Old March 18, 2004, 05:28   #1
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Naval Clash (turn tracking)
Naval Clash - PBEM game
SMACX v2.0
Code:
Factions:

Pirates		GMT-5	Sankis	   xxshadorapt2@aol.com
Angels		GMT-8	DataAeolus xxaeolusdata@yahoo.com
Atlants		GMT+1	GeoModder  xxgeomodder@hotmail.com
University	GMT+1	Rubin	   xxrubin_datalinks@hotmail.com
Gaians		AI
Peacekeepers	AI
Hive		AI

CMN		GMT-7	Mart7x5	   xxmarcin777@hotmail.com

Map size	|	Standard
Ocean		|	50-70
Erosion		|	Weak	
Life		|	Aver
Clouds		|	Aver
Difficulty	|	Transc.

Transcend	|	Yes
Diplomatic	|	Yes
Economic	|	Yes
Cooperative	|	Yes
Do or Die	|	No	
Flexible start	|	Yes
Tech stag	|	No	
Spoils of war	|	No
Blind research	|	No
Intense riv	|	Yes
No survey	|	Yes
No scatter	|	No
No rnd events	|	No
Time Warp	|	No
Iron man	|	No
Rand person	|	No
Rand social	|	No
The scenario:
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...NavalClash.zip

Installation instructions. Please unzip "Naval Clash.zip" to SMAX scenario folder. Follow instructions in "readme_naval_clash_scenario.txt" file in the attached scenario zip file. An example of the scenario folder path is:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\scenarios\Naval Clash
*Please remember though that your root directory:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
may be completely different, what should not have any effect on finding the right folder, as terranx.exe should "get the start path" always when entering "scenario" folder

Rules:
attached as html file, soon to be updated though....
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...ClashRules.zip

Signup thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=110241

Last edited by mart7x5; March 18, 2004 at 12:09.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 05:45   #2
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 1)

Sounds of working cryo machinery and voices of engineers operating in cryobay before "Unity" launch somehow got into her dream. She knew it was a dream. Void of space surrounded her, but she was without a spacesuit and yet she was alive. It must have been a dream. However, there was something more, something annoying. Something which was not there when she was falling asleep in a cryocell. Her body stiffened as if some unknown stimulus caused her muscles to strain. She wanted to examine her body, but she could not move her head. Sudden feeling of fear warmed her for a short moment. Was she in danger? Was she dying? That annoying thing... sound. Yes, it was a sound, unpleasant and drawing attention. She was awakening. Consciousness was returning. It was the end of cryosleep and "Unity" must have been entering Alpha Centauri star system.

Space around her became grey. Then shapes started to appear. It took her maybe five minutes or more before she could recognize the cryobay 4 through upper cover of the cryocell, partially covered with condensation moisture. Her home or maybe bedroom for the last several decades. She could move now. The touch of cryocell wall was warm. Warmer than the stasis fluid in which she was sleeping. Suddenly the upper cover moved slightly and the fluid started to escape downwards behind her back. Darn! That moment was coming. She had to spit from her lungs the fluid too. She tried to lay on her side. The pain lasted for several long breaths. She could not stand up, so just rolled over the edge of the cryocell onto the floor. It was warm the same as the cryocell. The sound, what was that sound? Alert! Not everything went without problems.

She looked around. None of other cells were opened. Next to her right hand there was a commpanel. She touched it. The dark screen lit with blue letters.

Unity COMM System is Online.
Please touch the ID panel for identification
>

She did that.

Welcome Colonel Santiago.
FIRST PRIORITY MESSAGE
=Impact Detected
=Severe damage to ship's systems:
=>Fusion Drive
=>Fusion Drive Shield
=>Bridge
=>Cryobay 1
=>Cryobay 5
=>Cryobay 6
=>Shield Module 3
=>Service Module 2
=>Service Module 7
=>Hydroponics 2
=>Landing Module 3
=>Landing Module 4
=Auto wakeup emergency staff
=Fusion Drive Shutdown
=Emergency Power Operational

"Aaa...". She tried to ask a question, but she was capable of nothing more than a weak moan. It was so much easier to type, though her fingers were aching.

fi
>

She activated flight information

posd
>
93.2 astronomical units from Alpha Centauri star. 17 degrees north.

They were almost there. It was great relief.

ccs
>
Captain Garland-------------Cryobay 1 - dead
Commander Sheng-ji Yang---Cryobay 2 - normal
Commander Lt. Sankis-------Cryobay 3 - normal
Colonel Santiago------------Cryobay 4 - normal
Commisioner Lal-------------Cryobay 5 - critical
Director Morgan-------------Cryobay 6 - dead
Doctor Rubin----------------Cryobay 7 - normal

Garland and Morgan were dead. Yang was ok. According to procedures he was the commanding officer now. Lal was alive but "critical" indicated that his life might end at any moment. Santiago felt cold. Her cryocell was heated as well as the floor around it, but the whole bay was still in "sleep" mode. She reached to the drawer. A towel and a uniform. She used the towel to clean her naked body from the remaining stasis fluid and dressed herself with the uniform. There was also a head comm unit in the drawer. She put it on.

"...Yang...". She started. A silent beep confirmed sending a call, but there was no answer.

"...Yang?"

She returned to commpanel.

si
>
comm
>
Core Communication operational
Communication failure in damaged systems:
=>Cryobay 1
=>Cryobay 5

Yang should receive, maybe he was too lazy to get up and was still floating... She allowed herself for this sarcastic thought. Yang was first to report for duty. To the point of almost obsession. She had to admit, that was making her sometimes look less responsible. Yang did not like her, he was saying that she was giving too much freedom to her subordinates.

fi
>
deta
>
Unable to calculate

That was not OK.

spe
>
0.1027c - 93.4%

A thousand needles pierced her body. Now she could feel fear. The ship did not slow down. The damage to the fusion drive must have occured before deceleration was completed. It hardly even started. If they would not be successful with reinitiation of deceleration, in several days they would pass by Alpha Centauri star. Drifting in space eventually power supplies would be exhausted. All systems would fail. They would suffocate or starve to death. Those more lucky would die in their cryosleep not properly awaken after power failure.

to be continued...
Old March 18, 2004, 07:43   #3
Mart
Emperor

Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 2)

The very first thing Sheng-Ji Yang did after he woke up into alert sound in cryobay 2 was checking the flight, crew and ship's status. He was stunned. How that might happen?! They were well protected! He had countless conversations with engineering corps people. They assured him thousands of times, that practically anything bad that could happen on their way to Alpha Centauri was foreseen and appropriate measures were taken to make that not happen. The mission was probably now under his command. Probably, because Yang refused to accept Captain Garland's death based on the info of ship's computer. It might be mulfunctioning after the collision. Back on Earth he made many attempts which were supposed to make the mission entrusted to his command but all was in vain. He was offered First Officer. He was not happy now. He felt like a boy who gets a toy to play last. Toy which is already damaged, used by all and no longer popular.

He almost missed a call. A beep... but from where? It beeped again. Ah, a drawer. Yang opened it and took out the uniform. A towel and a head comm unit. How to operate that damn thing!? It was so difficult to remember some things after cryosleep. Several decades in the cryocell did terrible damage to his body. He glanced quickly at his reflection on the cell lid. Although that was not a fancy mirror, he could see his shaking, extremely lean body and grey skin. He hardly recognised himself. Drying stasis fluid became sticky, so he made use of the towel and put on the uniform. Yes, he could remember now how to return a call using head comm.

"Santiago here". A very well known voice of his not so much liked comrade. Her calm voice made him suddenly more confident. Something strange happened, he felt a spark of sympathy for that young girl.

"Yang here" replied. "The computer says you are alright. Is that true?"

"Yes" Santiago answered.

"What can you see about Garland?"

"Garland and Morgan are dead, Lal critical"

"We have to stop the ship"

"I know"

to be continued...
Old March 18, 2004, 11:39   #4
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:22
Files copied and everything's set up.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:15   #5
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Downloaded.

Mart, a question, do you plan to add something to the intro story till planetfall, or do we take over from now.

I guess my faction transforms somehow out of the Spartans , but I would love to see Santiago land on the surface...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
GeoModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 12:33   #6
Mart
Emperor

I would like to write the story till planetfall - it is just seem to be turning out quite long... but i should have it very soon, maybe less than a day. Pm or email me your ideas for Santiago and Elevea, if you wish. I kinda was about to make Santiago survive, though she wouldn't have her faction on planet. What relationship is there between Santiago and Elevea? Queen is head of some new sea nation as I presume? How has she got included in the Unity crew?
I made Morgan dead already....
=========
Anyway, if anyone wishes to contribute to the events before planetfall, please, you are welcome to do so. However, this is one ship - so as CMN i will coordinate it all. After planetfall everyone takes over the appropriate faction/character.
i hope you see this an ok arrangement

Last edited by mart7x5; March 18, 2004 at 12:43.
Old March 18, 2004, 13:58   #7
Mart
Emperor

I think of Mirriam making a sacrifice from her life in order to save the mission. Unless someone would be happy having her on the planet. The same with Morgan - so far only the computer says he is dead.....
Old March 18, 2004, 16:45   #8
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:22
Pirates 2101 done. Datal Angels save sent.

