Old March 16, 2004, 17:51   #1
Skog
Settler

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
United Nations
Probably this is mentioned somewhere in the forums, but the search did not work...

*How often is the election of the UN secretary general held??? (I am playing Civ3 v1.29 on emperor, I think)

I built it 12 turns ago, and the first election was indecisive. And now I have been making best friends with 8 other civs (12 total left in game incl. me), so I am hoping for 9 votes next time incl mine.

And another related question:

*What does it take in order for an AI civ to vote for me instead of abstaining their votes?

Now I have mutual protection pacts and/or military alliances with 8 civs against the remaining 3, whereof one is the other candidate in the election (France). All of my friends are now gracious towards me, and I have been giving away almost my entire tech lead.... (mostly as payment for the alliances...)

Do you think this will do it? (OK, I'll find out tomorrow night if it does, otherwise I'm in big trouble... because now all of my "friends" are potent slayers that can turn agains me in no time...)
Old March 16, 2004, 18:43   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:18
If you're not certain they will vote for ( IE if they don't like you which is expected on emperor), don't hold a vote !!!

-
IIRC it's every 20 turns but don't quote me on that as I have never seen it in action. Never had a game that lasted that long, except maybe a few in which I made I build it myself.
Old March 16, 2004, 21:56   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
If you have MPP's with many civs, find one that you can go to war with and have them attack a unit. Now all your MPP's will declare war on that civ and vote for you (probably).
Old March 17, 2004, 02:49   #4
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
You can also put off the vote and you will be given the chance to call a vote every 5 turns.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:18   #5
Skog
Settler

Local Time: 20:18
Thank you for the info Fistleaf and alva. I was quite certain it was every 5 turns last time I built the UN, but that must have been when I was not holding the elections.
Since I held an election to check the standings 12 turns ago, this means that I'll have to wait another 8 turns till the next chance. Now that's bad news for my civ... I just wanted to skip turns and get a swift end of the world carnage that's going on right now...

I hope that my enemy in the election will survive for another 8 turns. Otherwise, there might be another candidate which the AI civs prefer to me... I must not let that happen, I'll have better send lots of peace keeping Mech Infs to my enemies territory asap
Old March 18, 2004, 03:12   #6
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I would be very surprised if it's 20 turns. I think 5 is more like it, from memory.

If your 8 friends are gracious towards you and are mostly in MA's against the other candidate as you say, the odds will be pretty good that they'll vote for you.

Do it!!!