Old March 6, 2004, 17:33   #1
Thrax
Settler

Local Time: 18:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Military to cause unhappy people
I want to know of there is any fun in units that cause unhappiness, i looked but i cannot find any option to do that.

I want to see how the AI and players handle if they cannot mass units incide city's and must rely on putting them on the map, making forts etc.

Could anyone shed light if this is even possible to accomplish?

Thx

Thrax
Thrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2004, 01:31   #2
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 19:49
I don't know if it's possible in Civ3, but it was part of Civ1. Bombers and Nukes automatically made people unhappy in the city where they were located. Very inconvenient! And if you were a Republic or Democracy, having any other kinds of units *away* from their home cities made the inhabitants unhappy too (the Civ1 equivalent of war weariness, but it applied whether you were at war or not). All most vexing.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2004, 03:16   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:49
Civ2 had the bit about the citizens being unhappy if the troops were not in town. You had to set the support for the new city as soon as it could afford it. I did not care for that.
You got the same reaction if they were even in the city radius, rather than actually in the city. Even engineers, that was nuts.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2004, 11:12   #4
Lord God Jinnai
King

Local Time: 12:49
Yea...i could see now if a unit was in a forigen country you did not have an agreement to move through, but that is generally covered now.
Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.
Lord God Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2004, 18:19   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
Re: Military to cause unhappy people
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrax
I want to know of there is any fun in units that cause unhappiness, i looked but i cannot find any option to do that.

I want to see how the AI and players handle if they cannot mass units incide city's and must rely on putting them on the map, making forts etc.

Could anyone shed light if this is even possible to accomplish?

Thx

Thrax
If you go to Governments in the editor, you'll find the settings for Military Police limits. I don't know whether you can go into a negative number though, I've never tried it. You can at least set it to 0, but that's what Democracy is now, so I doubt you'll really notice any difference.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2004, 11:19   #6
MqsTout
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:49
Wow. Am I the only one who liked the military units causing unhappiness bits in Civ1/2? The Civ3 war-weariness system doesn't seem as fun to me.

As for units having home cities, I liked that too. I particularly liked that units were tied to shields (and settlers to food). It cut down on growth a little bit. You'd be leery about building up excessive units more than just worrying about cash, since it would hurt your long-term production capabilities. I really liked needing my core cities to produce military units _and support them_ to defend my newer cities.

A hybrid of the systems has to be possible. (Insert cliche "Maybe in Civ4!" here.)

That was a nice idea there -- military units IN a city causing unhappiness. It'd be tough for an AI, that's for sure. Too bad it's not possible; it'd be a decent variant to try.
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2004, 17:16   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
Quote:
Originally posted by MqsTout
Wow. Am I the only one who liked the military units causing unhappiness bits in Civ1/2?
I'd say so yes. I'm certainly glad they did away with that. It makes a lot more sense the way it's done now, and there's much less micromanagement involved. It could be a real pain sometimes trying to determine what city a unit was in order to reduce the unhappiness there.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote