Old March 17, 2004, 10:46   #1
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Terrain type to build a city on
I don't see this being mentioned in any strategy guide before.
In civ2, I always build my city on grassland because of the free irrigation, providing 3 food on the square.
In civ3, it seems that all terrain provides the same 2 food, so if possible try to build on bad terrain like tundra or desert (provided nearby squares are not all bad terrain). Building on a hill for defensive benefit is also alright but you miss out on the shields.
I haven't checked but maybe this is only true for Despotism due to the food/shield/commerce limitation.
Fistleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 11:49   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I try to avoid founding on bonus food tiles, and bonus grassland.

Bonus food tiles are really the ones to avoid (except, IMO, floodplains, since those just aren't THAT good), since IIRC the best the city tile can do (unless you're Agricultural) is 2 food per turn.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 12:16   #3
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:20
Found on the worst tile in your "site range", that is that will accomplish what you want to do with the city placement. As Arrian says, don't worry about floodplains, as founding next to a river is far more beneficial than losing that food is detrimental, and especially since floodplains usually travel together, meaning there will be others you can work for extra food.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Solomwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 21:51   #4
Rellin
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:20
I don't like to settle near flood plains cause of disease.
Rellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 22:37   #5
anarchie
Chieftain

Well, OUR sickly, diseased peoples are churning out one worker every two turns. However, if you care enough for the health and well-being of your populace, that's your playing style and I commend you for it.
anarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 23:55   #6
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
Quote:
Originally posted by anarchie
Well, OUR sickly, diseased peoples are churning out one worker every two turns. However, if you care enough for the health and well-being of your populace, that's your playing style and I commend you for it.

....and I bet your favoured government is fascism!
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 01:57   #7
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Lol, anarchie. Rellin, I used to think that way, too, but unless I'm mistaken, disease is a threat with floodplain anywhere in the city radius, not just if the city site is floodplain (this is assuming it's the same model as for jungle, and that I haven't misunderstood the jungle model). Floodplains are too good to avoid entirely, so go ahead and knock the aqueduct off your list of worries.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old March 18, 2004, 08:22   #8
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Does anybody know the likelihood of disease killing citizens? It seems to occur on consecutive turns. Maybe only the citizens working the jungle/flood plain square will be affected?
What about military units dying of disease? Never seen that happen before.
Fistleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 10:26   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i saw a swordsman keel over once. he was fortified in a jungle in neutral territory (closing a bottleneck)
Old March 18, 2004, 11:50   #10
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fistleaf
Does anybody know the likelihood of disease killing citizens? It seems to occur on consecutive turns.
0.5% per turn chance of disease for every floodplains/jungle tile a city is working. Hits twice in a row if you have enough population.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 11:54   #11
Brundlefly
Prince

Certain civs should be allowed to settle on mountains. Latin America civs.
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 12:34   #12
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman

0.5% per turn chance of disease for every floodplains/jungle tile a city is working. Hits twice in a row if you have enough population.
I thought it might be based on which tiles got worked. Glad to see this confirmed.
- Doug Stanhope
Old March 18, 2004, 12:58   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

In all of the games I have played, I have seen maybe 3 units die in jungle tiles. I see pop in cities die from it.

My question is why do you still have disease after learning medicine? Do you need to have a hospitol to prevent it?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 13:00   #14
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

The tech you need is Sanitation. You should be all set after that.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 13:09   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Funny I cannot even place that tech. I just think of CivII. I guess I need to look again at the pedia, thanks.
Old March 18, 2004, 14:09   #16
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
It's the optional one after medicine that lets you build hospitals.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 17:22   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Been awhile since I researched it, just slipped out of my mind (like so many things).
Old March 19, 2004, 00:40   #18
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fistleaf

What about military units dying of disease? Never seen that happen before.
In a recent game I had an Infantryman in a Barricade on my jungle Coal resource die of disease. Admittedly he had been there for over a hundred years, so it was probably heart disease rather than malaria.

So yes, I can confirm it does happen.
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 02:15   #19
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

have seen militasry units dieing often in jumgles . and also seen the ai lose units to same dieseases
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 05:46   #20
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
I think they got the 'units die of disease' a bit wrong. I happens so rare that you will never plan for it, of the same reason it can be highly frustrating when it happens. I would rather have a general 'hostile terrain' flag which had a good change of knocking off the odd HP. (think, 20% change of taking 1 hp, 10% for taking 2hp)

In c3c hostile terrain should include jungle, marshes, desert and glaciers. Such terrain has alway been major obstacles to armies, now they are just another terrain.
Old March 19, 2004, 06:44   #21
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Funny I cannot even place that tech. I just think of CivII. I guess I need to look again at the pedia, thanks.
Sanitation is the tech you research when you have already won the game and pray that some of your citizen from the 35+ city would die as to lessen pollution...