Old March 18, 2004, 00:51   #61
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sounds like we're on the same page, foolish.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 18, 2004, 01:12   #62
Trithemius
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data Angels
Prince

Local Time: 06:47
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Ideas on the proposed message to the Human Hive
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Proposed message to the Hive via Arnelos:
Dear Friends in the Hive:
Shall we appeal to their own propaganda and say:
"To our comrades in the Hive,"?

Quote:
It has come to our attention that PEACE has been viewed as a satelite faction of the Hive.

While logical, this has also jepordized PEACE's ability to effectively conduct the ceasefire negotiations as CPU feels we are simply subserviant to the Hive.
What about:
"It has come to our attention of the Parliament of the Sea (I like this name; so sue me) that PEACE has come to viewed as a satellite-faction of the Human Hive.

While this error, given our factions' close cooperation, is easily made we must also stress that it has jeopardised PEACE's ability to conduct effective cease-fire negotiations with the CPU due to that fact that the CPU considers PEACE to be totally subservient to the Human Hive.
"

Quote:
We have greatly appreciated all the support the Hive has granted us, but must stress that while we really wish to maintain our pact, we must remain neutral in the conflict, if it comes, and request kindly to not be a launch point against CPU otherwise.
"Both the Hive and PEACE have benefitted from the strong positive relationship that exists between our factions, we must seek to emphasize their seperate natures to the CPU. In order to achieve this, we must ask that the Human Hive does not make use of PEACE bases in any attack against the CPU. The perception of PEACE neutrality must be fostered at this time."

Quote:
This is simply to protect ourselves from further misunderstandings that PEACE are direct partners of the Hive.
"PEACE continues to value its pact with the Human Hive and wishes to continue it into the forseeable future, but PEACE itself must also continue to exist for the pact to remain. PEACE's priority then is the continued survival of PEACE. PEACE trusts that their comrades in the Hive can understand this."

Quote:
Thank you, and we wish you luck in whatever you finally choose to do.
Another appeal to their own gibberish:
"PEACE continues to have the highest regard for the Human Hive and for the bold social policies undetaken by its valiant comrade-citizens."

Opinions? Flames?
Old March 18, 2004, 01:18   #63
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by foolish_icarus I agree in principle, except that we have no techs nor naval expertise.
I thought that Pirate ships had some kind of "built-in" good-stuff. In all honesty its been a hell of a long time since I played them. (I normally tend to be a Human Hive / Peacekeepers / Cybernetic Consciousness sort of guy).

Quote:
They deserve oh-so-more than a painful stiffing. But they are violent and erratic and will respond without warning with force if provoked in the slighest (or even nonexistent) way. "Justice" plays no part in their decisions. Perhaps more importantly, we need to discourage the cycon's idea that things can be "paid for" and "smoothed over". Without being provocative to them, we need to circulate the subconscious inclination to avoid force as a solution. They've gotten away with it this far, we should not encourage them.
I think that our exploitation of their misapprehension that they can pay for their sins is a good policy. It is fitting to me that the CPU help us rebuild so we can punish them later. Besides, as I understand it, we need all the energy we can get.

Quote:
Go for it.*
I've gone for it. I'll be updating my signature to reflect my new task and my right to a xenorum ration immediately.

Quote:
*Bear in mind that I have no authority whatsoever and this is not an offical endorsement or authorization of any sort. But we're pretty informal, you could probably get away with just doing it.
Too late!
Old March 18, 2004, 01:40   #64
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:47
Quote:
Sounds like we're on the same page, foolish.
Well good. Real democracy, not the farce in the other factions.

Trithemius, to your revision. With a little bit of FF's smooth style, I suspect it would go down pretty well.

Quote:
I thought that Pirate ships had some kind of "built-in" good-stuff. In all honesty its been a hell of a long time since I played them.
Useless for the time being. We have no navy, will be left behing in the tech race immediately if the Hive stops gifting, and the Cycon have the Maritime control center. This is not to say we lack the ability, built in marines balances things out somewhat, but we need the ships on which to put the marines.

Quote:
I think that our exploitation of their misapprehension that they can pay for their sins is a good policy. It is fitting to me that the CPU help us rebuild so we can punish them later. Besides, as I understand it, we need all the energy we can get.
agree 100%

Quote:
I've gone for it. I'll be updating my signature to reflect my new task and my right to a xenorum ration immediately.
Arrrrrrrrrr!
Old March 18, 2004, 03:00   #65
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by foolish_icarus
Trithemius, to your revision. With a little bit of FF's smooth style, I suspect it would go down pretty well.
I was trying to stop it getting to static, but prolonged experiences with the UN have started to leave their indelible mark on my diplomatic style. I get a little more interesting when I am roleplaying cantankerous magicians in a pseudo-medieval setting.

Quote:
Useless for the time being. We have no navy, will be left behing in the tech race immediately if the Hive stops gifting, and the Cycon have the Maritime control center. This is not to say we lack the ability, built in marines balances things out somewhat, but we need the ships on which to put the marines.
Aha. Can the Pirates also build bases where other people can't? Or has tech caught up already?

Did the Consciousness build the Maritime Control Centre or did they steal it from us?

Quote:
agree 100%
I'll see if we can get anything out of the Free Drones then. I expect other people are already siphoning the Hive and Consciousness.

Quote:
Arrrrrrrrrr!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old March 18, 2004, 03:02   #66
Trithemius
Prince

Oh yeah...what do people think about the "Parliament of the Sea"?
Old March 18, 2004, 11:57   #67
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:47
They built MCC. Pirates can build terrain enhancements in trenches with some appropriate tech, but there aren't many of those on this map so the niche is small
Old March 19, 2004, 11:00   #68
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Here's a merger between the two:

Quote:
Dear Friends in the Hive:
It has come to our attention that PEACE has been viewed as a satelite faction of the Hive.

While logical, given our two factions close cooperation and friendship, we must also stress that it has jepordized PEACE's ability to effectively conduct ceasefire negotiations with the CPU.

Both of our great factions have benefitted from the strong positive relationship that has existed through our conflict with CPU, though we must, for the sake of survival, emphazie our seperate natures to the CPU. In order to achieve this, we must ask that the Human Hive does not make use of the PEACE base, and any future PEACE bases, in any attack against the CPU at this time. The perception of PEACE neutrality must be stictly enforced at this time.

PEACE continues to value the pact we share with the Human Hive and hope that it will continue into the forseeable future, but PEACE itself must also continue to exist for the pact to remain. PEACE's priority, then, is the continued survival of PEACE, and we trust that our comrades in the Hive can understand this.

Our best wishes in whatever direction you choose (peace or war with CPU) but at this juncture all we can do is silently watch from a distance.

FF of the PEACE Parliament of the Sea
Loved the use of their own words, but I think we also need to hold on to our own identity.

Most certainly like the Parliament of the Sea though.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 20, 2004, 00:04   #69
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Here's a merger between the two:

Loved the use of their own words, but I think we also need to hold on to our own identity.
Fair enough, I'm happy to fling copy at you and have you edit or discard it however you like.

Quote:
Most certainly like the Parliament of the Sea though.
Excellent
Old March 20, 2004, 01:51   #70
FlameFlash
Emperor

Is this message moot now?

Just considering with the war against CPU with the Hive, it looks like it might come a little late...

Old March 20, 2004, 02:28   #71
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Is this message moot now?

Just considering with the war against CPU with the Hive, it looks like it might come a little late...
It might be, we should probably send something friendly sounding to the Hive though.

Maybe we should even ask for mercy for the CPU? That could be interesting...
Old March 20, 2004, 02:39   #72
FlameFlash
Emperor

Or mercy from the CPU...

Old March 20, 2004, 04:03   #73
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Or mercy from the CPU...
That's assumed I think.

Update: CPU (via Impaler) repeats their demands for us to break our pact with the Hive on nothing but their say-so. I told Impaler that it was CPU's turn to trust us since there was no way that I could persuade the rest of you that PEACE would just do it at the drop of a hat.

We need to work out if the Hive is going to send anything into our base. If they do then CPU will attack (although they might not win with Hive reinforcements); however if the Hive does not move units into it then CPU might attack anyway.

It's a bit tricky.

P.S. Please, noone tell the CPU -anything- that we know about the Hive forces. We can't trust the CPU yet and it might be enough to make the Hive jump on us.
Old March 21, 2004, 16:24   #74
FlameFlash
Emperor

Agreed, Trith, especially on the CPU needing to prove themselves rather than the Hive needing to prove themselves.

It's a tight spot, that's for sure.

Old March 21, 2004, 23:49   #75
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Agreed, Trith, especially on the CPU needing to prove themselves rather than the Hive needing to prove themselves.
It's a tight spot, that's for sure.
Hopefully we can wriggle out of it. I am a little worried that the CPU has decided to jump on us anyway and that all the diplomacy in the world won't do us a lick of good...

Maybe I will 'think positive' instead.
Old March 22, 2004, 13:03   #76
FlameFlash
Emperor

I'm afriad that's the case, as the only way we got the ceasefire was due to the Hive and Drones wrenching their arms back in the first place. (Otherwise, the were wanting us to be assimilated into their CPU).

Old March 24, 2004, 11:57   #77
FlameFlash
Emperor

This recieved from CPU:

Quote:

CPU regrets to inform the PEACE faction that...
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
a heavy battle between a PUT war ogre and Hive drop forces resulted in the obliteration of Kelvin Grove.
Sanctions are in place.

No worry people, PEACE is still ingame. The ceasefire is in place and working

Old March 24, 2004, 12:04   #78
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
My response:
*Nervous chuckle.* Our many thanks in being recognized as not a part of the Hive but as a friend of world peace.

Old March 24, 2004, 12:07   #79
FlameFlash
Emperor

Drone response and plans, since it has to do with the war, I'm putting it here.

Quote:
jtsisyoda wrote on 24.03.04 19:28:37:
Trithemius,

Our goal right now is to eliminate Uni. (Or the northern CPU continent, if you prefer.) Then we hope to continue into CyCon territory, although we'll have to see how they respond to our invasion of Uni.

We also plan to send some units your way for protection in a few (2-3) turns, if you can hold out.

From buster:
Quote:
As a tip - in case they are facing plane attacks rather than ground units - emptying the base (moving out the units) may prevent CPu from destroying the base by hitting the units inside.
I've asked The Hive whether they were able to prevent Uni from getting MMI next turn. If Uni passes MMI to CyCon, they could drop units into empty bases, in which case buster's advice is not applicable. When I hear something from The Hive, I'll let you know.

-Yoda

Old March 24, 2004, 12:10   #80
FlameFlash
Emperor

My recommendation:

Wow...

I'm recommending mentioning to them that CPU is currently upholding the ceasefire between PEACE and CPU. If possible, they should deploy some protection troops nearby (such as on the land NW of yardarm), but until CPU actually looks like they're going to break the ceasefire we'd rather appear neutral.

Old March 24, 2004, 18:42   #81
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
My recommendation:

Wow...

I'm recommending mentioning to them that CPU is currently upholding the ceasefire between PEACE and CPU. If possible, they should deploy some protection troops nearby (such as on the land NW of yardarm), but until CPU actually looks like they're going to break the ceasefire we'd rather appear neutral.
If the Drones can land forces on the islands earmarked for PEACE expansion then that would be good. It is certainly not in our advantage to have belligerents too close to us.

BTW what is our relationship with the Free Drones? Pact? Treaty?
Old March 25, 2004, 12:09   #82
FlameFlash
Emperor

Pretty sure it's treaty.

And I agree, Trith, that would be best.

Old March 25, 2004, 19:45   #83
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Pretty sure it's treaty.

And I agree, Trith, that would be best.
Shall I pass that on to the Free Drones in my own words (bwa ha ha!) or should we "workshop" a response in here?

Do we need more feedback from the mob, uh I mean Parliament of the Sea before we reply?

[what are the tags for strike-through? It seems so darn handy ]
Old March 25, 2004, 20:22   #84
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:47
Welcome, Cap'n Trithemius.

Hi Maties! I must confess that when I saw that message about how the Borg just had to take out our schooner (that in spite of the presumed fact that it couldn't have conquered that DJ sea base without the base going away), I needed a cooling off period lest I further reinforce the godlet tass' surmise that we hate the Borg. So I went to Acme.com and got me a couple of RoboKits(tm). It is most gratifying to watch them sputter and spark when they flail around in the drink after walking the plank, not to mention the fun things you can do with your dirks and cutlasses. If you've got the patience, you can get your University slave advisor to reprogram the little bots to do cool stuff like dirty da"ncing to the tune of one of the Spartan Barrack's famous Borg ditties (There once was a Borg from Tiberia, who boasted a wondrous ....."), not to mention other (unmentionable) fun things. My favorite trick is the bot that comes running up and presents himself to me obsequiously: "Boss, Boss!", it begs, "Please break my 'pact', please please!".

As to whether or not the Hive betrayed us to the Cycon earlier in the game, where is the evidence or admission of that? To my knowledge, the Hive would have known nothing that the Cycon didn't already know at that point in time (unless they had better DLs or other illegal infiltration) and any legit information would have been limited only to what someone could see with infiltration, which certainly doesn't include our intentions and the Borg had the Pact infiltration themselves and I'd be really surprised if they didn't infiltrate us themselves first thing after breaking the pact. So where's the betrayal there? OTOH, that is not to say that the Hive might not be playing us in their own way (and it certainly doesn't rule out the possibility that there are dissident elements in the Hive that might do otherwise unsanctioned things), I'm just wondering why it seems that the Cycon allegations were so readily 'bought into'.

Last edited by johndmuller; March 25, 2004 at 20:29.
Old March 25, 2004, 20:57   #85
Trithemius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
Welcome, Cap'n Trithemius.
Arrr! It's good to be aboard!

Quote:
*snip! - various amusing antics*
That is indeed a novel method of stress relief

Quote:
As to whether or not the Hive betrayed us to the Cycon earlier in the game, where is the evidence or admission of that? To my knowledge, the Hive would have known nothing that the Cycon didn't already know at that point in time (unless they had better DLs or other illegal infiltration) and any legit information would have been limited only to what someone could see with infiltration, which certainly doesn't include our intentions and the Borg had the Pact infiltration themselves and I'd be really surprised if they didn't infiltrate us themselves first thing after breaking the pact. So where's the betrayal there? OTOH, that is not to say that the Hive might not be playing us in their own way (and it certainly doesn't rule out the possibility that there are dissident elements in the Hive that might do otherwise unsanctioned things), I'm just wondering why it seems that the Cycon allegations were so readily 'bought into'.
I don't think anyone really believed the Cybernetic Consciousness. I know that I made use of CyCon fears that the Hive (allied with the Free Drones) were out to get them (and I was even right!) in my diplomatic endeavours. My main point was that the Hive might not be playing with PEACE in mind (to be expected, really), and forgetting that could be disastrous for PEACE, especially at this stage. Maybe I just have realpolitik on the brain?

P.S. I demand knowledge of your "strike-through text" technology! Transfer the files at once!

-----------------------------------

AWWKKK!!!
T, I'd be glad to tell you the secret, but maybe your pirate timbers would be better shivvered if you stole it from me.
(Try 'pirating' 'editing' my (or this) post.)

....the Cuspidore

I forgot that we could edit each other's posts...

FF

Last edited by FlameFlash; March 26, 2004 at 12:25.
Old June 15, 2004, 10:00   #86
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 20:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Trithemius
Maybe we should even ask for mercy for the CPU? That could be interesting...

Quote:
Or mercy from the CPU...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old June 15, 2004, 12:17   #87
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
Quote:
[03:05] Impaler[WrG]> though it did help us avert infiltration by your Probe Ships
[03:05] Makahlua> I -thought- something wa odd about thet. heh.
To the cycon:
Hey didn't you guys tell me that Tassadar or Googile gave the coordinates of the probe ship to you because they ruled the exploration illegal. You guys were quite happily telling me everything I gave you was useless if I remember correctly.

To the Peace:
"yes the Hive gave us info on you"
Hive did give information on you. You had a non-aggression pact, while cycon had a pact of friendship. The majority took non-aggression to mean infiltration data was okay.

I had objections because I thought the cycon might tell the peace that we gave infiltration data away on them. Ironically I was told that would never happen, because it was unlikely we would choose the peace over the cycon.
Old June 15, 2004, 12:19   #88
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
[03:08] Trithemius|> At least in this matter, I would not associate PEACE and the Hive.
[03:08] Trithemius|> It is plainly a ploy on the Hive's part to distract you. I hate to spell it out so, but it seems abundantly clear to me.
I wasn't involved at the time, but knowing my team it most likely was a poly to distract you.
Old June 15, 2004, 12:26   #89
Kody
Emperor

It seems that the cycon underestimated the Hive's hatred of the University. Once you joined up with the University I doubted there would be any negotiation.
Old June 15, 2004, 12:54   #90
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 20:47
:shrugs:

Hive/Drones would have knocked on the CyCon door after Uni was gone anyway. At least we acquired some techs that prolonged the end a bit.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario