Old March 19, 2004, 14:19   #31
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think the current speed of the game is fine. I don't really want to cut swathes through the village every night, and then bump off a handful each day for good measure.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:37   #32
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
How about everyone votes for (x) mafia and only the top voter gets whacked?
Old March 19, 2004, 15:39   #33
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Docpiling I stopped plyaing because of that.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:42   #34
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I'm trying to fins a way to minimize Docpiling, without going to a hidden ballot.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:43   #35
Tuberski

I, personally, have already found a way.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 19, 2004, 15:53   #36
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:23
How about you can't vote for the same person back to back ?

It would make things more confusing though.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:55   #37
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Prolly too hard to enforce.
Old March 19, 2004, 16:12   #38
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Simple way to stop docpiling.

If you don't like it - don't do it.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 20:27   #39
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 3, 2010
but what about everyone else, the regulars always docpile. almost like it organsied
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 19, 2004, 21:01   #40
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:23
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
How about you can't vote for the same person back to back ?
That wouldn't stop successful docpiling.
Old March 19, 2004, 21:05   #41
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
but what about everyone else, the regulars always docpile. almost like it organsied
Well, the regulars are always saying "We want to avoid docpiling" "We hate docpiling" and then it happens again and again anyway. We must assume that either
a) People naturally docpile, because if everyone votes for someone else, you don't put yourself in danger, or
b) People like docpiling.

What do you think?

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 22:49   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:23
Docpiling is done because it is the safest thing to do this round. You make it less likely you will die this turn and more likely that the person you vote for will be killed so they can't return the favour Rah-style next round.

Docpiling will continue while it provides these advantages.
Old March 19, 2004, 23:35   #43
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 05:23
all the more reason for secret voting
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 19, 2004, 23:39   #44
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:23
Looks like Snowfire has the best idea so far.
Old March 20, 2004, 01:27   #45
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

However, a public vote may be controverted by a PM vote. (I post on the forum, "I vote rah," but send a PM, "just kiddin', it's Skanky.")

Terrible idea. Why bother with public votes then? The point of public discussion is to try and figure out who really did it. Why would you want to hide your thoughts on that matter? And does it make any sense, flavorwise? (Discussion: "We should hang Jeb!" "Yup, Jeb's the murderer!" Result:"Er... okay... so we kill Fred now?!")

I don't really get it

Wouldn't everyone vote for everyone each round?

I assume this was in response to my suggestion. No, you wouldn't, unless you were being a psycho. If there are people you suspect more than others, vote for them. The villagers want to win, and that's more likely if they actually vote for those they think are the Mafia...

The biggest problem is that bookkeeping would be slightly tougher, since people would be offering votes like "I vote yes for Harry, Harriet, & Henrietta; no for everyone else." You'd have to keep counts for each suspect.
Old March 20, 2004, 02:27   #46
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I like the multiple votes

with some percentage (like 51 or 60) being required to kill someone

Jon Miller
Old March 20, 2004, 02:28   #47
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

you could have it so that everytime someone votes they ahve to put down all their votes

votes only last one day, as determined by the GM

Jon Miller
Old March 20, 2004, 07:00   #48
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
I assume this was in response to my suggestion. No, you wouldn't, unless you were being a psycho. If there are people you suspect more than others, vote for them. The villagers want to win, and that's more likely if they actually vote for those they think are the Mafia...
Well, yes and no although the object is to kill the mafia as quickly as possible, most people try to look out for number one.
They don't really care how many villagers stay alive as long as they stay in.

Edit: fixed quote.

Wow, editing has become really fast

Last edited by alva; March 20, 2004 at 08:35.
Old March 20, 2004, 08:28   #49
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
They don't really care how many villagers stay alive as long as they stay in.
True. And the villagers don't like to help other villagers stay alive - incase they are keeping the mafia alive without knowing it.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 10:46   #50
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 15:23
Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
However, a public vote may be controverted by a PM vote. (I post on the forum, "I vote rah," but send a PM, "just kiddin', it's Skanky.")

Terrible idea. Why bother with public votes then? The point of public discussion is to try and figure out who really did it. Why would you want to hide your thoughts on that matter? And does it make any sense, flavorwise? (Discussion: "We should hang Jeb!" "Yup, Jeb's the murderer!" Result:"Er... okay... so we kill Fred now?!")
Simply so that the public votes can be used to mislead people. You won't know who changed their vote to whom.

Alternatively, people could also publicly campaign for voting for a certain somebody, but all voting would be by PM.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:59   #51
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Another idea I just got 2 minutes ago

It does look like Rah's idea... maybe it is, I'm not sure if I understand his idea 100%

Each player belongs to a group. When the game starts, each group has ~3 members. Each group only has one vote. The members in the groups then need to give reasons for each other, to persuade the other members of the group to vote for the person, this member believe is a mafia. In the end, each group has to post one vote.
I believe this makes votes based on clues more important, since evidence is needed to persuade the other members of the group.

This requires the members in each group to be living in the same timezone (or at least online at the same time)
Old March 20, 2004, 11:23   #52
Jamski
Deity

I like your idea, ADG, but I'm not sure its "mafia" anymore. The trouble is that we just can't rely on people checking the thread - not even once in 24 hours. Yes, there are strange people that simply join a game and then don't care about it. We could be waiting forever for groups to make a decision.

If we add the idea of mafia "groups" there is also the problem of what a group does if it thinks the mafia is one of its own members...

Its a nice idea, if we were all sitting at a table, but unless the players can be somehow convinced to hang around the thread the whole day, I can see it turnng into a very slow game.

And now I feel like a bastard for jumping on your suggestion, sorry

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 11:52   #53
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The 24 hour rule still applies:
If a group fails to post their vote before time runs out, we wont wait for them, they just fails to influence the votings then... That's their problem
If two of the members in a group believes it's the 3rd member of the group that is the mafia, then they're still able to vote for him (This is a Democracy afterall )

If there is a group of 3 members where only 1 member is active, that just means he's the only voter for his group, which means he controls the 'group'

I know this might not be 'Mafia' anymore, but we could just try to start it as a new game. Instead of making it "Mafia XXXIV" it could just be some new game with some new name.
Old March 20, 2004, 12:00   #54
Jamski
Deity

The problem is with a group with TWO members, when one member thinks the other is the mafia.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 12:08   #55
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

In such cases we could make it possible for members of one group to join another group instead (Join a group with 1 less member than his/her group, or switch with a member of another group)
Old March 20, 2004, 12:11   #56
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

And in cases where there is no majority in a group, and they can't agree on a vote, they just send both votes to the GM, who'll make a random draw to chose who they vote for...
Old May 4, 2004, 16:33   #57
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
The usual proposed solution to problems such as this in voting systems (the problem of two-party systems arising in Democracies, which is closely related to docpiling) is to change the voting system to single transferable vote. This does make more work for the GM, but in most cases it probably won't be a significant increase. In any case, it introduces a different set of voting strategies, which could give the game a new twist.
Old May 5, 2004, 14:13   #58
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
I still think reinstating change of votes would solve the problem of dogpiling.

Dogpiling was never such an issue while you could change your vote.
Old May 5, 2004, 14:17   #59
Jamski
Deity

I think docpiling has seen a large reduction in recent games.

-Jam