(I'll hold out writing any RP stories until you're done, Mart.)

(Also, this is my first PBEM game, but I think i did everything right.. )
Sankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 18:46   #9
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Not like you can do many things wrong the first turn, Sankis

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 18, 2004, 18:52   #10
Barinthus
King

Santiago become Elevria's love slave... ha just kidding.

If I recall correctly, Angels branched from Morganites so maybe in Morgan's absence, a radical named Aeolus rose and took over the survivors?
Old March 18, 2004, 19:30   #11
Barinthus
King

Queen, it is your turn.
Old March 18, 2004, 20:41   #12
GeoModder
Deity

Queen Elevea, my lovely partner, and I, King Geo, have decided to abandon this place of turmoil and destruction and find a new and wonderfull place under the waves.

Doctor Rubin, if you please... the year is 2101.

O yes, next turn can be played the soonest tomorrow evening

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 19, 2004, 02:13   #13
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

2102 passed to Captain Sankis.

However, I'd like a restart for two reasons:

1) The difficulty level that I am playing at is LIBRARIAN. This is a known problem when setting up PBEMs. Sankis is currently the only one playing on TRANSCEND difficulty.

2) I have an extra technology researched--in addition to the University's free technology. If this is not intentional, I'd rather restart.

We can use the same map and starting locations--no problem.
Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 12:38   #14
Barinthus
King

I have no problem with restarting.
Old March 19, 2004, 13:52   #15
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubin
However, I'd like a restart for two reasons:

1) The difficulty level that I am playing at is LIBRARIAN. This is a known problem when setting up PBEMs. Sankis is currently the only one playing on TRANSCEND difficulty.

2) I have an extra technology researched--in addition to the University's free technology. If this is not intentional, I'd rather restart.

We can use the same map and starting locations--no problem.
I'm fine with restarting, too. I don't understand the first problem though, did I do something wrong?

Also, about the 4 reloads..I'm assuming its because I first tried to load the map in load game, then scenario(twice), before I remembered there was a multiplayer button Sorry.
Old March 19, 2004, 14:40   #16
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
O yes, next turn can be played the soonest tomorrow evening
Were you protesting with Greenpeace?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubin
Ah, I've encountered this problem myself in scenarios I made. Do you know what causes it, and how it can be avoided?
Old March 19, 2004, 15:47   #17
Mart
Emperor

We will restart the game. I have the following proposition:

I will set up your first turn the way you did it:
-creation of cities
-units' movement
-bonuses uncovered
-mindworm fights as much as will be able to simulate fight results - if any of you had an encounter...
- other things...

Exceptions:
-Tech choices, some of you may have problems with techs, like not being able to select some technologies.

If all of you agree for this arrangement, please email me:

1) what details you remember from your first turn, I can find out most facts from the save file anyway, but just to be sure

2) your remarks about technologies

3) the end of turn 2101, Rubin or Sankis if you could send it to me.

Then Sankis you will start playing turn 2102
Old March 19, 2004, 15:54   #18
Rubin
staff

mart7x5, why not simply start from 2101 again?
Old March 19, 2004, 17:21   #19
Mart
Emperor

we can start again, but i thought that you might like your first turn - uncovered bonuses and such.... we can start 2101 if you wish
Old March 19, 2004, 18:02   #20
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Were you protesting with Greenpeace?
Didn't you recognize me on the VRT news? I was standing several meters behind the fat interviewed guy (near the crane).

As for Mart7x5.

It doesn't matter to me if we start anew or from this turn. The game is not that far that it matters IMO.

