lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 14:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Congrats to LOTM for his Oscar win-

how was the afterparty?
Mixed, I really like Susan Sarandon an actress, but you can imagine what happened when our talk turned to politics
Old March 2, 2004, 18:04   #272
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I would have liked to have seen Cold Mountain get more recognition.

I'm glad that a great novel got the cinematic treatment it deserved. I only wish that the novel Dune had gotten such tender loving care.
I guess you could call me a fanboy (my nick, my having read the Silmarillion for G-d's sake)

But I think it was a travesty that LOTR got best song instead of Cold Mountain.

One of Cold Mountains best features was the music, its variety, the way it was woven into the story. I can see LOTR winning for best score, but the music in Cold Mountain should have gotten recognition.

And Cold Mountain deserved at least one technical award - the recreation of the battle of the crater in the opening scenes was masterful.

I saw at least one OScar comment that criticized Renee Zelweger for an "over the top" "acterly" performance in CM. Well, d'oh, and like Mystic River wasnt filled with such???
Old March 2, 2004, 18:05   #273
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
It couldn't have been based on merit, because they won them all...
Indeed... it's very suspicious. When there are so many nominees (whether movies, albums, etc) in many catagories and one of those nominees wins all of them, it makes me very suspicious indeed.

Quote:
It's a defacto method of him telling her how to direct. He knows whats funny and what works, since he's done thousands upon thousands of scenes. He just freeforms till they get something that they're happy with.
So you were there and knew how they did the movie?

You keep asking me for proof... any proof of this, other that what you hear the 'insiders' say?

Quote:
Subjective... but then you can seperate out at least a couple... the music elements, since we know that the sound track was the most compelling, as sofar as being the best selling soundtrack.
So the fact that it sold more means it is the most compelling? Does that mean Britney Spears is better music and 'more compelling' than Elvis Costello?

Quote:
Given the context of an 11 or 12 hour movie... simply put, no, I disagree.
Aren't you the biggest fanboy I've ever seen. Even the biggest LOTR fans have said the ending was waaaaaay too long. The Scouring would have been much better.

Quote:
20 percent or so less. Significant.
You ACTUALLY think that an 'A' to a 'B" is a significant jump? What is wrong with you?!

Quote:
Citizen Kane had masterful direction, and a powerful narrative (abeit in parts)... both elements lacking in Lost in Translation.
Great direction, wondering characterization, great slice of life story. The best of its kind.

Quote:
LiT is viewed in the press as an also ran... certainly not loved the same way that ROTK and the other films have been.
I did give you the Rotten Tomatoes comparision, since you find it significant.

Quote:
It boild down to the fact Imran like M&C and LIT better than Return of the King
Actually, I didn't. I found them all equally well done, just for different reasons. It all boils down to people (not you GePap) not liking their pet movie, ROTK, get spoken of badly and attributing 'jealous' and 'bitterness' to those who DARE speak out against it. Kind of like the 'you are with us or against us' of the Bush Administration.

Quote:
Yes and there is a great deal of evidence that Fellowship should have won when it was up for Best Picture. That's why ROTK's win stinks of "due"ness now.
Indeed, DD, indeed.

Quote:
"Gladiator" smacked of dueness as a nod to Dreamworks SKG and a mollified "we're sorry for the Shakespeare-in-Love fiasco, we still love you Stevie" award to Spielberg.
Don't forget Crowe's Best Actor award for "Gladiator" was probably dueness due to his great role in "The Insider".

Quote:
Would it be fair what is essentially one single project released in 3 installments to win 2 best movie Oscars? Wouldn't that be like having a miniseries on TV win multipe Emmy's for different episodes, the one on monday, the one on tuesday- instead of getting one.
Most miniseries aren't released one part in one year and the other part in another.

As to the initial question, YES, it would have been fair. If all three movies were of that quality, than all three should have won. I think FOTR should have won in 2001 (though I think ABM wasn't that bad of a choice), and I have no problems with ROTK winning now. As pointed out this smacks of 'due'ness. I'd much rather they simply judged the films every year because that is when they were released. It seems they may have done so for the first two, but not this one. The only reason FOTR didn't win is to reward Ron Howard.

I'm saying I don't like the system of 'due'ness at all. And it seemed obvious that is what was going on this year. Ming may continue to laugh, but it seems common sense when other movies are held up as very good, one movie sweeping everything it is nominated in is very sketchy.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 2, 2004, 18:40   #274
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:36
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Wernazuma, your avatar is absolutely grotesque. I love it.
It's Goya.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:06   #275
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 19:36
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Mixed, I really like Susan Sarandon an actress, but you can imagine what happened when our talk turned to politics
And what was that cheap political stunt from her hubby!?
Old March 2, 2004, 19:11   #276
Imran Siddiqui
staff

LOTM - No, I wouldn't consider you a fanboy. You would take an award away from LOTR... well, not totally a fanboy anyway .

What did Tim Robbins do? I don't remember.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 2, 2004, 19:14   #277
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Aren't you the biggest fanboy I've ever seen. Even the biggest LOTR fans have said the ending was waaaaaay too long. The Scouring would have been much better.
Egads no. Speaking as a decidedly un-fanboy fan of the films, I am eternally greatful to PJ that he did not film the Scouring.

Zounds, the book was bad enough; that would have been absolute torture on film.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:16   #278
Rogan Josh
Prince

Do you know if the Scouring will be in the Director's cut, or did they not shoot it at all?
Old March 2, 2004, 19:17   #279
Guynemer
Emperor

Didn't shoot it at all; kaloo-kalay, oh joyous day.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:17   #280
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They didn't film it at all!

I love the Scouring! It ties the book together. It says everything has sacrifices. Nothing is free.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:19   #281
Guynemer
Emperor

That's terrific. No need to take 30odd (or whatever) pages to say it, whilst turning the hobbits into action heroes.

The same thing was accomplished in the denoument of the film, thank you very much.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:20   #282
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Didn't shoot it at all; kaloo-kalay, oh joyous day.
Why are you so happy? You don't have to watch the Director's cut.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:24   #283
Guynemer
Emperor

I love the Director's Cuts. I'd hate to have to skip over a section of one.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:27   #284
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
I love the Director's Cuts. I'd hate to have to skip over a section of one.
huh? I thought you hated the movie and the book. Why would you get the DVD?
Old March 2, 2004, 19:28   #285
Guynemer
Emperor

Love the movies. Like the books.