Old March 1, 2004, 00:03   #31
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
And the embargo should stay until Castro stops executing the opposition.
Thought so. Chicken.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:05   #32
Pax
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:35
France had a democratic free market economy when they invaded Vietnam and made it a law for the consumption and tax on opium and other harmful products.
Britain was a democratic free market country during the Opium Wars.

I would have to say that a communist government that does not force its people to use opium is better than a free one that does.
What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation
Old March 1, 2004, 00:10   #33
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Africanus
Britain was a democratic free market country during the Opium Wars.
No dispute on France. But Britain was a monarchy.. the 19th century opium wars with China correct?

Quote:
I would have to say that a communist government that does not force its people to use opium is better than a free one that does.
I am not proposing to have one that does. Stop pulling words out thin air and trying to degrade my opinion on the issue.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:12   #34
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Why would we possibly think that the dictatorial regime you suggest would work better than any of the others Haiti has tried?
All of the other dictatorial regimes have not had the same type of goal I mentioned. Most have had some faction with an agenda that does help everyone only the faction members. Once again think Boss Tweed. All have had to start out corrupt by pretending to have fair elections. The first sin is the lie. After that the rest is easy.
Let's not pretend to be having fair elections. Let's set up a government that is going to benefit the people by rebuilding. After the country it's get to a certain level of prosperity then we take off the training wheels. SLOWLY.
What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation
Old March 1, 2004, 00:16   #35
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:
I think a more federal system, with a weaker central government that responds to the budget and security is needed.
Finally you make a real suggestion instead of trying cut down mine. Okay we have a weak central government similar to the type the U.S. had right after the Revolution. This had the states printing there own money, refusing to give financial support to the central government and armed conflict with eachother. This almost like the situation Haiti already has.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:18   #36
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
But Britain was a monarchy.. the 19th century opium wars with China correct?
Um, Britain's monarchy in the 19th century didn't have the power, the Parliament did. It had been a constitutional monarchy for some time...
Old March 1, 2004, 00:18   #37
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

Finally you make a real suggestion instead of trying cut down mine. Okay we have a weak central government similar to the type the U.S. had right after the Revolution. This had the states printing there own money, refusing to give financial support to the central government and armed conflict with eachother. This almost like the situation Haiti already has.
Again wrong. That is not the type of government I propose. You are twisting my words and pulling things out of nowhere I never said. I am talking about a federalist system, set up in the way like the US. So states have a reasonable but not overwhelming amount of power. I am not talking about the Articles of Confederation, and I never suggested a Confederation type of government.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:23   #38
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:
Stop pulling words out thin air and trying to degrade my opinion on the issue.
I'm just stating that Vietnam and China are better off now than before. If only for the fact that these countries now have control over their own destinies. I'm willing to bet that neither France nor Britain would be able to push these countries around like they did before these countries were communist.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:25   #39
Pax
Chieftain

I also maintain that Cuba is in the same boat as Vietnam and China. Maybe democracy is the ultimate way to go but if I was in Haiti I would be tired of democracy and be looking for some repression under communism.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:29   #40
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

I'm just stating that Vietnam and China are better off now than before. If only for the fact that these countries now have control over their own destinies. I'm willing to bet that neither France nor Britain would be able to push these countries around like they did before these countries were communist.
The only reason Vietnam and China are better off now than they were before is because of FDI (foreign direct investment) and capitalism. These countries are not really communist but moreso capitalist than anything.

Quote:
I also maintain that Cuba is in the same boat as Vietnam and China.
Not at all. FDI is lacking in Cuba.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:31   #41
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:

Again wrong. That is not the type of government I propose. You are twisting my words and pulling things out of nowhere I never said. I am talking about a federalist system, set up in the way like the US. So states have a reasonable but not overwhelming amount of power. I am not talking about the Articles of Confederation, and I never suggested a Confederation type of government.
I'm sorry. Is federalism a strong or weak form of central power? I thought you said a weak central government.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:33   #42
Pax
Chieftain

Point blank.
Which system is working better Haiti's or Cuba's?
Old March 1, 2004, 00:33   #43
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

I'm sorry. Is federalism a strong or weak form of central power? I thought you said a weak central government.
Well I am not talking about a confederated form of government. That won't work. That is a very weak central government. I am talking about one that has more power but less than the system you propose but where states have power too. Something like the US system.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:34   #44
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
All of the other dictatorial regimes have not had the same type of goal I mentioned.
You still didn't answer my question. So far your only answer seems to be a slightly stupid chant that because dictator has fuzzy feelings about people and stuff he maight not be all bad.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:37   #45
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:

Well I am not talking about a confederated form of government. That won't work. That is a very weak central government. I am talking about one that has more power but less than the system you propose but where states have power too. Something like the US system.
Haiti is very small there really is no need for the system you're talking about. It sounds like extra laws. Extra bureaucracy can lead to extra corruption. This country needs clear laws and a strong government to maintain the rule of law.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:42   #46
Giancarlo
King

I'm NOT talking about extra bureaucracy (sheesh there you go again pulling words out of thin air I never said). I want a smaller central government than you want, and if anything, your system will come with extra corruption.

