Old March 12, 2004, 16:38   #1
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Help picking an RPG
I notice there are always lots of threads around about RPG's. I have never been a big RPG fan, though it is possible I was put off by the really geeky RPG's that were the mainstream when I was forming my gaming preferences.

So, pick one for me to get from (shortlist from browsing 'Poly for a while):

KOTOR
BG2
NWN
Morrowind

SP interest only. Give reasons for your choice. Ta.

Doc
Old March 12, 2004, 16:59   #2
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Kotor is my pick.

It is one of the best RPGs that I've played, although I have not played NWN or Morrowind. I really did not like BG2 too much, seemed too much like Icewind Dale (that I just finished).

Kotor has better dialog and the combat is easier. I got tired of fighting Uber hulks in BG2.

I saw Morrowind GoTY edition on sale today for $20...hmmm, and I was led to believe that NWN did not have a good story line.
Old March 12, 2004, 17:28   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

BG 2 would be the best if you want my advice, a real big game with nice story, nice characters, some real good voice acting. Beware though, addictive!
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old March 12, 2004, 17:29   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
Big difference between 3rd person and 1st person perspective.
If you prefer one over the other, that narrows the choices.
Old March 12, 2004, 17:37   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 19:07
KOTOR or BG2, depending on your genre preference.

Personally, I'd go with forgotten realms over star wars any day. Not even a comparison.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 12, 2004, 18:40   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

It has to be Baldur's Gate 2. Its infinitely replayable and sooooo addictive. Its moving, humourous, furious, exciting, tactical (don't play this game if you're a dumbass) and generally never bettered. Get the boxed set with the ToB expansion of course for about 15 quid.

Beautiful 2d/isometric graphics... some really splendid maps.

Great characters, with personality

Moral dilemmas

Gripping story

Loads of freedom

Really, BG2 is a head above the rest.

Trust me.

-JAm
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 12, 2004, 18:46   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I agree with Jamski, BGII has the plot, the characters, the difficulty, the puzzles, the mental aspect, etc... It has everything that is typical of an RPG, while also being playable to someone who isn't an RPG fan. It's immersive and fun, and so while it may take a few days to get used to the way it's played, you'll want to continue. A wonderful game.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 12, 2004, 18:50   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
it may take a few days to get used to the way it's played
Rubbish - click somewhere to walk there, click on a friendly character to talk to them, click on an enemy to attack them. Not tricky controls at all. The rest is dialogue and inventory management (and finding out what all those spells and weapons might be good for)

-Jam
Old March 12, 2004, 19:30   #9
DrSpike
Deity

Jamski is winning so far with his eloquent recommendation. Anything that makes Jamski post more than 1 line must be good.

I'm still open to other points of view though.
Old March 12, 2004, 20:03   #10
Space05us
King

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
change your name back

and uh...go with Kotor, its easy to learn even if you're an are-pee-gee knewbee. I would have said Morrowind, but if you dont like rpgs you really really wont like it.
Old March 12, 2004, 20:27   #11
pg
Prince

i've only played morrowind out of those listed but isn't morrowind the only game that's a fps(or is kotor too?) and has massive exploration? morrowind is a bit light on the combat ends of things but there are always mods i guess.
Old March 12, 2004, 23:06   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:07
Any RPG that's based on D&D will be automatically relegated to second tier in my book. How lazy can you get?
Old March 12, 2004, 23:17   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

BG1

reason - its the only RPG ive played, and thus the only one i can recommend. It was fun though.

So if we make enough threads about wargames will you ask us for a wargame?
Old March 12, 2004, 23:39   #14
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

You are new to RPGs... so my pick would be KOTOR. If you like that, follow it with BG2. If you like that, the Fallout games are GREAT!

I've played all on your list except NWN.. didn't like the demo.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 12, 2004, 23:46   #15
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Morrowind is my new favorite game, I've been loving the GotY edition. I got it for thirty dollars and the single player experience is quite good. The combat isn't very good, but the fun of exploring the world and building my badass character has been a wild ride.

KOTOR has a more straight-forward story, and the cool light/dark side split. The combat is also a whole heck of a lot better, however the worlds aren't as immersive as in Morrowind. They aren't small, they're just not as massive.

BG II I haven't played, but I enjoyed Icewind Dale II, and that's supposed to be a lot like it. I've heard good things, I'll say that.

NWN is just not a competitor with any of the others for single player, at least not without the expansions. It's MP is fun though, and I highly recommonend it.
Old March 12, 2004, 23:48   #16
Tuberski

NWN, if only for the interesting Dungeon of Apolyton!

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 13, 2004, 00:04   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:07
Dungeon of Apolyton!
Old March 13, 2004, 00:32   #18
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Morrowind is my new favorite game
Morrowind is great, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone relatively new to RPGs.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 13, 2004, 00:50   #19
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:07
Since you are relatively new to rpgs, I would suggest BG1 or Morrowind.

BG1 (original Baldur's Gate) can be considered basic training for BG2. The game is simpler and will allow you to get used to controlling a party for BG2. It's also part one of the story. Taking a character from humble beginnings in Candlekeep all the way to to the end of Throne of Baal is a true epic.

If you've played games like Medieval Total War, the battle tactics are very similiar albeit on a much smaller scale.

