Old March 23, 2004, 08:57   #361
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Bullshit. I sent our orders on March 19.
Ok, for 2 days or so, but waiting on Red Team for at least a week. I stand corrected

So... what are the options for 5-a-side Beta?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:04   #362
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 20:56
I think that, with the current field situation, the Red team should at least try to score. We can keep the game going, while discussing new ideas.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:11   #363
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

How about if each team is controlled ONLY by one player, but with more teams? We could run a league, over a period of time.

I'm trying to think of a more interesting, deterministic, simple, stat-related way of running each turn...

There's something cooking under the surface...

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:28   #364
Zopperoni
Emperor

That could be cool, if you wouldn't mind referee-ing all those matches.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:44   #365
Jamski
Deity

I'm thinking of something a bit like Gladiator... the rules are simple, the stratagy is deep, and the results are easy to calculate...

Some kind of system where players pick
  • 5 players with names and stats (skill, speed, strength)
  • A team formation
  • The team's basic passing tactics (long, short, close)
  • The team's basic shooting tactics (long, short, close)
  • The team's basic marking tactics (zonal, free, man-to-man)
  • The teams basic tackling tactics (hard, soft, interception)

These would have scissor/paper/rock effects on the performance of the team's passing, defense and attack, which would then be compared to get the result of the first half. Then the teams would play again for the second half...

Needs some work...

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 09:51   #366
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:56
Hmm I like this, and we could make it like the original Gladiator, with different players GM'ing different matches.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:56   #367
Jamski
Deity

Or one person could do them all, either way.

I need to think about the system a bit. I want to have a few more options than Gladiator, and possibly we could even swop players...

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 10:04   #368
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Transfers!

That would be great fun. Though I reckon most of the people here would drive pretty hard bargains.
Old March 23, 2004, 11:46   #369
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 13:56
I tried to tell you one GM per team days ago.

Anyhow, this will probably be a good one, but I suggest that you keep it to 2-3 man teams, with an assumed goalie that cannot move from his square, that is, you'll have to beat the goalie if you get into scoring position.

You might want to consider X amount of points to be distributed amongst all players, so that you can make superstars and run-o'-the-mill players instead of every player with X points.

Also, best to test this with two very forum active players before starting a real championship.
Old March 23, 2004, 11:50   #370
Jamski
Deity

I have the perfect rules idea, developed from Duke's, Doc's, Spaced's suggestions mostly, and hung on a Gladiator framework.

It came to me fully formed as I washed up.

Give me 15 minutes to type it all out.

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 11:52   #371
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Volunteering Spaced?

'Cos I aint.
Old March 23, 2004, 12:19   #372
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Uh, actually, I was think about someone who knows more about soccer than I (AKA stupid Americans)
Old March 23, 2004, 12:32   #373
Jamski
Deity

Apolyton Football Rules Beta

Part One : Object of the game

The object of the game is to manage a 5-a-side football squad to ultimate victory in the Apolyton football championships. Each player is the manager of one team, and must choose the 5 players and tactics for each match. Orders are then sent by PM to the GM, who uses the deterministic rules to obtain the score line.

Part Two : Buying your team
  • Each team has 5 players on the pitch at any time.
  • A team can have any number of players in the squad.
  • Each player has 3 basic stats, Skill(Sk), Speed(Sp) and Strength(Str)
  • Each player also has a level of Fitness(Fit) - similar to hit points, a player who's fitness is zero is injured and cannot play.
  • No basic stat can be more than 5 when buying your team.
  • Each stat increase above the basic level of 1 costs $1,000,000
  • Each player starts with a bank of $50,000,000
  • A player may have any number of 1-1-1 (1) players in the squad for free.

An example of a squad :

Code:
Apolyton United

Name		Sk Sp Str  Fitness
Doc		4  4  2      4
Spaced		3  2  3      3
Skanky		2  2  5      3
Zopperoni	1  3  1      3
Jamski (c)	5  4  3      5
Frozzy		2  4  1      1
Duke		2  1  4      1

Part Three : Setting up the team

Each player can play in one of 3 positions. A goalkeeper is not part of the system (either assume he's there, or not, as you wish). The different positions call upon different player-stats :

Code:
Defense		Skill + Strength
Midfield	Skill + Speed
Attack		Speed + Strength
A perfect attacker in peak condition would be 5-0-5 (5), for example.

Depending on your formation (see "Tactics", below) choose the best players for each position.

Tactics

Formations:
The five players on your team may be spread on the field as you wish. 3 attackers, 1 midfield, 1 defender, or 1 upfront, 2 in the middle and 2 at the back? Any combination is possible. Its allowed to play 0 players in attack, midfield or defense as you wish.

Passing and tackling:
Passing is either long, short or close. Tackling is either hard, intercept or mixed. The combinations of the two are below:

Code:
Your		Opponents	Your
Passing		Tackling	Result

Long		Hard		+10 Attack
Long		Soft		No effect
Long		Intercept	-10 Attack
Short		Hard		No effect
Short		Soft		-10 Defense
Short		Intercept	+10 Defense
Close		Hard		-10 Midfield
Close		Soft		+10 Midfield
Close		Intercept	No effect

Part Four : Playing the match

Each team has 100 points (like Gladiator) to split between Attacking, Defending and Possession. Each half has 3 "rounds" between which the points must be shared. For example :

Code:
Attack	Defense	Possession
20	20	6
10	10	24
0	10	0

The player's stats affect this thus :

Code:
Total Attacking = All Strikers' Sp + All Strikers' Str + Points put in Attack.

Total Defending = All Defenders' Sk + All Defenders' Str + Points put in Defense

Total Possession = All Midfielders' Sk + All Midfielders' Sp + Points put in Possession.
The scores are compared. The team with the highest Possession gets the ball. They are the "attacker" for this half (or quarter or whatever)

If the "attacker's" Total Attack beats the "defender's" Total Defense, then a goal is scored. If its equal or more than double the defense, 2 goals are scored, and so on for three times greater, four times greater etc...

If the "attacker's" Total Attack is half or less of the "defender's" Total Defense, then a goal is scored against the attacker on the counter attack.

Part 5 : Special Tactics

Before each match each player can select one "Special Tactic" to be played in the first or second half of the game. There is some risk involved in all of them, but the players are not oblicged to employ them.

Part 6 : The Big Picture

Fitness :

If a player has 0 Fitness then he cannot play in that match. Fitness is regained at one point per missed half. Each half played in decreases a player's fitness by 1.

Fixing the team :

Each player gets an income of $1,000,000 per match to spend on training, buying new players, sending injured players to hospital etc. Costs are the same as when buying the team in part 2 above.

Winning the Championship :

The championship will probably be some combination of a round-robin group stage, followed by semifinals and finals.

So... What do people think? Its Gladiators on steroids, eh?

-Jam

Last edited by Jamski; March 23, 2004 at 13:26.
Old March 23, 2004, 12:42   #374
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Me likey!
Old March 23, 2004, 12:52   #375
Jamski
Deity

You likey? Great! Its basically the redux rules you made for Gladiator, with some more options.

Do you think orders should be sent for each half TOGETHER, like the current Gladiator rules, where each poster sends 3 rounds totalling 100?

I think that would make sense, 3 rounds of 15 minutes sent together, then half time, when you can change the tactics, players, formation, passing, etc, then another 3 rounds sent together.

JUST like the Gladiator prelim rounds.

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 13:06   #376
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Okay, now that I have your attention, here come the questions:

Seems like you made a few typos (no really, Spaced)

Shouldn't the long hard (in tactics, fools) result be +10 attack (RPS).

Also you need to have (in playing the match) total possession=....not total attack (C&P)

Also, fitness, come on now Mr. types-a-lot
Old March 23, 2004, 13:15   #377
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Shouldn't the long hard (in tactics, fools) result be +10 attack (RPS).
Correct. Well spotted I'll edit that.

Quote:
Also you need to have (in playing the match) total possession=....not total attack (C&P)
Bingo. I'm guessing you understand the rules I'll edit that too.

Fitness... I'm not sure of the constant yet. Should fitness go down 1 point each half, or each match? I think each half, then it makes sense to make a substitution after halftime.

Fitness is regained by missing a whole match. A player whos fitness reaches 0 cannot play.

What do you think? Add them in?

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 13:15   #378
DrSpike
Deity

Jamski you are an RPS god. If you applied half as much ingenuity to real life as you do to designing spam inducing forum games you'd be a millionaire for sure.

I love it, though since I am a balance nazi I'll probably weigh in with some thoughts when it's all clear in my head.
Old March 23, 2004, 13:30   #379
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Jamski you are an RPS god. If you applied half as much ingenuity to real life as you do to designing spam inducing forum games you'd be a millionaire for sure.
From you, this is real praise Thankyou. I hope there's a market for these things somewhere...

