Old March 4, 2004, 14:13   #91
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 12:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Exactly. 2/3rds of the states will never vote to take their own power away. Enough power has already been taken from the states.
The EC is inhrently anti-democratic, just like the provisions that State legislatures would elect state senators, not the state voters directly. That certainly was a state power that 2/3rd of the states agreed to remove from themselves.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 4, 2004, 14:16   #92
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 14:43
Quote:
The EC is inhrently anti-democratic, just like the provisions that State legislatures would elect state senators, not the state voters directly.
Bah, an amendment I'd like to see abolished .

Quote:
That certainly was a state power that 2/3rd of the states agreed to remove from themselves.
Not really. I mean, the states would STILL send two Senators. They just took it away from the State legislature and put it in the hands of the voters of the state. The states didn't lose any power from it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 4, 2004, 14:18   #93
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
The EC is inhrently anti-democratic, just like the provisions that State legislatures would elect state senators, not the state voters directly.
Bah, an amendment I'd like to see abolished .
You're kidding, right? Law student humor?

Please tell me you're kidding.

But you are right, no way on God's green earth that the EC ever gets abolished. Certainly not in my lifetime. It's a damn shame.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:23   #94
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
You're kidding, right? Law student humor?

Please tell me you're kidding.
NO, I'm not! For years, I've been against this amendment. Give the election of Senators back to the State Senates. It would encourage more paying attention to local politics, and make Senatorial candidates have to earn it by winning local election and convincing the other State Senators to send them up.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 4, 2004, 14:24   #95
Guynemer
Emperor

You are out of your bleeding mind.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:25   #96
Imran Siddiqui
staff

So are you .

The Senate isn't the place for popular sentiments. The House is.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:35   #97
Guynemer
Emperor

The Senate would end up completely lopsided; state senates would elect senators from the majority party. Naturally, this would greatly favor Republicans.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:38   #98
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 13:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Nah.

Bush in a landslide.

You heard it here first.
Oh hell no. I have been predicting a landslide for months. But, in this case Ben, in agreeing with me you are going to be on the money.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:38   #99
Imran Siddiqui
staff

If that is the representation of the State legislature, then the majority party should be able to elect the Senator. The State senate would be a relection on the state as a whole.

Or, rather... I wouldn't mind having a popular vote on Senators, but the only people able to run would be those currently serving in State Senate.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:46   #100
dainbramage20
Settler

Local Time: 18:43
Nader is gonna take this thing and make it 3 way. An entire nation needs this man to stand up to the real criminals out there. His showing in the polls is significant enough to send a message to democrats: Toughen up and stamp out corruption or you will not be elected.
Old March 4, 2004, 14:50   #101
Guynemer
Emperor

Quote:
Or, rather... I wouldn't mind having a popular vote on Senators, but the only people able to run would be those currently serving in State Senate.
That's a bit more tolerable, thank you.
Old March 4, 2004, 15:10   #102
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Anything to prevent what Corzine did in my home state.
Old March 4, 2004, 15:27   #103
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Anything to prevent what Corzine did in my home state.
Aside from spending an outrageous amount of money during the election, what did he do?
Old March 4, 2004, 16:09   #104
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Yes, she has been promoted by her master, the people of Florida.
Actually, the people of Florida have no love for her. She can't run in a statewide election anymore. The Repug leaders had to strong arm her out of running for Bob Grahm's vacanting seat for fear she'd cost W the election in November. She cherry-picked one of the most Republican districts to run for Congress.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 16:11   #105
chequita guevara
Emperor

Given the original scenario, I could see rioting across the U.S if Congress goes either way. This is one of the most polarized elections in years. If Shrub got in like this, I could see people trying to physically stop the motorcade and tar and feather him. Wouldn't that be glorious?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 16:16   #106
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramage20
Nader is gonna take this thing and make it 3 way. An entire nation needs this man to stand up to the real criminals out there. His showing in the polls is significant enough to send a message to democrats: Toughen up and stamp out corruption or you will not be elected.
I saw Nader live for the first time yesterday. He says these things that seemingly make sense... re: corporate reform, protectionism, social security and so on... but just watching him you get the sense that he's a mad scientist, and is thus utterly unelectable. I wonder if no-one has mentioned this to him before.

Its a shame "looks" matter so much, but electing a president is clearly a popularity contest, and peoples perception is only skin deep.
Old March 4, 2004, 16:22   #107
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Given the original scenario, I could see rioting across the U.S if Congress goes either way. This is one of the most polarized elections in years. If Shrub got in like this, I could see people trying to physically stop the motorcade and tar and feather him. Wouldn't that be glorious?
Oh, why don't you get some sense. Che, you are the lunatic left wing fringe in this country. Why don't you wake, take stock, and see that all of these notions you get so worked up about don't mean doddlely squat to 90% of the American public. Riots, what nonsense.
Old March 4, 2004, 16:25   #108
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

Oh, why don't you get some sense. Che, you are the lunatic left wing fringe in this country. Why don't you wake, take stock, and see that all of these notions you get so worked up about don't mean doddlely squat to 90% of the American public. Riots, what nonsense.
Well... the outcome definitely does mean something to more than 10% of the American public... riots? maybe not. It makes people less likely to waste votes, I think... and you might see less 3rd party support this time around... regardless of their platform.
Old March 4, 2004, 16:40   #109
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

You know for a straight guy, you make a good drama queen sometimes.

Stop exaggerating what "could" happen.
Old March 4, 2004, 16:45   #110
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I would say that anyone that thinks glorious the notion of the President of the United States being assaulted in the streets is a commie rat bastard, but these facts are already in evidence.

Instead I will say hoorah to the first Secret Service agent who plugs any would be anarchists.

I am warning you Che, one more comment like that and I am reporting you to the Department of Homeland Security.

Old March 4, 2004, 16:46   #111
MrFun
Emperor

Nah -- just call SlowwHand and his band of bounty hunters to ship Chegitz off to Cuba.
Old March 4, 2004, 16:59   #112
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Aside from spending an outrageous amount of money during the election, what did he do?
Aside from? I mean this guy had NO political experience. Decided he wanted to buy a Senate seat and outspent his primary opponent and general election opponent by huge gobs of money. He outspent his general election opponent 17 to 1 (and only won 51%).

I'd like to prevent people like that from becoming Senators.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:16   #113
chequita guevara
Emperor

jt, you really don't understand how much Democrats utterly hate Bush, do you? If they felt robbed again, they could blow a gasket.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:18   #114
MrFun
Emperor

We're angry with Bush, no doubt. But don't expect any widespread rioting.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:19   #115
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
jt, you really don't understand how much Democrats utterly hate Bush, do you? If they felt robbed again, they could blow a gasket.
That'd be amusing.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:20   #116
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, I can see McAuliffe's head blow up .
Old March 4, 2004, 17:21   #117
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 4, 2004, 17:23   #118
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
We're angry with Bush, no doubt. But don't expect any widespread rioting.
Yes, but you have no backbone. You'd stand around going, "No, that's just not right." Meanwhile, gun shots and tire fires and barricades are in the streets.

Seriously, I think you under-estimate how angry people are.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:35   #119
MrFun
Emperor

Commies are stupid -- throw rocks at them.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:36   #120
chequita guevara
Emperor

Better not, we know how to catch them and throw them back.