Morrowind may take some getting used to with the DIY (do it yourself) magic system. However, once you pass that stage, the game can be a lot of fun. The original campaign can be a little easy above level 20, but the expansions are somewhat more difficult. Morrowind also has full day/night cycles complete with the sun and moons along with real weather.

One thing to consider before buying Morrowind is your computer system. This game needs quite a good system and even then doesn't get high framerates. The minimum cpu of p3-450 will barely function even with all detail settings at minimum.
Old March 13, 2004, 01:16   #20
Tuberski

My 450 functioned fine....with the sound of and running Morrowind in a window.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 13, 2004, 03:41   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Any RPG that's based on D&D will be automatically relegated to second tier in my book. How lazy can you get?
Lazy?

Because they don't want to create a game that's set in half-assed world featuring talking elephants and monkey-people? Baldur's Gate is a quality game - there's nothing lazy about it. And the Forgotten Realms is an excellent setting for any RPG.

That's what it is, you know. A setting. It's detailed enough that it can have hundreds of books, games, and anything else made around it and still be a consistent, immmersive, world.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 13, 2004, 04:06   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:07
KOTOR will be the best RPG for a beginner. It's not heavy on character management, but it is heavy on story, and role playing dialogue options.

If you try that and like it, then you may want to try BG2 and NWN, and even Morrorwind.
Old March 13, 2004, 04:10   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:07
NWN is the best game that I have played from that list. However...

You can probably guess how the rest of this post will go.
Old March 13, 2004, 04:11   #24
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Yeah BG2 is lazy .

Never, and I mean never, will you see a game with that much content again . They just don't seem to make games that large anymore (though Morrowind was fairly large). I was dissappointed in KOTOR. I did every single quest available and I still only got about 60 hours out of it. BG2 is just freakin' massive.

Last edited by Dis; March 13, 2004 at 04:20.
Old March 13, 2004, 04:14   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Neverwinter Nights is better as a multiplayer game.

But the single player game isn't too shabby. (though the original campaign is so-so- the expansions are much better). And there are still many downloadable single player modules. So if you have the ability to download, then this is worth a look.

But I don't recommend NWN for beginners.

My recommended order (assuming you like them): KOTOR (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic), BG1, BG2, Fallout 1 and 2 (if you don't mind adult content (language mainly)), and then NWN and Morrowind.

The reason I recommend KOTOR first, is because the rules are very easy to understand. Character creation is very easy (you can even have the computer automatically do it for you). The game looks similar to an action game (but it really is not).

The only bad thing about recommending that one first is it has the best graphics (except for Morrowind), so that may spoil you, and you might not like the isometric perspectives and 2D graphics of older games like BG1 and Fallout 1. But those games are worth a look, even if they don't look as sharp as new rpg's.

Last edited by Dis; March 13, 2004 at 04:21.
Old March 13, 2004, 04:44   #26
Space05us
King

Local Time: 07:07
Quote:
KOTOR will be the best RPG for a beginner. It's not heavy on character management, but it is heavy on story, and role playing dialogue options.
yeah, occasionaly what you say has an effect on your alignment but other than that you can just zoom through the game pressing any button during dialogue. real heavy.

Quote:
The reason I recommend KOTOR first, is because the rules are very easy to understand. Character creation is very easy (you can even have the computer automatically do it for you). The game looks similar to an action game (but it really is not).
what he said.
Old March 13, 2004, 05:05   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

FALLOUT
Old March 13, 2004, 07:08   #28
Jamski
Deity

A bit of an overview. All of these games will ask about 40-60 hours of you (at least) so its a desision to consider.

KOTOR :
  • Adapted (simplefied) D&D rules
  • Uses Bioware's Aurora 3d engine
  • Well known Star Wars setting
  • Play only as one character, with a companion.
  • "Roleplay Light" in terms of character's development.
  • Runs well on moderate systems.

BG2 :
  • Pretty full options of AD&D 2nd Edtion rules.
  • Huge world filled with interesting characters and places.
  • Uses Bioware's 2d isometric Infinity engine
  • Play with up to 6 characters, each with thier own personality.
  • Real tactical combat, with 6 characters + pets/summons/etc you have a lot of options.
  • Runs on any old box.
  • Should play BG1 first (not on your list though)

NWN :
  • Pretty close use of 3rd Edition D&D rules.
  • Uses Bioware's Aurora engine like KOTOR.
  • Only one character + a henchman.
  • Original campagaine long, but not so thrilling as a story.
  • Almost infinite replayblity with player-made modules.
  • Runs ok unless you have some Radeon cards, then it might stutter occasionally.
  • Some nice combat options.

Morrowind :
  • Newer version of the Daggerfall rules.
  • In-house 3d engine
  • Huge beautiful world to explore...
  • ...with noone in it.
  • No character interaction - single person party.
  • Runs dead slow even on a p4 and a 128meg card.
  • Poor combat.

-Jam
Old March 13, 2004, 07:27   #29
DrSpike
Deity

Ok it's down to KOTOR and BG2. If you chose one of the others you can get another +1 by jumping ship now.
Old March 13, 2004, 09:55   #30
Sandman
King

KOTOR is better. Can't really see what all the fuss is about with BG2. It's a good game, but not that good.