chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
Why should animals have rights anyway?
Animals can't have rights. They are incapable of articulating a demand for a relationship and defending it. Only humans can have rights. This doesn't mean we have to be cruel or inhumane to animals. It's generally better for us if we treat animals with kindness.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 3, 2004, 14:25   #92
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
That's what they want you to believe, but it's not universally true.
A paranoid statement followed by a meaningless one.

There may of course be slaughterhouses around which are not humane, but that doesn't imply that the majority aren't humane, and does not imply that slaughterhouses are in principle inhumane.
Old March 3, 2004, 14:27   #93
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
It's generally better for us if we treat animals with kindness.
Why? What do we get out of it? I can understand why we would want to, out of (misplaced?) feelings of empathy, but I don't see why it would be 'better' for us.
Old March 3, 2004, 14:31   #94
chequita guevara
Emperor

Slaughterhouses these day process far too many animals to be humane. The stunning technique is haphazard. If an animal isn't completely out, it gets slaughtered anyway. As Spiffor noted, the animals are also well aware of what is coming, and many loose their bowels before getting stunned.

On top of that are the horrific factory farms. The issue of a painless death aside, most food animals live lives of pain and total confinement. Aside from being crue the the animals, it's also damned unhealthy for humans, as it makes it very easy for disease to spread through a heard or flock and be passed to the humans who eat them. This is why raw poulty has become toxic in the United States, while food poisoning rates have climbed steadily.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 3, 2004, 14:35   #95
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Why? What do we get out of it? I can understand why we would want to, out of (misplaced?) feelings of empathy, but I don't see why it would be 'better' for us.
See post about factory farms above. Also, when we are callous and abusive to animals, we tend not to do so well in treating humans as we should. Callousness and cruelty towards self-aware beings is easy to transfer. Finally there is the simple fact that treating animals with kindness helps relieve stress. There have been studies showing that prisoners who have pets become less violent.
Old March 3, 2004, 14:38   #96
Rogan Josh
Prince

Well, I don't know where you have been, but the slaughterhouses I have been in are not like that at all. It is in the interests of the meat producer to keep the animals from being scared (because otherwise they pump adrenalin around their bodies which makes the meat tough). Also, in the slaughterhouses I have been in, the electric shock through the brain kills the cattle instantly and painlessly (at least it appears that way). They are no more stressed than lambs are at shearing time (in fact a good deal less).
Old March 3, 2004, 15:37   #97
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Two of my cousins are pro-choice, vegetarian women... (32 and 28 respectively) the younger says (as I've posed the question before) that animal rights IS about suffering and not death. She is a vegetarian because of health reasons (especially now that a Republican de-regulation administration is in office ) and animal suffering. She says she is against abortion, but it should be her choice, not the government's.
Then she is an idiot anyways. If she's that paranoid, she shouldn't drive anywhere either.
Old March 3, 2004, 16:02   #98
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 18:40
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Then she is an idiot anyways. If she's that paranoid
Paranoid? Educated is the word you're looking for, I think.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 3, 2004, 17:08   #99
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I'm pro animal rights and anti-abortion for the same principle. I consider myself a very strong liberal, and libertarian. Go figure. The key word is libertarian .
Old March 3, 2004, 17:18   #100
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
The key word is libertarian .
Ah yes, as in "nutcase"
Old March 3, 2004, 17:21   #101
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Thats the one...
Old March 3, 2004, 17:30   #102
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Christians (left or right) believe in the intrinsic worth of people? Isn't the moral worth of people conferred by God? That sounds external, not intrinsic.
That's a good question.

And yes you are right that my position is an overgeneralisation. That's what makes it fun to discuss.

Human beings have value, because they are made in the image of God. Thus, both parts are true. God confers value upon us, while at the same time, the value is intrinsic to our being.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:59   #103
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Well, I don't know where you have been, but the slaughterhouses I have been in are not like that at all. It is in the interests of the meat producer to keep the animals from being scared (because otherwise they pump adrenalin around their bodies which makes the meat tough). Also, in the slaughterhouses I have been in, the electric shock through the brain kills the cattle instantly and painlessly (at least it appears that way). They are no more stressed than lambs are at shearing time (in fact a good deal less).

Thank you Rogan Josh. Another onewho actually witnessed things first hand rahter than relying on speculation and third hand perhaps biased sources.

The key is it is in the best interests of the factory farmers/slaughterhouses to have high yield, high quality product.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 3, 2004, 18:02   #104
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
The key is it is in the best interests of the factory farmers/slaughterhouses to have high yield, high quality product.
High volume is more important than high quality. All one has to do is look at the quality of our meat.

Anyway, I've seen film of slaughter, so while I may not have been inside one myself, I've seen it first hand.
Old March 3, 2004, 18:04   #105
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Thank you Rogan Josh. Another onewho actually witnessed things first hand rahter than relying on speculation and third hand perhaps biased sources.

I may be regarded as a little biased though, since my father owns one....
Old March 3, 2004, 23:48   #106
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

Anyway, I've seen film of slaughter, so while I may not have been inside one myself, I've seen it first hand.
Highlights of Ren and Stimpy don't count.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 00:03   #107
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
Re: Animal Rights and Abortion
Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
I wonder how often pro-choice vegitarians commit this obvious hypocrisy?
I'm pro-choice and a vegetarian, and I don't consider myself partaking in any hypocrisy. But that's because, like many vegetarians, I am so for health reasons, not animal rights ones. Broad strokes paint bad pictures.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:05   #108
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Paranoid? Educated is the word you're looking for, I think.
No, paranoid works. Your chances of getting a disease from meat is very slim. There are a LOT of more important things to worry about.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:11   #109
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Then she is an idiot anyways. If she's that paranoid, she shouldn't drive anywhere either.
Is being a vegetarian for health reasons tantamount to being an idiot, in your opinion? I'd love to hear...
Old March 4, 2004, 00:12   #110
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yep like Hepatitus(sp?) from bad peppers at Chiles (or was it Chi Chi's?).

Old March 4, 2004, 00:16   #111
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Is being a vegetarian for health reasons tantamount to being an idiot, in your opinion? I'd love to hear...
As much as buying a lotto ticket and thinking it's a good investment
Old March 4, 2004, 00:21   #112
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
As much as buying a lotto ticket and thinking it's a good investment
Nice try, but there are medically proven health advantages to vegetarian diets.

First and foremost, it's a great weight management regimen for people with obesity problems. Vegetarians have a demonstrably lower BMI index, and many overweight people who adopt such diets shed large amounts of fat. Vegetarians are less likely to have heart disease, gallstones, or other weight-related health problems like adult-onset diabetes and high blood pressure. Vegetarians are also less likely to have a stroke and certain types of cancer, such as colon cancer. Some studies indicate vegetarians also enjoy a longer life expectancy than the average.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:23   #113
Kuciwalker
Deity

Oh, I thought you were talking about diseases and stuff, not just a dietary thing.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:27   #114
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Well, I don't think those are primary concerns of the health-reasoned vegetarians. Still, one has to note that vegetarians will naturally not worry about things like e coli, trychinosis, samonella and other types of food poisoning associated with meats. Or mad cow disease!

Still, having read a good deal about the hormones they pump into cattle and chickens for mass consumption, I can't help but be happy I am not ingesting that stuff. Maybe it doesn't hurt, but maybe it does, and I certainly don't need it in my diet.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:37   #115
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

Animals can't have rights. They are incapable of articulating a demand for a relationship and defending it. Only humans can have rights.
Your either a speciesist or just privileging human language needlessly.

My cat is quite capable of defending her rights (even if not effectively). She expresses displeasure when she does not want to be picked up, brings her ball when she wants to play, wimpers when she wants food. Most animals are quite adept at expressing their desires and rights if you know how to read their behavior.

I fail to see the difference between a cat that fends off his/her attacker to assert his/her right to be let be and a person who uses language for the same functional affect.

Moreover, when you move into the ape family you find that chimpanzees are quite capable of developing a very rudimentary proficiency in human language. Presumably Koko can articulate some conception of her rights.
Old March 4, 2004, 01:28   #116
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
I'm pro animal rights and anti-abortion for the same principle. I consider myself a very strong liberal, and libertarian. Go figure. The key word is libertarian .

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old March 4, 2004, 01:45   #117
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 15:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Still, one has to note that vegetarians will naturally not worry about things like e coli, trychinosis, samonella and other types of food poisoning associated with meats. Or mad cow disease!
What about the possible diseases you can get from eating vegetables? Such as ones you can get from say unclean vegetables? That is always a possibility. Amoebas?

"Any of various one-celled aquatic or parasitic protozoans of the genus Amoeba or related genera, having no definite form and consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing one or more nuclei surrounded by a flexible outer membrane. It moves by means of pseudopods."

Quite a nasty thing to have.

I have heard that vegans can get sicker easier too.

All you have to do is cook meats properly. Many people have it medium rare. But no unsubstantiated claims will stop me from eating meat.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old March 4, 2004, 01:50   #118
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Another onewho actually witnessed things first hand rahter than relying on speculation and third hand perhaps biased sources.
Well, I've hunted before.

Geese are rather tasty when you pluck them, and gut them yourself.
Old March 4, 2004, 02:00   #119
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
"Any of various one-celled aquatic or parasitic protozoans of the genus Amoeba or related genera, having no definite form and consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing one or more nuclei surrounded by a flexible outer membrane. It moves by means of pseudopods."

Quite a nasty thing to have.
How is an ameoba a bad thing to have? I bet you got some in you right now!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 4, 2004, 08:10   #120
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:40
I thought about the same thing in fact. I was very suprised after I've talked with a very religious and pro-life girl, who said that she doesn't care about animals, and that they can "praise the Lord by their pain too".
I was pretty embarassed.
On the other hand, I'm hesitant when it comes to testing stuff on animals. WHat is the alternative?
Oh, we could test the atuff on humans directly. Like the ones who were sentenced to death penalty. On the other hand, it's not right as well.