I'm sure you've already thought of having no defenders, packing the midfield with 4 players to always get the ball (defense won't matter then), and putting one star striker up front. Very vunerable to counter attacking though. And wait till you see the wild cards

(BTW, corrected and edited the rules, added part 6 too)

-Jam
Old March 23, 2004, 15:06   #380
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Jam,

How many halves or quarters are in a real soccer game? (2 halves, but there are not quarters??)

I like the fitness thing, very good.

Perhaps in keeping with the glad style. 100 points per half? for the RR, 2 sets of 100 for the semis, and 3-4 sets of 100 for the finals.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:17   #381
Zopperoni
Emperor

There are no quarters in football. It'd look awkward if play was stopped after 22 minutes and 30 seconds.
Old March 23, 2004, 23:38   #382
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
What are these special tactics? Would you have specialists like dead ball (free kick) specialists? What about having the winning team make more money? Also, shouldn't Defense work the same way as Attack? That is, if the Attack is 1/2 or less than Defense, one goal is scored on the counterattack. If the Attack is 1/3 or less than Defense, 2 goals are scored on the counterattack, etc.
Old March 23, 2004, 23:44   #383
Urban Ranger
Deity

Alternative Rules
What about this?

For each multiple of X points (3, 5, etc.) in Possession, that side gets one Scoring Chance, with their Attack compared against the Defense of the other team. If the Attack is twice or higher than the Defense, one goal is scored. If the Attack is 1/2 or less than the Defense, one goal is scored by the other team on the counterattack.

Also, anything on tactics?
Old March 24, 2004, 04:06   #384
Jamski
Deity

Nah, getting massive possession in midfield won't give you any more scoring chances. Playing keep-ball doesn't move the game forward. Simply having more possession will give you the chance to attack instead of defend for that round.

And counter-attack should, I feel, be restricted to one goal, otherwise there's no compulsion to attack.

Quote:
Perhaps in keeping with the glad style. 100 points per half? for the RR, 2 sets of 100 for the semis, and 3-4 sets of 100 for the finals.
I thought 100 points split into 3 rounds for the first half, and repeat for the second half. (see part 4, above) each round would then represent about 15 minutes of play.

Special tactics and star players are the icing on the cake, and will be added later.

-Jam
Old March 24, 2004, 04:43   #385
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Nah, getting massive possession in midfield won't give you any more scoring chances. Playing keep-ball doesn't move the game forward. Simply having more possession will give you the chance to attack instead of defend for that round.
I am not sure. Controlling the midfield seems to be quite important in a football game. Having the ball on your sides means you can move it forward -- thus more chances of getting goals.
Old March 24, 2004, 04:44   #386
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
And counter-attack should, I feel, be restricted to one goal, otherwise there's no compulsion to attack.
That's why I suggested winner gets more $$$.
Old March 24, 2004, 04:45   #387
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 06:56
Count me out of the new game... I'm not sure I'll have time to contribute while ironing out the bugs in my American Football game.
Old March 24, 2004, 05:19   #388
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
I am not sure. Controlling the midfield seems to be quite important in a football game. Having the ball on your sides means you can move it forward -- thus more chances of getting goals.
Indeed. Having the ball in these rules means you have A chance of scoring a goal. But if you want to score from this chance you have to put points in attack. Playing keep-ball doesn't bring anything except possession.

Quote:
That's why I suggested winner gets more $$$.
Always a bad idea to make the winners get stronger. Then the winners always win, and the losers can never catch up.

-Jam
Old March 24, 2004, 05:48   #389
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Indeed. Having the ball in these rules means you have A chance of scoring a goal.
That's a bit low.

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Jamski
But if you want to score from this chance you have to put points in attack. Playing keep-ball doesn't bring anything except possession.{/quote]

A high control of the midfield + moderate attack usually end up in more goals scored than low control of the midfield + high attack.

Quote:
Always a bad idea to make the winners get stronger. Then the winners always win, and the losers can never catch up.
The winner doesn't necessarily always win. More $$$ only translate into players with higher stats.

BTW, how does a player lose health?
Old March 24, 2004, 06:30   #390
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:

-Jam
I'm in agreement on this. Rewarding the early winners is a bad plan.