Old March 12, 2004, 07:52   #1
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Nuclear War VIII: Sign-Up Thread
Each player starts with 3 cities, and may perform 1 order each turn. Orders should be sent to me through:

PM
MSN/email: angusniven @ hotmail.com

(When orders has been sent, please post a “sent” msg in the thread, to make sure I have received the order).

If you don’t send any orders for a turn, you won't be auto-set to do something (I won't deflect for you, I won't do anything for you... ), and since I post a msg from time to time in the forum about who still needs to send orders, people can see who’s open for nuking, so be sure to send them

If you don’t send your orders, there will be consequences, unless you can come up with a good reason BEFORE you’re missing your orders (i.e. if you’re going on vacation tell us BEFORE you leave, not when you get home)

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# of turns missed: Consequences:
1: nothing
2: You’ll lose one city this round
3: You’ll lose two cities this round
4: ---------you get Wasted--------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each turn takes about 24 hours (Ending at 9 AM GMT each day) (Though there might be some changes, so don’t count on it being ready every day at this time... maybe it’ll be earlier, maybe later). If I have received all orders before time runs out, the turn has ended and I’ll post the results early

You will be able to change your orders up until one hour before the end of the turn, except for observation missions, which can be changed until you receive the information.

Spy missions don't count as orders: e.g. you can sabotage an enemy and nuke him in the same turn. Each player starts with one spy

Orders:

Launch Nukes:

The player can launch two nukes. The nukes can be launched at different players or they can be launched to the same player, depending on preference.

* Stockpile Nukes:
When stockpiling nukes you can launch 4 nukes instead of 2 at some time. You can't stockpile stockpiled nukes, the max # of nukes is 4. You don't have to use the stockpiled nukes the following turn. If you've got stockpiled nukes and want to nuke someone, but also keep the stockpiled nukes, you may, but (obviously), you can only use two.

* Deflect:
When deflecting nukes to a certain player, every second nuke to arrive that turn will be deflected to another player (Which has to be included in the orders). The nukes which get deflected is: 1, 3, 5… while 2, 4, 6… will hit

Hide in bunker:
Each player starts with one bunker. When used, ALL nukes fired at you are destroyed (Not deflected), and all spies sent against you are killed (caught by the guards). After one use, the bunker is unavailable, unless rebuilt.

* Build a Bunker:

Gives you another bunker to use.

* Train a new spy:
Just like it sounds. (No-one starts with any spies)

Build City:
You get one extra city.

Sabotage (Spy):
When using sabotage on another player, the other players orders will be cancelled. This kills the spy used. Sabotage does not work on bunkers; stockpiled nukes launches that are sabotaged lose the stockpile involved.

All orders marked with a * sign shall be referred to as "unknown projects" unless they specifically come into play that turn.

If you post a "sent" msg in the thread, but I don't recieve any orders, I'll auto-set you to whatever you want your 'default' orders to be - send them with your first orders (Of course I'll send you a msg that I didn't recieve your orders)

Player and City List:

Doc (PRime, Whole, Real)
Spaced Cowboy (No, Kill, I)
Skanky Burns (Thief, SMAc, Tibia)
Jamski (Pike, Trout, Haddock)
MrBaggins (Mecca, Jerusalem, Vatican City)
Vlad Antlerkov (Patriot Act, tax Cuts, Why Do You Hate Antlerkovistan So Much?)
Hercules (Gloom, Doom, Boom)

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; March 17, 2004 at 02:19.
Old March 12, 2004, 08:07   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm in.

As always I'll offer my latest take on balance in our fine game.

1) We need to make it consistent what the GM says about deflection, bunkering, and spies/stockpile. Probably it's best I think to call all of them unknown projects.

2) My terrorists idea has failed. It was there to provide something for the dead people, but if only 1 per game is voting like the last it's just silly. And I'm not just saying that because Skanky hampered me last game (and I still won - in your face Skanks ) - the idea doesn't work without more committed dead people (great sentence ), so I propose we drop it.

Votes on both?
Old March 12, 2004, 08:11   #3
DrSpike
Deity

Also, observe with Spy should be dropped IMO. It was never going to work well with a PM game, and it's underused since sabotage is more powerful (and, I think, now balanced).
Old March 12, 2004, 08:12   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

True, that... if you can prevent someone from carrying out their orders at all, you don't need to know what they are.
Old March 12, 2004, 08:29   #5
DrSpike
Deity

Also, can you add "Rebuild Bunker" explicitly as an order.
Old March 12, 2004, 10:05   #6
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:06
I agree on the terrorist, not a good idea. Hampers the "active" players.

I also agree on the observe, not useful.

Not only should you be able to re/build the bunker, you should be able to have as many as you want, up to say 3 max.

Lastly, a question of spies: If I have 2 of them, can I send them against two different opponents?

