? Why has the Hive changed it's tune from supporting our war with information, to condeming it. I also point out that sine the war started years before the Council existed, it is not a conflict over which it has authority. PEACE did not offer us any favourable agreements when they helped a noose around our necks, strangling our trade and playing us off against other factions, why should we offer them agreements that hurt us now, when they have shown us no suich courtesy? And finally, I would ask the Hive to stop making accusations that are completely unfounded. There is no pain to former PEACE citizens.

And my reply to Voltaire:

Quote:
Honorable members of the Council I would like to remind the CPU representative that this Council has as its mandate the United Nations Charter from Old Earth.
Actually, that is incorrect. There are clearly defined atrocities which warrant council actions, such as use of Planet Busting weaponry, nervestapling and the uise of nerve gas. We have committed no such atrocities. There is no charter that the CPU has agreed to that forbids the use of aggression, especially as a last resort. Moreover, this war was started many years before this Council existed, and as such it has no place to intervene in this war. I would ask the Hiverian representative to show me the piece of legislature that we have broken, and the evidence for their accusation, or to withdraw it.

Quote:
the CPU are avoiding the issue, they do not deny they were the aggressor and nor do they deny that they violated PEACE sovereignty.
Depends what you consider aggression. We explained, before the war, the actions PEACE had taken that led to our decision to engage in war. We used military force first, that is true, but we felt aggrieved at the actions of PEACE.

There are many issues, and we are avoiding none of them. One of those issues is why the Hive supported our war, and has not changed their minds now.

Quote:
This Council should not stand for such sophistry; you are the aggressors and the occupying forces. The fact that you have built infrastructure does not legitimize you in the eyes of the PEACE populace, you invaded their land, took the lives of their soldiers, and caused destruction to their homes.
You are avoiding the point raised here. The point Comrade Octavian X made was that of the likelihood of a humanitarian disaster. As I said before, that likelihood is less than the it was under PEACE rule, due to the extra facilities we are building. If you make a point, we will address it. To then states a different point entirely in answer to ours seems illogical. We never argued our building of facilities legitimized anything, we argued that it reduced the chance of a humanitarian disaster, which it does. Please do not try to twist our words to try to address a point they were not. (is this last sentance too strong? It felt it needed to be pointed out, but it might antagonise?)

Quote:
The democracy of warmonger is no democracy at all.
I disagree. Democracy is rule by the people. Whether in times of war or peace, that does not change. The democracy of a Police State is no democracy, however.

Quote:
As Chairman of the Human Hive I am deeply offended by the attempts of CPU to distract you from the issue of this meeting, that of their act of aggression, by insulting the peace-loving people of the Human Hive.
As the special envoy of CPU I amk deeply offended that the Human Hive supports our war, then calls a meeting, without giving us time to send an envoy, stating that it must be stopped. I am deeply offended that the Human Hive flings accusations without providing any source or evidence, even when asked. I am deeply offended that the Human Hive tried to use a Council mandate, that does not even include condemning acts of war, that was written after the war was started, to try to argue against a war they helped start, all without a shred of evidence for such atrocities they claim we have committed, or even showing us any international law that we have broken. The whole proposition seems ludicrous.

Quote:
Our government provides everything for its people; we are a People’s Democratic Dictatorship under the direct control of the People of the Human Hive following the principles of Democratic Centralism. You call us tyrants because we refuse to let those who would harm the people do so, if this is tyranny and what you exemplify democracy I for one cannot say I want your democracy. But this aside, we are willing to look away from the insult and work together for a constructive solution to the problem.
We do not and have never called you tyrants. We have not insulted the Human Hive at all, and we object to you making up such accusations. I merely pointed out that if you wish to write into a Council mandate that war is unacceptable, then why should we not do the same with a denial of self governance? A faction that denies it's people their right to self governance has no place telling another faction that a different group of people have a right to self governance. Furthermore, you claim that our attempts to legitimize our actions (which we were not doing in that instance) with our building of facilities is incorrect, yet you legitimize your authoritarian rule with the same argument, that your government provides what the people need.

Quote:
Innocent civilians always suffer during war and under occupation.
Source? Evidence?

Quote:
The point of the matter is that war should not have begun at all, members of the Council, they do not even deny their guilt, but affirm it with such words. They threaten this Council if it attempts to do its moral duty in freeing the People of PEACE against the invaders.
The Council has no such duty legally, and you will pardon me if I do not believe that the Hive dictates their own morals to the Council. The Council is there to keep international law, which has not been broken. Please provide the piece of legislature that we have broken, and the evidence that we have broken it, so that we might show you that it is untrue.

However I do feel the ned to clarify a point earlier. When we said
Quote:
War will not spread to other factions, presume those other factions do not interfere.
We meant interfere by aiding PEACE in their war effort. If another faction joins PEACE against us, we will defend ourselves, but we will not start an unprovoked war.

Quote:
The People of the Hive have changed their position on this war from that time, the government acted then in the interests of the People to keep relations friendly; our neutrality was not a sign of approval of your actions.
No, but comments by high ranking Hiverian officials on such things as "we understand why you did it" (paraphrased), and the aiding of our war with military information on PEACE, are signs of approval.

Quote:
The Hive will not get involved in the conflict, we want peace to resume. You again admit that you were aggressors. The ending of the Pact was on ground of your expansionist policies
Not at all. The ending of the Pact was due to the insults and accusations of PEACE, as well as their attempts to use underhand tactics to gain more from our trading deals, as explained before.

Quote:
too often throughout history good people have let evil get too far, are we to stand idly by while aggressors destroy human lives? We have learned our lesson well from World War II, never again will it occur.
In World War II there was a mandate for defence. The agreements the British and French had that brought them into the war were legal documents. The Hive has no such agreement with PEACE, and neither does the Council. We have offered PEACE terms that will end the destruction of human life. We do not wish it at all, we wish to preserve it as much as possible. However they have not only refused that, they have refused to negotiate at all. We will happily enter negotiations with PEACE, but our advances as such have been refused.

Quote:
If war is not aggressive, members of the Council, I do not know what is. However you were treated DOES NOT justify war.
That is an opinion. Without an international body to bring our concerns to, such as this Council, in place at the time, we had no other options. They had treated us unfairly, in our opinion. We had been wronged. Without a body of international law, we had to take it into our own hands.

Quote:
They accuse us of dishonesty members of the Council, we speak here of facts, and only facts of their aggression.
No, you speak of facts of our atrocities, and of violations of international law. Yet you provide no evidence, no source, and no piece of legislature that we have broken. We have also not accused you of dishonesty. We have accused you of having an ulterior motive for this action, and of playing politics with the lives of former PEACE citizens.

Quote:
To claim that we are disinterested is absurd, all of us are looking out for ourselves, but we cannot look out for ourselves at the exclusion of our neighbors.
You did it quite well for years before, why change now? You have no legitimate legal reason to be involved at all.

Quote:
Again you do not deny your guilt. Members of the Council the crisis here is that citizens of PEACE are being occupied by hostile forces, the CyCon have initiated a war that has cost many lives, they have occupied a people who did not seek their help and continue to occupy a people who do not want them there.
I would disagree that there is a crisis. As my post sais, there is no humanitarian disaster, and the people are not being constrained, prejudiced against, or in any way discriminated against. They are CPU citizens.

Again, you claim that we occupy a people that did not seek our help, yet you do the same. Your people have not asked to be ruled, they are ruled by a Police State. Former PEACE citizens have self governance. They vote for our leaders, as we live in a democracy. They have more say in their own lives, in how their bases are run, than Hive citizens do. So to claim that we forcing our rule open them is a lot less true than it is for any Hive base.

Quote:
You affirm the right of Hive citizens to self rule and not those of PEACE? You affirm the sovereignty of the Hive and not that of PEACE?
Former PEACE citizens have self rule. They have a democracy, and they vote for their leaders. That is self rule. And we affirm the sovereignty of all factions. However former PEACE bases are now CPU bases, and come under our sovereignty. We also have sovereign rule over our forces, and therefore believe that it is not up to the Council whether these forces are used.

Quote:
Members of the Council such an agreement is not one of peace, it is an ultimatum: “Join us freely now or we will make you join us.” PEACE does not want to be part of the CyCon, that is why the CyCon have resorted to violence. The Hive government cannot accept any such agreement as legal for it would have been reached under coercive means. If the CyCon truly want peace then let them end hostilities immediately and enter into negotiations supervise by this Council.
PEACE government does not wish to be part of CPU. PEACE citizens have not spoken. We wished, and still wish, to start negotiations with PEACE. They have refused to negotiate with us.

Quote:
This Council should be well informed that the CyCon keep tight controls on information coming out of PEACE bases
That is both unsubstanciated, unsupported, and untrue. Please provide evidence for such wild allegations.

Quote:
War is the last refuge of the incompetent and the first refuge of the scoundrel.
War is the last refuge for everyone. When all else has failed, it is what you are left with. We did not want war, but the relationship broke down, for reasons we have said before, and it was the only logical option left to us. Why have pity for a faction that has repeatedly tried to do us over, to gain at our expense? If they had shown us an ounce of compassion, we would not have acted as we did.

When PEACE refuse to negotiate, what option do we have but to continue to press our war?

Quote:
To claim you had no choice but to go to war is a lie. You have invaded a sovereign state and you have initiated an act of aggression, both of which as in violation of the UN Charter.
Neither of which have broken any agreement we have signed. Neither of which are against international law. Neither of which are classed as atrocities, acts of terrorism, or violations of international law, as you have tried to claim. Please stated the evidence and the legislature, for these accusations, or withdraw them.

Quote:
International law has been broken members of the Council, but it appears as though the CyCon delegate just conveniently happened to be ignorant of international law.
International law has not been broken. Wild and unsubstanciated allegations have been thrown at CPU, without evidence, legislature or even a source to back it up. It seems that the Hive is trying to write international law as it sees fit, without providing any legislature for such an action. The UN Charter is not the mandate for the Council. Certain factions that have long since disbanded tried to make it as such. However atrocities are well defined, and are illegal, under international law, but are all that is illegal. The UN Charter is not a legal document on Chiron. There is not even the option to vote for it to be as such in the Council.

Moreover, any such Charter, were it ratified, would only relate to actions taken after it's signing. This war started before there was a Planetary Council, and so actions before then would not be bound by the same rules. However they is, and has never, been a UN Charter that has been ratified on Chiron as international law. International law forbids atrocities only. The bottom line is that there is no law against war, and against aggression. The Hive has made many unsubstanciated allegations to terrorism, atrocities and violations of international law. We have not committed any of these. We admit to going to war, with the Hive's aid at the time, and for reasons that have been presented to the Hive government. Even without those, what we did was not illegal. War is not banned by international law.

We ask the Hive to look at the history of cooperation we have had until just recently, and to help rekindle that. We are puzzled and hurt by their apparent turn against us, and ask that they try to work with us rather than throw accusations and make demands themselves. We should urge the Hive leadership not to buy in to unsubstantiated claims.

mart: Please delete your post, and read this thread before posting. We do not wish to alarm them in such a way, and that thread needs to be void of emotional posts.

Last edited by Drogue; March 1, 2004 at 12:07.
Old March 1, 2004, 11:40   #23
Drogue
staff

MWIA: Some nice points, however trying to make it like the US attacking Iraq isn't a good idea IMHO. Too easy to argue against. Many people (Including me) feel that the world isn't safer for it. Also, trying to classify PEACE as a rogue state is a little hard, IMHO. Having said that, your point about us attacking anyone else did nead clarifiction, and I am updating due to that. Instead of claiming we are not guilty of anything except removing a rouge states offensive capabilities, I'd like to say we're not guilty at all. There is no law against war, it would be silly in a TBS game. There also isn't even an option for vote for there to be in the Council. All international law forbids are atrocities, and we haven't committed any. Legally, we're home and dry. Morally, the Hive is in no place to ask. If they want it, we can sue them for libel and claim that a Police State is also morally reprehensible.

Quote:
We ask the Hive to look at the history of cooperation we have had until just recently, and to help rekindle that. We are puzzled and hurt by their apparent turn against us, and ask that they try to work with us rather than throw accusations and make demands themselves. We should urge the Hive leadership not to buy in to the unsubstantiated claims of some and ask them why they are jeopardising peace further in this way.
Nice Has been included

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing - we should ask them why they have waited so long before deciding to have a problem with the elimination of PEACE's offensive capabilities - there was not a word against it until now, and we have to question their timing. (Of course they are just worried we are getting too powerful with the union with PUT )
Big point. I've tried to make a lot of that But not mentioning the unification until HongHu's post, becuase I don't want to counter accuse until I have provocation to do so.