So let the game begin... (take 2, cut 1)

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 20, 2004, 12:25   #21
GeoModder
Deity

Sankis, you're beginning anew, or not home this weekend?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 20, 2004, 13:15   #22
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

I'm here, don't worry. Yeah, i'll begin anew.
Old March 20, 2004, 13:26   #23
Rubin
staff

Eh, has the 'new' setup arrived from mart7x5? The 'original' setup was faulty and we need the new 2101 save from mart7x5. (I'm just a little confused right now)
Old March 20, 2004, 14:42   #24
Mart
Emperor

The new setup is in preparation, just a bit more time....
Old March 22, 2004, 21:25   #25
Mart
Emperor

Turn 2101 _corrected to Sankis, sorry for the weekend delay...
Old March 22, 2004, 21:39   #26
Mart
Emperor

Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 3)

The bridge was damaged. Sankis decided to use auxiliary command room 2, which was in the closest distance from cryobay 3. Before he left the cryobay he checked the status of modules leading there. Air was in each one he needed, but Sankis dressed in a vacuumsuit. It took him less than ten minutes to get there. Everything was in perfect order in the command room. Auxiliary computer started to work quickly and he had landing solution within a minute.

“Yang, this is Sankis”

"Yang here, Sankis, where are you?

“I’m in the command room 2. It’s in good condition, I think we may transfer command to here. I have the landing solution” Sankis replied.

"Perfect!” Yang was glad. "We have a landing solution! …On Chiron?

Sankis smiled to himself.
“Yes, where else?” he replied “However, we will need to go for emergency deceleration. The computer says the main drive is damaged. I have no indication if it can be reinitiated or repaired or else. We cannot use emergency drive for that.”

"I am still on my way to the engineering room. Will you be able to report here as soon as possible? …Wait. You have to keep the bridge post. I will revive Aeolus. Transfer the command there and wait for my further instructions. How much time do we have to restart the drive?

Sankis imagined how Yang would be pissed off when hearing his answer.

“For acceptable deceleration and best Chiron orbit twelve hours and seventeen minutes. Provided the drive will operate normally during deceleration. Any minute later will increase necessary deceleration above the theoretical safety limit. We could also decelerate safely and go for long return orbit, but excessive maneuvers might turn out not to be the best option.”

Santiago reached cryobay 5, the only one damaged but not decompressed. She checked the local diagnostic system. The only problem with cryobay 5 was failure of emergency power, which did not start after the fusion drive shutdown. Tertiary system did start, but secondary and primary emergency power was not responding for some reason. Half of the cryocells were operating on the lowest necessary power limit, another half were not stabilized and people inside were slowly dying.

“Sankis, when do you ignite auxiliary drive? We can save some lives here. I cannot turn on emergency power.”

"In two minutes you should receive the auxiliary drive power

Miriam did not know about the problems “Unity” had until she got out from the cryocell. She was surprised that almost all other cells were still closed except one, several rows from her, which was already empty and no one was around. Yes, she realized now, the alert. She has heard the alert sound by now. Something went wrong. It was difficult to concentrate after cryosleep, but she remembered the drill preparing her for emergency wakeups. She checked the commpanel.

Welcome Officer Miriam Godwinson.
FIRST PRIORITY MESSAGE
=Impact Detected
…..
=Emergency Power Operational
=Engineer Godwinson=
=Report to Engineering Room

She was a backup engineer. If she was called to the Engineering, that could mean only a really serious problem.

to be continued...
Old March 22, 2004, 22:02   #27
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Pirates year 2101 done, Angels sent!

Note: If the file is corrupt or not working properly, please tell me and i'll resave it. The game crashed as I hit save.
Old March 22, 2004, 23:23   #28
Mart
Emperor

Game always quits after multiplayer save, as far as i recall. it may seem like crash
Old March 22, 2004, 23:32   #29
Mart
Emperor

Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 4)

Aeolus tightened the helmet lock and checked his suit for leaks. When green light on the suit systems panel lit green, he turned to Yang.

“I’ll need several minutes to get to Engineering”

Yang nodded and handed Aeolus a mobile terminal.

“Do not loose commlink with me, and do not waste time”

They stood in front of the hatch to sluice next to emergency door which shut closed during engineering section decompression. Yang opened the hatch and Aeolus entered inside. He waited until “locked” light allowed him to open the emergency door. He connected the terminal to door panel. It worked.

“Yang, Aeolus. I have opened the door. I do not see any damage now. I will proceed to engineering now.”

Three minutes later he stood in front of the Engineering Room entrance. Door worked properly too. The interior looked undamaged. Aeolus connected his terminal to the Engineering Computer.

“Yang, Aeolus. I’m reading the main engineering system now.”

“What is the damage? Is it assessed?”

“Just a minute… well, we can say we are lucky. The only damage I see is fuel line. Reactor seems to be untouched. We can do reconnecting in less than a day.”