Oh, and I'm in again!
Old March 12, 2004, 10:13   #7
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah 2 spies can be deployed simultaneously. Going on from SC's bunker comment perhaps instead of making 'Rebuild' an explicit order just give the option to build another bunker at any time as an order. This should also be classified as unknown project as per my earlier suggestion. There doesn't need to be a cap, since it isn't advantageous to build too many bunkers.
Old March 12, 2004, 10:24   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Why the maximum for bunkers? If someone wants to spend all their time building bunkers, more power to them. The cost is built in to such an operation - they are wide open for an entire turn.

I agree with removing the observe function - it isn't used. I also agree with removing the terrorist part, though it was fun to harass someone even if they did go on to defeat someone who had no less than 4 times the number of cities they did.

I would like to point out that the last game was a travesty. Despite that, I'll be in again.
Old March 12, 2004, 10:37   #9
DrSpike
Deity

Ok so 2 of my suggestions are in unless someone raises strenuous objections later. No one is saying anything about the wording on the projects though. I feel this should be consistent, and all the projects mentioned fall under 'unknown projects'.

Also I feel it should be more clear which orders you can combine and how. Hence the rules should say a spy (or spies) can be used in conjunction with any other order. Stockpiled nukes (or just one nuke) can be retained but only fired as part of a later nuke order.
Old March 12, 2004, 11:06   #10
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I agree on "the projects" wording.
Old March 12, 2004, 11:20   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:06
Cool. Count me in. Cities : "Pike", "Trout" and "Haddock"

My Opinions :
  • Lose the dead leaders' club/terrorists - in favour
  • Lose spies observe - in favour
  • Unlimited rebuild bunker - in favour
  • All projects as "unknown/secret projects" - in favour
  • Build spy as default if orders fail - not in favour - let each player request a default if they think they need one.

And perhaps we can all get along in a more friendly fashion than the last game...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 12, 2004, 11:26   #12
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

In
Old March 12, 2004, 11:38   #13
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 13:06
I'm in.

My votes:

Terrorists: Remove
"Observe orders" spy command: Remove
"Build bunker" as order: add
"Secret projects": yes
Default orders: Can be set by player

My city names:

Patriot Act
Tax Cuts
Why Do You Hate Antlerkovistan So Much?
Old March 12, 2004, 11:39   #14
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

BTW, any tips from the aged learned veterans of Nuclear War I thru VII?
Old March 12, 2004, 11:41   #15
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 13:06
Yes. You should just idle every turn, it keeps suspicion away from you.
Old March 12, 2004, 11:55   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

It is all about negotiations and who you can trust.

My cities: No Kill I
Old March 12, 2004, 11:55   #17
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
BTW, any tips from the aged learned veterans of Nuclear War I thru VII?
Um, don't get nuked.
Old March 12, 2004, 12:08   #18
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Best tip : keep quiet, build cities, train spies and stockpile nukes. You don't want to be the first to strike and then make the rest of the players hate you.

***Proposal***

We all try and forget the rivalries that have dogged the last games.

-Jam
Old March 12, 2004, 12:14   #19
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah you wish! I have a feeling SC may harbour a small grudge. And probably Skanky will stupidly ensure myself and him both lose.
Old March 12, 2004, 12:26   #20
Jamski
Deity

We could start by docnuking Skanky and Spaced then

-Jam
Old March 12, 2004, 12:28   #21
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

docnuking? is that a particular tactic?

BTW... keep em coming.
Old March 12, 2004, 12:32   #22
DrSpike
Deity

Nah, you're on your own with Spaced, and hopefully Skanky and I can come to some agreement.
Old March 12, 2004, 12:34   #23
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
docnuking? is that a particular tactic?

BTW... keep em coming.
Not really........coordinating a vote in 'mafia' is called docpiling, a variant of dogpiling. It doesn't happen here because most attacks are not coordinated.

Just play and learn.........the rules are simple enough.
Old March 12, 2004, 13:22   #24
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Although in the first game, we did have two different factions.

Also, there can be quite a bit of PM'ing behind the scenes. Try sending PM's to get things like a 5 turn no-nuke pact with an option to re-opt afterwards.
Old March 13, 2004, 04:13   #25
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Okay, all requested rule-changes have been made.
Old March 13, 2004, 06:36   #26
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

We should start the factions again.
Old March 13, 2004, 06:49   #27
Jamski
Deity

Ok, I'm forming the evil Communist Apache Indian faction. Its open for anyone to enter. Our aim : Global Nuclear Domination.

-Jam
Old March 13, 2004, 11:30   #28
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Okay, I'm starting the "Cool, Happening Doods" faction. Our aim: Eliminate the opposition.
Old March 13, 2004, 11:53   #29
DrSpike
Deity

One presumes these factions include acting to attack those who attack people in your faction?
Old March 13, 2004, 12:17   #30
Jamski
Deity

Of course. We persue a policy of Full and Swift retaliation.

-Jam