Old March 1, 2004, 07:19   #1
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Maps for Mapmaking
Ok, I may be missing something here, but why are Maps not available to be traded when you get the tech MapMaking?

I find that navigation is so far away....

Am I the only one who feeld this way?
Old March 1, 2004, 07:43   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Balance issue. Map trading moved back to give more value to exploration.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 11:38   #3
Rogerdude
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:37
If I think about it, it would have been better if they had done it this way:
- Territory Map trading avialable with Map Making.
- World Map trading available with Exploration (or whatever is now).
Old March 1, 2004, 11:54   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:37
I liked the map trading being moved back. It allows the game's character to develop.

I also like the communications being moved back to Printing Press. Good changes, IMHO.
Old March 1, 2004, 13:26   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I like the change as well.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 13:36   #6
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Local Time: 19:37
Quote:
Territory Map trading avialable with Map Making.
If you traded for every territory map, then you would have an almost 100% complete knowledge of the map before world map trading became available.

Therefore the territory map has to be available no earlier than the world map.
I like the change aswell
Old March 1, 2004, 14:05   #7
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

While I agree that the theory behind it makes no sense in terms of realism, it's one of those changes that greatly improves game play and is therefore necessary.

I always thought it was a bit absurd that I knew what the entire world looked like by 30 BC.
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 14:13   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:37
good change
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 19:24   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I liked the change myself.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 20:00   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 19:37
I dislike this change, the word map and the word making seems to me to mean a civ has aquired the ability to make a map!

I understand the arguments about how it changes gameplay etc but I dont agree that if improves it.

The communications at printing press yes thats OK and does help to prolong the game, but with that there is no need to withhold map trading as you can only trade a map with a civ you know of!

this whole idea that it gives the AI a better chance if we cannot trade maps is nonsense, most people say the AI knows where everything is already. How often you see a settler head off to the middle of nowhere and plop a city down and find that they have grabbed your only chance of coal an era before its available.

I think its actually far easier to get ahead of the AI now as I explore like mad and seek out all my rivals, and in most games get a massive monopoly on trade and contact. I even go out of my way to prevent AI's from finding each other, to prolong this exploit!!!!

Yes its an exploit and its been handed to us on a plate, the AI cant cope with this and certainly doesnt know how to address it. On a continents map with a seafaring civ you can almost always get to know everyone in the world while your still in ancient times.

If you have a good rep and can afford the prices for techs, you can then whore them to everyone on the other continent. You can also keep one continent held back by not trading to them if you wish, thus making yourself easy pickings when you get superior units there to smack them with.

Game over !
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 21:45   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
I think its actually far easier to get ahead of the AI now as I explore like mad and seek out all my rivals, and in most games get a massive monopoly on trade and contact. I even go out of my way to prevent AI's from finding each other, to prolong this exploit!!!!

Yes its an exploit and its been handed to us on a plate, the AI cant cope with this and certainly doesnt know how to address it. On a continents map with a seafaring civ you can almost always get to know everyone in the world while your still in ancient times.

If you have a good rep and can afford the prices for techs, you can then whore them to everyone on the other continent. You can also keep one continent held back by not trading to them if you wish, thus making yourself easy pickings when you get superior units there to smack them with.

Game over !
I have used this "exploit" to my advantage in several recent games. I do believe that the seafaring civ and continents is the key to maximizing it.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote