Old March 1, 2004, 00:54   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AI loses initiative = Another Win for me
...and for 30 nerve racking turns, I saw a hint of human intelligence in the AI.

Emperor
Standard-Pangea 60% Water
Wet-Temperate
1.15 C3C

------------------
Here's what happened this big boy AI was relentless for the longest time in moving towards a Space Race victory. It systematically jumped around the tech board and research all the SS techs.

I went for computers to get to MI, it hit Ecology then into Synth Fibers. Then Hit Rocketry.

As I was frantically trying to research a tech he isn't researching for a trade, he follows rocetry up with Space Flight and then moved on to Lasers.

I got nuclear power and miniaturization. Do I hold it or do I trade it? The AI is so far ahead, if I held it, he'd research those while I'm backtracking and researching all the techs he has and wont trade to me. I decide to check if he he wanted to offer me anything for miniaturization, nuclear power and later on genetics (the 3 techs in the entire series I got to first) He would only make cash payments. No techs. No Spaceflight. Not even ecology.

With my techs, he followed that up by researching Robotics, Superconductor and Satellites. (He got Fusion very early too.)

I was also able to pull the Internet with a prebuild (yes, I cheat. I'm sorry).

And as this was going on, (and I don't even have Apollo going yet) He starts building SS parts in rapid succession, usually several per turn, jumping to a very quick 6 -nothing lead.

The Internet is paying off somewhat at this poitn as my research time has shrunk and I'm researching at 5 to 6 turns per tech, at 90% slider, subsidized in part by some of the techs I traded to the AI.

And he continued to build his lead. When he hit 9/10 and I was still at 4/10, I knew it was over even with prebuilds, it would be impossible to catch up, even if he had his last part in a less productive city. He had all the techs, I was down 3 techs, and the Space Race screen shows him building the last part.

Then the weirdest thing happened. The AI switched to Fasicm, in peace time. I suppose its for supporting its massive military. And this stalled its space program. I researched two techs and traded for Robotics with another AI and with pre-builds, finished the last 3 parts. Even if I didn't do prebuilds, I still probably could have won, as the SS parts took only 4 to 5 turns to build in my super productive core.

Wow. Amazing AI for 30 turns. A real hint of intellgence in the tech race scene but ended with a suicidal switch with Fasicm. I suppose I contributed to it by engaging in an active arms race by building up my much smaller m ilitary in anticipation of an attack. Very fun end game, even though there was no war. A real race.

Last edited by dexters; March 1, 2004 at 01:08.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:12   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:36
Nail biting time.
Old March 1, 2004, 04:22   #3
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Very disappointing. Not that I want you to lose....but you know what I mean
Old March 1, 2004, 04:26   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:36
lol. i know. im putting this here in hopes Soren or someone who is working on the patch reads it, understands what has caused this to happen and try to apply a fix. That was a game I should have lost.

Now that I mention it, I find the Fasicm switch strange. It seems like the AI really had their priorities in the wrong order. Also, it's rare to see the AI switch from demo to a non demo government in peace time.
Old March 1, 2004, 09:13   #5
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Wow. That is interesting. That game has a "cold war" feel. Nice summary.
Old March 1, 2004, 09:39   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
Fascism seems to have to strong an allure to the AI, and that needs to be fixed
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old March 1, 2004, 13:21   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Maybe using flavors to alter their taste.