And never have I said there shouldn't be clear laws or a government that would maintain security and a pass a proper budget. What is not needed is heavy or moderate government interference with the economy as you propose.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:01   #47
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You still didn't answer my question. So far your only answer seems to be a slightly stupid chant that because dictator has fuzzy feelings about people and stuff he maight not be all bad.
I may not be able to answer your question without sounding stupid. I'm just not as smart as you. My point is that strong central governments historically have been successful in enforcing peace. That's the first step in getting business into the country. Knowing that your investments won't be looted. Stron central governments in several countries such as Cuba, Vietnam, and China have been successful becoming independent of outside military powers and to and extent making them economic and or military powers of scale. Agreed that these countries are guilty of human rights violations but so was the U.S. during its period of industrialization. The system in Haiti works that even if you are fairly elected you can be uprooted by the military or enough armed men. This is no good. The government needs to be strong enough that it cannot be destroyed by force of arms. Having a dictator or strong central government that the people know is looking out for them will do a lot for stability. Cuba and China both came to power fighting against supposed Democracies that did not have the support of the people. If these two countries would have remained the way they were they would have continued to be weak. I hope this is not too stupid
Old March 1, 2004, 01:28   #48
DaShi
Emperor

There's a Haitian music store in Hangzhou.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:01   #49
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
Haiti's only option now is to follow every UN/US recomendation and wait for the loans and grants to flow in. Combine this with a responsible and non-corrupt Haitian government with some kind of a sustainable plan for recovery and development and Haiti should be on the road to recovery.
Hm, right, really.

Point me to an example that a third country does well after getting all the IMF/WB loans with strings.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:04   #50
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
You won't believe this, but even a corrupt "democracy" and/or a dictatorship is usually in long term better than communism.
In the long term, we all die.

In fact, in the long term, nothing would matter.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:13   #51
The Mad Monk
Emperor

What about the Dominican Republic? How have they been doing?

If they are significantly better off than Haiti, what are they doing right, that the Haitians are doing wrong?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:20   #52
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Dominican Republic

Haiti

Wow. The contrasts are, in fact, staggering.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 1, 2004, 02:40   #53
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Then why even post?
Old March 1, 2004, 02:56   #54
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It takes a country a short time to recover from a hunta when the conditions are right. It takes a country much longer time to recover from communism. And it's harder.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:23   #55
Pax
Chieftain

I once again point out that some countries can and have actually benefitted from communism/socialism. I believe Cuba, Vietnam, and China at least. Other countries that were satellites of the Soviet Union probably did not benefit at all. Also, countries that were involved in the cold war that had to spend enormous amounts of there resources, time, and effort did not benefit from communism/socialism. This has more to do with the leaders of to ideologies setting themselves up to compete for power than rebuilding a country. The idea behind communism and socialism is not inherently evil. But they do grow out of a need for change.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:44   #56
Giancarlo
King

And I'll point out you are completely wrong. Vietnam and China are not really communist or even socialist, they have capitalist economic systems. China is definitely capitalist. Most of the growth is associated to the opening up of China, the opening up of the market.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:52   #57
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:35
Pax, Cuba? Its economy is 1/10 of what it used to be and you say that communism has benefited Cuba?

Communism began to benefit China only when it turned away from socialism.

Communism hardly benefited Vietnam. And I wonder if you support the current genocide under way in Vietnam against the Montagnard people.

PAX, you obviously do not care about facts, assuming that you knew the above and still supported Communism.
Old March 1, 2004, 03:53   #58
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Nuts.

There's a much more successful nation literally right next door to Haiti. Copy them.
Old March 1, 2004, 04:17   #59
Giancarlo
King

The Dominican Republic had some of the fastest economic growth rates.

Well it is hard discussing it with Pax since he doesn't have a clue what economic system really runs China. It is very capitalist.

The problem with Haiti is mainly the result of the years of misrule by the Papa Doc and Baby Doc regimes (Duvalier family). And further mismanagement under Aristide. Communism or socialism won't fix this and will only mess things up further.
Old March 1, 2004, 04:23   #60
Pax
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Pax, Cuba? Its economy is 1/10 of what it used to be and you say that communism has benefited Cuba?

Communism began to benefit China only when it turned away from socialism.

Communism hardly benefited Vietnam. And I wonder if you support the current genocide under way in Vietnam against the Montagnard people.

PAX, you obviously do not care about facts, assuming that you knew the above and still supported Communism.
No I don't know everything. I do know that if a country adopts a form of government that does not mean that this is why they committed some evil. We are communist so we must commit genocide. NO.
When you say Cuba is 1/10 of what it was what does that really mean. NOTHING. Why, because it does not really speak to wheter or not the average citizen is better off under Castro or Batista. I personally think Castro.
Once again are the Chinese better off now or at the turn of the century. Are they still considered the weak men of asia. When did this change. Under Communism you say.

The fact is that Genocides, GDP/GNP's, aside these countries are much more powerful now than at the turn of the century or even in 1945, 1949, and 1959 for Cuba. These now have self determination like never before.