Old September 14, 2000, 19:04   #1
Apollo
Settler

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ok I just got a Civ2 multiplayer CD, now how do I find someone to play against??
Im a total newbie at civ2 multiplayer, just got it 1 hour ago, now what is the best way to find people to play against? Sounds pretty tedious to do it on this message board, specially since I live in Iceland and its about 5-8 hours after USA, and a few hours before the mainland of europe.

Isnt there a host like Kali or something where players meet easily?
Old September 14, 2000, 22:40   #2
Spider
Warlord

Yeah, it's hard to get a game going just using this board. Everyone here uses ICQ to make things much easier.

The other thing you could do is sign up for the Microsoft gaming Zone. I've never done that myself, but I hear there are games going on there.

There's also the HS-Gameleague forum here. Again, I've never used it, but others do, and it should make it easier to find a match.

No matter what, ICQ is just about a prerequisite. There are, quite often, connection problems, and ICQ is used to iron them out, among other things.

Good Luck! Hope to play you soon.
Old September 14, 2000, 23:17   #3
Alexander's Horse

If you want to play with anyone here, you have to be really really nice to people to get a game and then promise not to take all the happy wonders once playing. In fact until you lose your newbie status, which we decide, not you, you are not allowed to build any happy wonders. Also, you have to call everyone "sir" or "maam" when addressing them on "chat with Kings" during a game, and you are only allowed to speak when spoken to.

------------------
Founder of the People's Republic of Topics (PROT)
Convenor, Threadjacking Appreciation Society (TAS)
Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Old September 14, 2000, 23:27   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:05
AH... HA HA HA HA! Well done

Just get ICQ from icq.com
It's free, and most of us use it to set up games.
Old September 15, 2000, 00:41   #5
Spider
Warlord

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: "Play with Australians at your own risk."
Old September 15, 2000, 04:53   #6
kengel
Prince

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I confirm, ICQ is a most helpful tool to find a game (at least to start them ).

I just started a thread with useful information, just have a look here: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001768.html

------------------
greets from the Warrior of sky
Old September 15, 2000, 08:40   #7
Alexander's Horse

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention, you also have to

Bow Down 2 Horse!

Everybody does

------------------
Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Old September 15, 2000, 08:51   #8
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Everybody rides the Horse.
Old September 15, 2000, 10:37   #9
Apollo
Settler

Ok newbie question: What is "hotseat" game? How can I make an open game where people can join even once its started?
Old September 15, 2000, 11:24   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

A hotseat game is one that is played on just one computer, with people taking turns on the same machine.

As to your second question... when you are setting up the game, one of the "game options" is to have an open game... ie, one where people can join in at any time as long as there is an available civ. A closed game is just the opposite. However, I would recommend that any game you play be an open game. Many times, somebody will drop from the game due to technical problems. If it is an open game, they can just try to get back in.
If not, everybody has to back out, and you have to start again from your last save.

Good luck.
Old September 15, 2000, 21:12   #11
Apollo
Settler

Neutron go to www.zone.com thats the easiest place to find civ2 players and get a game going fast I think. The only problem is the games can get pretty long, and its hard finding the same players there again to continue the save game...so if you dont have ALOT of spare time on your hands its best to just play with few ppl and on a small map. If you want longer games then this is the place to find people, or on icq, since the game will prolly take a week to finish (if you have a life that is :P)
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Apollo (edited September 15, 2000).]</font>
Old September 15, 2000, 21:43   #12
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Oh Horse, you are so utterly shameless! On the other paw, that was Great! I'm still laughing... *s*

Apollo - You're in the right place to find a multiplayer game. You just have to watch out for people like old Horse...

There are 3 places to find games. One is MSN Zone. It a bit of a madhouse, and I don't really recommend it. They start games and then disappear on you. It can be quite frustrating. Still, some people enjoy it there.

A second place is GameLeague. It is a bit organized and there are ratings kept. You might find that worthwhile. There is also a game ladder there.

The 3rd place is right here in Apolyton Multiplaying forum. Look for the "Setting Up Games" threads. You can often find people ready to play at the same time you are.

Most people use ICQ software to keep in touch during a game. It is separate from Apolyton, like email is. But it gives instant messaging when things get disconnected and is very useful. It also allows group chat for setting up a game when you find people ready to play. I'm sure you can find it at ICQ.com, just download whatever version is offerred; I don't know the newest one, but different version tend to work OK with each other.

Last note. When I started here, several players helped me learn how it worked; short practice games and all that. If I am around when you are, I'll be happy to pass that tradition along.

Get ICQ and my number is 37552809...
Old September 15, 2000, 23:06   #13
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:05
Another option is GameRanger.com which is a Macintosh site but a PC-user might also be able to access it. While I'm not impressed by the people who I have played against there, it is easy to START a game; finishing is another matter all together. BTW, Mac-users and PC-users can easily play together/against each other as long as they both have the current game patches (both available from the ACS Database or the respective software companies MacSoft and Microprose). Smash had a recent thread linking to both patches.

I started a "Open Player Game" especially for newbies a couple of weeks ago (see thread by that name in this Forum) which plays on Tuesday and Thursday nights (with the exception of Cub Scout and other kid relate interuptions ). You are welcome to join that as your time permits. Also like Cavebear, I too would be willing to play a "short" game to help you understand how to set it up. Send me an e-mail or ICQ (if you can catch me!).

Good luck and welcome!

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old September 15, 2000, 23:29   #14
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
Hey Apollo - it turned up okay, did it?

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old September 16, 2000, 00:03   #15
Mr_Neutron
Settler

Apollo

I am a newbie as well and would love to get into a multi-player game. As soon as you figure out the best way to do it let me know and I will play.
Old September 16, 2000, 06:42   #16
Alexander's Horse

Sometimes I wish I had the knack some of you have for being helpful

But usually not

------------------

Old September 16, 2000, 15:15   #17
Apollo
Settler

Yep thanks a bunch finbar!
Old September 17, 2000, 22:05   #18
Mercantile
Settler

i would like to play someone as i am a newbie as well..... can anyone show me the ropes

------------------
Do you wish to trade blows or goods? I offer both.
Old September 18, 2000, 00:12   #19
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:05
Mercantile and any others: check out the <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001720.html?date=00:08">Open Player Game</A> thread.

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old September 18, 2000, 00:46   #20
Mercantile
Settler

MacUser, i saw your post and i hope tuesday it is , if i cannot find another game before then at any rate, thanks for the kind words and i hope to engage some serious trading partners

------------------
Do you wish to trade blows or goods? I offer both.