Old March 15, 2004, 16:26   #1
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No Hall of fame thread here?
How come? I noticed the Civ3 one earlier and thought DC was still organising. But there are threads in various on topic forums and the off topic forum. Surely this forum should get one (it is the community forum after all), and maybe even Other Games since it is quite active at present.
Old March 15, 2004, 16:49   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
You can vote in anyone of them, so it is not really a big deal, is it?
Old March 15, 2004, 17:01   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 14:15
Well some think it is a big deal... and that it skews voting toward certain areas of the community.. like Civ 3
Old March 15, 2004, 17:06   #4
DrSpike
Deity

Well after your choice words last time (hint - one of them was quite unpleasant ) I see Civ2 got a thread straight off. Obviously it's best not to favour one forum over another anyway, but this is the community forum. It should appear here first!
Old March 15, 2004, 17:45   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 22:15
Well, not many Civ 3 players have been voted in yet, have they?
Old March 15, 2004, 17:54   #6
DrSpike
Deity

Is that an argument for posting it there and not here?
Old March 15, 2004, 18:01   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

I'm not providing arguments for not posting here . But it should also be noted that the majority of people who visit this forum also frequent the OTF, while many hardcore Civ 3 players would be very likely to miss the HoF altogether if it wasn't posted in the Civ 3 section.
Old March 15, 2004, 18:14   #8
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I doubt there is anyone who posts exclusively in the Community. If they did then they don't really warrant being voted for.
Old March 15, 2004, 19:13   #9
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Solver is absolutely correct. Most of the "hardcore" Civ3 players probably do not visit either the OTF or this forum. He is also correct to point out that exceedingly few Civ3 players have been added to the Hall of Fame.
Old March 15, 2004, 20:23   #10
Solver
lifer
Deity

Hehe Arnelos it seems though that DG people know about HoF . Trip was inducted, after all, as well.

While I may be somewhat of a DG skeptic, I have to admit that the DG game presidents and originators are often better known than Civ3 players. Although I have been reading the Civ 3 strategy forum regularly since the game came out, so I believe I know quite some players.... many of whom deserve their place in the HoF for the outstanding insight they provide about the game.
Old March 15, 2004, 21:34   #11
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
At least this way, all of us in the OT don't get +1s for our votes...

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old March 15, 2004, 23:21   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:15
Well Dr. Spike- no one (maybe 1 person) voted in here last time I stuck it in the community section, and as Arnelos and Big Crunch noted, very few people view the community section alone

Also, as to why posting in the civ III section in both the Civ III general and Civ III Democracy Game section- the civ III community is larger and more scattered than the Civ II community- one thread suits the Civ II community, two are needed for the Civ III one.

(although as a side note- I'm adding another section to the Civ III stories community today... in addition to one in the Other Games that I just opened [as planned- I ran out of time yesterday] and one in CTP I [against my better judgement, but since I put one in Civ II and Civ III...])

And as for this being slanted to Civ III... just ask yourself- who has been registered longer? Civ IIIers or Civ IIers? The amount of votes for people registered pre 2001 really helps the older posters get elected.

In fact, posters such as Arnelos, Dominae, Catt, Alexman, etc. have consistently mounted offenses that would have gotten them elected had everyone's vote counted for the same amount.

However, due to the very fair voting points system, there really is no worry about the Civ IIIers being at an advantage- because although there are more of them, their votes are worth less

And also, to back up Solver's statement about there not being many Civ IIIers in the hall- out of 57 members, I can list...

December 2003 Ixnay
December 2003 notyoueither
May 2003 Trip

*That's not too many people for a 2-3 year old game
So I don't really see the harm in these Civ III threads and I don't really think that they skew data that much

*Most of the people in the hall are either Civ IIers or OTers

And, if I must *sigh* I will post it here. (No matter what else it does, it'll help my post count ... so I suppose it can't all be bad )
Old March 16, 2004, 00:17   #13
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Re: No Hall of fame thread here?
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
How come? I noticed the Civ3 one earlier and thought DC was still organising. But there are threads in various on topic forums and the off topic forum. Surely this forum should get one (it is the community forum after all), and maybe even Other Games since it is quite active at present.

Tis here now:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=110789
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 16, 2004, 00:32   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I doubt there is anyone who posts exclusively in the Community. If they did then they don't really warrant being voted for.
Did you just say DanQ doesn't belong in the HoF?
Old March 16, 2004, 00:35   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Re: No Hall of fame thread here?
edit: DP
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 16, 2004, 03:57   #16
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Hehe Arnelos it seems though that DG people know about HoF . Trip was inducted, after all, as well.

While I may be somewhat of a DG skeptic, I have to admit that the DG game presidents and originators are often better known than Civ3 players. Although I have been reading the Civ 3 strategy forum regularly since the game came out, so I believe I know quite some players.... many of whom deserve their place in the HoF for the outstanding insight they provide about the game.
Well, I just voted for Dominae, so I certainly don't disagree. It think alexman should get in as well.
Old March 16, 2004, 04:00   #17
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
In fact, posters such as Arnelos, Dominae, Catt, Alexman, etc. have consistently mounted offenses that would have gotten them elected had everyone's vote counted for the same amount.
That reminds me of something. How much do you divide the votes by each time for the next round, 'cause I only have 2 now after having quite a lot more at one point I thought (not that I particularly need to get in... there are people FAR more deserving than me in the Civ3 community).
Old March 16, 2004, 06:23   #18
DrSpike
Deity

Um, case closed!

/me casts the spell of mod summoning.
Old March 16, 2004, 06:56   #19
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 05:15
for the sake of fairnes, why not just post it in every forum !!! simple answer !!!!

case closed

TOAST
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 16, 2004, 08:19   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:15
Doc rolls a 1 - critical failure.
Old March 16, 2004, 08:31   #21
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Did you just say DanQ doesn't belong in the HoF?
Who?
Old March 16, 2004, 08:53   #22
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
Um, case closed!

* Doc casts the spell of mod summoning.
Good Morning