Old March 10, 2004, 16:58   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A sudden revelation of perplexity
Broken Kingdom is almost done, and it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea what the devil I'm supposed to do with it when I finish it. A ZIP file, obviously, but what do I do with the ZIP file? Can those be uploaded here like graphics, or do I need to dig up some el cheapo host like geocities to keep the thing alive online?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 10, 2004, 17:07   #2
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
you can post it here. And you can send it to the spanish.apolyton.net site webmaster, who will put it in the best-of-net section. You can also submit it to Apoly's directory, Civfanatics directory and open a thread in cdgroup.org
Old March 10, 2004, 17:25   #3
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
You can (at least temporarily) put it in your Apolyton upload space (if it is too large to be attached). That's what it is for after all... Then do what yaroslav said.
Old March 10, 2004, 19:35   #4
Elok
Emperor

Thank you. But as it turns out, I was counting them thar chickens before they hatched. Read on.

This is probably Mercator's territory, as it apparently has something to do with maps: every time I try to change terrain via the cheat menu, it crashes and blames it on "NOMOREHEAP." The terrain editor works fine, and I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the rules file, because the game always has a hissy-fit the second I load a bad rules.txt...is the heap it's run out of the same "string heap" mentioned in labels.txt? What the deuce does it mean? Will it be a problem for the player too (I want it gone regardless, but I really wanna know what's up with this)?

EDIT: This doesn't happen when trying to change ocean squares, only land. Presumptively it has to do with the land-only improvements option (Railroad, farmland, irrigation). Still trying to figure out what though. I checked, and the string heap size is okay.

Oh, and the error message also mentions "popup." Popup menu overflow of some kind mayhap?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."

Last edited by Elok; March 10, 2004 at 20:24.
Old March 10, 2004, 20:31   #5
Boco
King

Local Time: 14:02
What are your @TERRAIN settings? IIRC, the following will cause a crash.[list=1][*]Irrigate a plains square on the map.[*]Edit the plains line of @TERRAIN by putting 'no' in the irrigate field and '1' in the irrigated food bonus field.[*]Reload the game.[*]Change the irrigated plains square to anything else.[/list=1]
Old March 10, 2004, 22:16   #6
Elok
Emperor

Heh, I managed to solve it by trial and error, but thanks Boco. As it turns out, the computer does NOT like irrigation loops, e.g. plains become grassland become tundra become plains again. Because Change Terrain at Cursor initially lists all the terrain types a land type can be irrigated into, and the land types *those* land types can be irrigated into, presenting it with a loop makes it think it has to give you infinite options, which, needless to say, blows its little binary mind.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 11, 2004, 10:33   #7
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
I guess that wasn't quite my territory... I didn't know that.
Old March 11, 2004, 18:20   #8
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
It reminds me of the loops in the tech three: it also makes Civ2 to crash.
Old March 11, 2004, 19:52   #9
Elok
Emperor

Yeah, I thought of those too. The scenario is now finished, or at least up to the beta stage, for your downloading pleasure. Hint, hint!
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."