Old March 17, 2004, 17:34   #61
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Okay.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:35   #62
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
I wasn't talking to you, you poor excuse for a commie!
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 17, 2004, 17:35   #63
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

B*tch, b*tch, b*tch.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:37   #64
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
AMERICA GIVE US MONEY WE NEED IT!

*waits and sees if we get it*

edit: I mean ME not US. I've been watching Amistad again.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:38   #65
DinoDoc
Deity

We'd have to invade first.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:39   #66
Yiff_Yiff_Yaoi
Settler

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

Believe it or not, the same survey shows that the US has an 80% positive image in Vietnam.
They probably just pity them because the Americans lost the war
Old March 17, 2004, 17:39   #67
DinoDoc
Deity

DL!
Old March 17, 2004, 17:41   #68
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Yeah but these polls ar not stupid - they have a day to day impact on peoples lives.
They might be inacurate just by ther very nature, but they do matter, or should matter.
How each country veiws one another should be of interest to all of us.

It means the difference of going down the shops - seeing a label from such and such country which makes you not buy the product, to becoming overcome with rage hate - you'll fly a plane into a building, or worse. And everything in between.

So it does matter - we just have to figure out a way to make everyone like each other more.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:45   #69
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
We'd have to invade first.
"The Mouse That Roared"

love that movie.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 17, 2004, 17:45   #70
Pekka
Emperor

child of Thor, I disagree. I just disagreed with everything you said.

We don't do that. Why should you? It works for us we know what people think of us (who knows us). That happens when you are actively interracting with them. You see what I mean? You see a poll, you see it says someone doesn't like you super, then you automatically don't like them either.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:50   #71
Japher
Emperor

Lets take a poll to see how many people are racist!

That won't do a damn thing, just show that racism is trendy and shic, or that racism is dead and that AA is a joke.

Not to make this about racism, though nationalism is along the same line, I just agree with Pekka that this poll is worthless. I do agree that problems need to be well defined in order to address the problem, but I don't think taking a poll that shows public opinion about hate is really all that useful, and is, in essence, not the problem.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:52   #72
Pekka
Emperor

And this is exactly what I meant earlier. This is what creates too much BS, unnecessary.

As for me, I don't really CARE what the Belgians think of our country as long as we're not enemies. The country relations are handled by others, business wise it matters who your partner is it's business, not popularity contest, they don't give a crap if they see 4 hippies hand in hand chanting crap, they care about their partner and the business.

Diplomatic relations are not based on polls and shouldn't be.

You can't even say that 'Germans don't like us' Do you know them? Well the poll says so, yeah BS warning right here.

Not liking some policy != hating a country. And the polls changes results every month anyway.

About enemies, there's not really need for a poll to see who the enemy is.

Polls like these are utter scheisse, they do more HARM than good. THESE polls CREATE stereotypes more than anything.

You said that you want to know what they think because it's important for example deciding if you buy the product or not. Well congratulations if you have a BS poll like this that is interpreted wrong in general audience like most likely it will be and you'd be boycotting something that is based on misinterpretations anyway. And why would you not buy if someone doesn't like you anyway? This is exactly what I mean that they do more harm than good and create stereotypes and general bullshit.

I feel strongly about it too. I mean you can always have polls, but I just think they're total BS.

edit: If I go to Russia, in some of the border villages they don't like us according to polls, but I don't care. If I'd go there, I see people as people, be it Russian people. NOT people who 'hates us according to 1998 December poll, better not buy anything'. I know this is NOT what you meant or said, but you get my point, I don't suck in these stereotypes.

One day Britney Spears is #1, second day it's someone else, but if you're allegedly hated, you always remember that, and not that the next month it was different, or someone else.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:53   #73
child of Thor
Emperor

Well Pekka - i just dont think it can be ignored, sure its stupid, but when its at a level that people will happily(i guess?) kill themselves, while taking as many of the 'evil enemy' with them as possible - it just doesnt seem an option to bury ones head in the sand and hope it all goes away?
These are issues i would want to take face on and try to resolve.

