View Poll Results: Do you want to impose these law?
YES! we need order 2 28.57%
NO! lets just forget it 5 71.43%
NO! I want this law....(post the law please) 0 0%
BANNANNA 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11, 2004, 17:32   #1
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 15:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Rupublic Of Apolytonia Constitution
I think its time to get a constitution together for our little republic. And i would like to start by imposing TERM restrictions on minister positions.

1. I propose a 15 turn limit per session. The consul or minister playing may stop any time prior to that if they wish.

2. I propose a 3 session Term limit for ministers.

3. In addition to the term limit I propose that each individual be limited to a total of 3 terms in a particular office, unless a consensus vote (100%) from the community calls for that persons re-election
Old March 11, 2004, 17:36   #2
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

5 day limit on this so VOTE, it's a powerfull tool.
Old March 12, 2004, 22:05   #3
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:05
Constitutions have been tried before. They always fail. A Constitution can never replace the demands of changing situations in a Civ game.

Vote "No".
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old March 15, 2004, 14:29   #4
Zedd
Prince

I see nothing here that has not been successfully used in other games. An established turn limit give the citizens a solid opportunity to voice thier opinion, and term limits would force an election. Here we now have a constant government with no established election time.

While I have enjoyed this game and taking part as I have, it defeats the point to have a democracy game with one set of elected officials for the entirety of the game
Old March 15, 2004, 14:54   #5
cavebear
Emperor

I misunderstood your intent. We have always had 1 month terms of office before, with elections being held the last week of the month. I just expected we would continue that. I thought you wanted to make terms of office based on sessions rather than months.

Shall we continue the monthly terms?
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old March 15, 2004, 16:46   #6
Zedd
Prince

Monthly seems fine to me, but I would like to keep the turn limits, though it would mean more turn logs posted.

I will re-organize my thoughts on this and post a more accurate poll, unless the people want to voice thier opinions here.
Old March 15, 2004, 18:29   #7
cavebear
Emperor

I think 10-15 turns per session is fine for now, though it should become fewer turns as our civ becomes more developed. 8-10 seemed to works well for us in previous games.

The election schedule from past games was to open a nomination thread on the 22nd and a 3-day election poll on the 27th. The VP did that. Since we have no VP at the moment, I volunteer to do those administrative tasks. That is, of course, up to the Consul.
Old March 16, 2004, 06:41   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: November 3, 2010
/me wonders if he should try to find his list of guidelines that we have in place of a Constitution

Term limits is about the strongest of those. We should be fine without any strict rules, as we can all discuss any issue that anyone is unhappy with. And that works a damn sigth better than any hideously long and overcomplex Constitution, trust me on that.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 16, 2004, 14:43   #9
Zedd
Prince

My use of the "constitution" was probably a bit strong. I meant to accomplish exactly what you guys are talkin about. I certainly didn't want a lengthy document and bill of rights, just some playing guidelines. And since we are playing gov based turns I thought we could leave it open for some creative changes. For example the republic sould require the elected ministers to rotate game play between them rather than a "consul" be named. Or in Democracy we could have a "senate" rather than ministers.

i was just hoping to get things started with the term limits and hoped some others would chime in with some other ideas for us to vote on.
Old March 17, 2004, 12:19   #10
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 19:05
Since we are meant to be playing in the style of our present government (in this case, Republic), we should do everything possible to replicate this. This is already in the guidelines - so even the rules say we should have a constitution!

Because of this, I think we should make one, even if it is just a spruced up version of the guidelines.
Old March 26, 2004, 20:22   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Whatever the outcome, it is good to bring this up every now and again. Whatever I think, opinions may change, and democracy must continue to be up to date with the people who vote.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!