Yang was sweating both because working in a vacuumsuit was not convenient and because he knew by now that they will not succeed on time. He hesitated for a short moment, but then realized that he should ask everyone. He activated his headcomm.

“Yang to all. We will not be able to complete fusion drive restart on time for safe emergency deceleration. Options?”

It was several seconds of silence. In the engineering room everyone stopped working and was looking at him.

"We should be on time…. We may be…” The fusion technician Peugrov started but then doubted.

"How unsafe is unsafe?” asked Miriam.

“That is not an option. We must find better solution. I do not share your faith Miriam” replied Yang.

"We may jettison something” proposed Sankis. "That will reduce the stress on ship’s hull.

“Is there something that we do not need any longer?” Yang was skeptical. They already jettisoned unnecessary modules before the proper deceleration. Ship’s computer did it, when they all were sleeping in cryocells.

"Hydroponics, Some service modules… or one module. Well….some people are already dead. They will not breath or eat.

They were almost three hours behind the schedule. Yang turned the commlink:

“Sankis. Yang here. What is the current solution? We can restart in 15 minutes.”

I adjusted the orbit insertion, but we will still exceed the safe emergency deceleration limit. I think that with jettisoned modules the ship will hold. Anyway it’s our only hope. My calculations are for 22 minutes 50 seconds from now. Do you have coordinated time by now?

“Yes. Thank you Sankis. Proceed to cryobay, you know the time”

Yang turned to remaining crewmembers in engineering:

“Go to cryobay 4, Santiago is overlooking cryosleep. You have 22 minutes.”

All technicians and engineers revived earlier for performing the repair left, but Miriam and Yang did not move.

“Miriam, you heard my order!”. Yang did not like disobedience.

“You know you are much more needed in command than me in current ship’s state. I am better suited for overlooking the drive,” answered Miriam.

“Do not underestimate me Godwinson.”

“I will use emergency cryocell”

Yang was thinking for a moment. She was right, she was trained in fusion drive operation. She very well could stay here and watch over the reignition.

“You are right. See you, Miriam, good luck.” He turned back and left Engineering Room.

Santiago closed the cryocell lid. She watched Yang going through fill-up, the most unpleasant stage of going to cryosleep. She checked the cryocell panel for stabilization conformation. Yang had already closed eyes. The deep sleep stage was initiated and the cell was working properly. That was all she could do. She checked time, not much left! Not enough to start regular cryosleep, she had to use emergency cryocell. Quick! She run as fast as she could. It started, little shaking and then she felt increasing g force. Maybe 1.5 now.

Santiago reached the cryocell. She took out the uniform, two seconds lost, but cryosleep should be naked. Maybe 2.5 g now. Finally she entered the cell and closed the lid, it was safe now. Mouthpiece was even pleasant in touch. She pushed the button under her palm. Injection of stasis fluid through her throat was very unpleasant, she tried not to oppose it when it was filling up her lungs. One could breathe with it, but there was no way to avoid the initial sensation of suffocation.

to be continued...

Last edited by mart7x5; March 22, 2004 at 23:44.
Old March 23, 2004, 00:25   #30
Mart
Emperor

Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 5)

Yang was very impatient. He reached to the commpanel as soon as he left the cryocell. The relief was great! He smiled to himself. The speed was right and they were in flight distance of landing pods from the planet. Sankis did a good job. They all did.

There was only one flaw. Within three hours they will be beyond landing pods range from Chiron. They jettisoned some crucial modules for emergency deceleration, thus any long travel in “Unity” was out of question.

They met in Command Room 2. Sankis was already operating the Main Computer.

“Yang, we may leave maybe up to 20 people in “Unity” for the long return orbit. But I do not advise that. It appears emergency deceleration stressed the hull too much. We have less than three hours for pods to reach Chiron safely”. Sankis explained to Yang

“Emergency landing, procedure two?” asked Sankis. It was more like rhetoric question. Procedure two called for waking up all people from cryosleep who were confirmed to be able to wake up safely and ‘healthy’. All others were scheduled to be attended by cryosleep personnel and possibly woke up after their recommendation. That was to save the lives of those who needed more than routine wakeup. Lal and many other in cryobay 5 were probably in such position. All revived crewmembers were then scheduled to proceed to landing pods and leave the ship. Cryocells might be loaded to landing pods too, they were designed for a little of additional weight.

“Yes, procedure two,” replied Yang.

to be continued...