And polls from the public are important - in a democracy atleast its what you as a candidate will spend alot of time trying to work out, and shaping your policies to persuade voters to vote for you(and having consequences on foriegn policy if you win etc).

Not sure if this is so relevant outside of democracies

I just think we need to wake up in the west - be real world leaders and not encourage more events like in America and Spain.............
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Last edited by child of Thor; March 17, 2004 at 18:01.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:54   #74
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 12:20
If it's really true that the majority of Muslims support suicide bombings, then they shall also receive the corresponding treatment.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:57   #75
Pekka
Emperor

child of Thor, do you realistically, I mean really think that with Polls you stop terrorist attacks?

Military intelligence etc takes care of these situations, NOT polls. I would be very alarmed if intelligence reads these from papers and consider it as reliable source.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:58   #76
Pekka
Emperor

child of Thor, and no I didn't mean polls in general are stupid Just these kind of polls.. Polls in general are ok and useful!
Old March 17, 2004, 18:04   #77
Japher
Emperor

Just to clarify we are talking about "polls" and not "poles" or ppl from "Poland"... I just read the last three posts thinking about "Poland" and L'dMAO
Old March 17, 2004, 18:04   #78
child of Thor
Emperor

Ah ok i thought you meant the polls from the BBC site! i see now - no i dont want this to be a poll for America good/bad. More a discussion of the consequence of the data from such polls - and its relevence for all of us

Old March 17, 2004, 18:09   #79
Pekka
Emperor

And people think differently in the US, in Europe, in Asia.. everywhere they think differently and see different picture than you think you are giving them. It's not necessarily negative though!! But it's different.

People talk differently, Lost In Translation.

THey have different meanings, these polls are likely to to be interpreted differently, depends on the questions and what they're like, but when you read it you see something, when I read the same thing, I see it a little bit differently. Just a tiny bit, but it's a bit different.

You put this in a big soup, you got a mess. Polls like these are too difficult to set up to have them show any kind of potential real answers and opinions. And that's why they should be killed before they go to public.

When you think that there are tons of people that think you're a bad person just because you are some nationality, then that's not right.. blah I've done talking in this thread about what I mean. Either you guys get it, or you get me wrong, and I don't give a crap because I'm in a bad mood now.
Old March 17, 2004, 18:09   #80
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Nobody understands the Finn
Old March 17, 2004, 18:13   #81
Pekka
Emperor

chlid of Thor, you see?! here we talk about different things not realizing about it. I mean I could just hate you now for it. But I don't .
Old March 17, 2004, 18:13   #82
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Just to clarify we are talking about "polls" and not "poles" or ppl from "Poland"... I just read the last three posts thinking about "Poland" and L'dMAO
That reminds me of the Seinfeld with the Cubans.

Comrade, is a certain site down for you too?

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 17, 2004, 18:16   #83
Theben
Deity

Does anyone else read the title and think, Telly Savalas?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Last edited by Theben; March 18, 2004 at 09:54.
Old March 17, 2004, 18:16   #84
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

It is, love.
Love, download MSN Messenger and add danieljackson5000 at hotmail dot com to your list.
Old March 17, 2004, 19:14   #85
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

BTW Threabin -- it's "Telly" not Teddy. You call yourself an American?
---------
Trying to participate in this discussion reminds me of why I tend to stay away from the political side of Poly. Actual discussion of the article posted and responses to questions posed by the thread originator are instantly lost in a sea of yipping egos.

I guess it's too much to expect ppl to stay on topic in the Off Topic... What was I thinking?
Y'all have fun...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 18, 2004, 03:34   #86
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
USA!

Who's got the original pic?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	britneyusa.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	67466  

Mis Novias
Old March 18, 2004, 04:02   #87
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

that pic reminds me of that flash movie
John B's song, american girls

"I really like american girls.
They take off their shirts for the video"

or something like that.
Old March 18, 2004, 04:43   #88
Heavy and Happy
Settler

I love the USA and especially USA sluts.

Everyone loves Finland though. What's not to like?
Old March 18, 2004, 05:07   #89
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:20
The fact they intend to be our evil overlord by stealing lakes, for once.
Old March 18, 2004, 05:08   #90
Nubclear

Pikku G