Last edited by Drogue; March 1, 2004 at 12:09.
Old March 1, 2004, 11:47   #24
Drogue
staff

An answer to HongHu:

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
The Hive is a peace loving faction. At the time of the CC PEACE war we didn't want to get involved because we believed it was a matter between the two nations and we had hoped they would be able to get the issue resolved between themselves without any outside interference.
It still will be, in the same we we predicted before, when we are victorious. This was explained to yourself before the war started.

Quote:
However, the situation has changed much since then. The CPU has become a powerful presence in the planet.
And there we get the reason for this action. The Hive feel threatened because two faction shave joined together. This has nothing to do with PEACE, but to do with disagreement over the unification.

Quote:
Thusfar its presence has not appeared to contribute to peace and development of the planet.
There has been no more war since that. If the Hive hadn't reduced the pact with the CyCon, relations would actually be better, in terms of strength of treaties overall.

Quote:
Rather, the Hive has been forced to come to the realization that a faction might be facing total elimination from the planet. It is not an internal matter between the two factions any more.
Two points. One, at the begining I explained that they may well be facing total elimination. Indeed, the thread Googlie started about what happens if they're eliminated was started because of the possibility. I do not see why it is obvious now but not then, when we were debating it.

Two, it is still an internal matter between our two factions. Nothing has changed on that front. The fact they are facign elimination was there from the start, and does not involve another faction in any way.

Quote:
It has become more and more an issue of regional security and stability. Every faction in the planet knows that if one faction can be eliminated one day, then itself may be the one that gets eliminated on another day. The Hive believes that such aggressiveness and threat toward humanity must be stopped using all means possible.
We have explained our reasons for war, and why it is a case solely relating to the CyCon and PEACE. As we said, as long as no-one insults us in that way, taking in game matters into the real life arena, and continually plays us to their own gain, and our loss, we will not wish war again. We were not unprovoked.

Old March 1, 2004, 12:01   #25
Drogue
staff

An answer to foolish_icarus:

Quote:
Originally posted by foolish_icarus
Arrrrr, worm ****, every single word. By neptune, you borgs do put a lot of effort into yer lying.
Please state where we lied, and what the truth is? Also, of you wish to accuse us of lying, please show evidence of your accusation.

I think that's it. Can I post these? A little overkill maybe, but hey, we are in the right, and if they want to agrue, they'd better damn well be prepared to substanciate it

Old March 1, 2004, 12:34   #26
Drogue
staff

I have to go out now. I should be back online in about 2 hours. Please post any changes you'd want, etc, and I can post it later. A reply soon is needed, IMHO, to stop unauthorised comments.

I know it's long, but it's needed IMHO. Is it ok to post? Does anything need changing? Should we just sod it all, use the element of surprise, and attack the Hive?

Old March 1, 2004, 13:02   #27
laurentius
King

yeah its a bit long but it doenst matter since this is a such grave matter. And they'd better bloody read it even if it would be 10 pages long since theyr the ones who came up with all this nonsence.

Excellent responces Drogue and Mwia, I hope some day my english is even nearly as good as yours and I will be able to articulate in such an impressive way.

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; March 1, 2004 at 13:09.
Old March 1, 2004, 14:34   #28
DeathByTheSword
King

may I state that the cycon government does not exist anymore. former cycon and Uni territory is now being govern by an internationally respected government known as CPU.

further May i state that because we do not live in a police state and no base is under martial law any citizen in CPU territory may go where it wants. we in fact have an open line between all CPU bases and current PEACE bases. only military forces are not allowed in current CPU territory

i have a small reply stated may i please post it?
Old March 1, 2004, 14:49   #29
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Oooh.....Fights!
Old March 1, 2004, 15:10   #30
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
i have a small reply stated may i please post it?
That looks good if you want to post it. If it's something else, please post here first, and when someone agrees, post it