Old March 16, 2004, 17:42   #241
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 14:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
btw, re: adding 1/2 weapons and armor to attack/defense, what do you do for odd numbers? Round up, or consider as .5? Is power halved before subtracting armor, or afterwards?

Been curious for awhile now.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 16, 2004, 18:01   #242
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Depends on styles. Not really, IMHO. I've seen a couple of stats that with their orders, the only counters are things that are open to just about anything else, and so really dangerous to actually use.
I don't get it. You just (correctly) answered another post to say the stats only affect style. I don't think there are any overpowered stats, and don't see how there can be.

There are counters to every strategy for every stat. The key is in designing orders that give you a chance of countering several possible strats, but ultimately it's just a game of outguessing your opponent with a touch of fortune in where the blows fall. Hat off to Jamski and SC, it's a very fun game, my favourite actually.
Old March 16, 2004, 18:02   #243
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 18:44
Half hits will be rounded down if they happen, and armour is subtracted before, it is simply the power it would have hit with, divided by 2, rounding down if it is a decimal.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 16, 2004, 18:15   #244
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
I don't get it. You just (correctly) answered another post to say the stats only affect style. I don't think there are any overpowered stats, and don't see how there can be.
It does only affect style. However, when using certain weapons stats, and having certain orders, there are only a couple of possibly counters, which happen to be open to many other attacks. I can't really explain better without giving examples, which I cannot do until the end of the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
There are counters to every strategy for every stat. The key is in designing orders that give you a chance of countering several possible strats
That is true, but there are some stats that are only counterable in ways that are open to other attacks. In other words, set of stats/orders A is only counterable by B. However B is counterable by almost any set of stats/orders other than A. So having stats/orders B is very dangerous, as you can be easily hit, however it is the only way to counter set of stats/orders A.

Old March 16, 2004, 18:24   #245
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Half hits will be rounded down if they happen, and armour is subtracted before, it is simply the power it would have hit with, divided by 2, rounding down if it is a decimal.
Actually I meant the initial attack. FE, would I add 4 to attack and 7 to defense, or 3/6 or 3.5/6.5?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 16, 2004, 18:44   #246
Drogue
staff

What do you mean?

If someone has armour 10, and you attack with a power of 10 (plus your weapon of 7) then you will do 7 damage with a full hit, and 3 with a half hit.

Old March 16, 2004, 18:56   #247
Theben
Deity

Quote:
5. Each player has 20 points to distribute to weapons and armour... Half of these points are added to each of the 3 A/Ds.
so if i sent in 10-10-10

would it be 14-17-10
or 13-16-10
or 13.5-16.5-10 ?
Old March 16, 2004, 19:12   #248
Drogue
staff

If you gave me 10 10 10 orders for one hit, it would go down as 13.5 16.5 17 modified by weapons and armour, with another 13 taken off your opponents power, should he hit.

Old March 16, 2004, 19:30   #249
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
That is true, but there are some stats that are only counterable in ways that are open to other attacks. In other words, set of stats/orders A is only counterable by B. However B is counterable by almost any set of stats/orders other than A. So having stats/orders B is very dangerous, as you can be easily hit, however it is the only way to counter set of stats/orders A.
Well all counters are open to counter-counters. That's how RPS works. There is no golden order that only has a weak counter. There is always the option of outpowering, or blocking and striking, or imitating your opponent (which perhaps means doing the version applicable to your stats).
Old March 16, 2004, 20:28   #250
Drogue
staff

Doc: There is a golden set of stats and orders that only has a weak counter. Either that or itself.

Old March 16, 2004, 20:37   #251
DrSpike
Deity

Well maybe we can fight it out later when we can use specific examples.
Old March 16, 2004, 20:49   #252
Theben
Deity

I see noone has sent in anything yet. Waiting for their opponents?

Let me be the 1st to say: sent, after much careful consideration.
Old March 16, 2004, 20:56   #253
Drogue
staff

Received. Now bedtime

Old March 17, 2004, 04:02   #254
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Hmmm.... need to consider these orders for a moment...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 17, 2004, 10:26   #255
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 13:44
sended
Old March 17, 2004, 12:26   #256
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Sentificated.

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 15:38   #257
Drogue
staff

Oh the irony... Only one match has been fought so far: the most important one. The won that will likely decide the 4th place (presuming the others remain pretty much equal). Spaced vs. Theben.

Have orders from:
Jamski
Theben
Spaced

Awaiting orders from:
Doc
Skanky
Mad Captain
Frozzy
Rasputin
Mart

Old March 17, 2004, 15:45   #258
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

....and Spaced laid down his sword to be struck down by Thisbin so that a real gladiator would pass into the finals.....NOT!

Actually very close match, Thasbone!

Come on people!
Old March 17, 2004, 16:41   #259
Drogue
staff

It is a very close match. I haven't put the order in, or looked at them in comparison yet, since I don't want to know the result yet. I'll wait until I have all of Thebens and all of Jamski's matches in before I calculate them, so i can see who (likely) goes through.

Old March 17, 2004, 17:23   #260
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
....and Spaced laid down his sword to be struck down by Thisbin so that a real gladiator would pass into the finals.....NOT!

Actually very close match, Thasbone!

Come on people!
Looking back, with the exception of the Doc (and possibly Raz), ALL of my matches have been decided by 3 pts. or less.

So we'll just wait and see whose the better warrior, eh?

(the tension is killing me... )
Old March 17, 2004, 17:34   #261
Drogue
staff

'Tis true, they have all been close. Now Ras, Doc and Mart are online, and no orders. Come on guys, I want to see the semi-finals

Old March 17, 2004, 17:35   #262
Jamski
Deity

Drogue, how about having quarter finals? 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th???

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 17:40   #263
Drogue
staff

We could, but it would take *ages*. I mean, it's quite confusing have more than one on at once, when it comes to stories and orders, etc. for the knockout, and even so, it would take ages to finish. However I could go for it, if you wanted.

A quick poll... when posting your sent, please say whether you'd like there to be quarter finals. I'll go with the majority.

Old March 17, 2004, 17:53   #264
Jamski
Deity

I posted my "sent" already, and I may get in the last 4 anyway... but still, the knockout is the best part of Gladiator. I vote for a quarterfinal.

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 18:14   #265
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I don't like the idea of quarter finals. It would be like we get no credit for doing good in the RR. If we had moreplayers to start then QF would be good, but only eliminating one player in the RR does not make sense.

I vote no for QF
Old March 17, 2004, 18:19   #266
Theben
Deity

n/m
Maybe next time.

Last edited by Theben; March 18, 2004 at 09:15.
Old March 17, 2004, 18:23   #267
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
orders sent... ambulance called for .... raz needs mouth to mouth ....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 17, 2004, 18:29   #268
Theben
Deity

little nervous there, buddy?
Old March 17, 2004, 18:32   #269
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
yep , i see my limitations ....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 17, 2004, 18:44   #270
DrSpike
Deity

If you wanted to do quarters we should have started with 8 and gone straight to the knock-out. Personally I like the prelim structure, since it gives more variety, and there is flexibility on how many players can join at the start.