Old March 29, 2004, 19:06   #61
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I've not read Order of the Phoenix yet, and you just spoilt it for me

I assume Hogwarts is older, and the magic elevators are reverse engineered from muggle designs, but magic powered.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 29, 2004, 23:36   #62
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
I've not read Order of the Phoenix yet, and you just spoilt it for me

I assume Hogwarts is older, and the magic elevators are reverse engineered from muggle designs, but magic powered.

-Jam
Sorry, i forgot the need to take care with any fiction, esp HP. OTOH, i think i can tell you that the Ministry is visited and the elevators described fairly early in the book, and the principle suspense is still available to you. You need not consider OOTP any more spoilt than say BG2 is for me

Youre probably right about the age, though JKR doesnt say.
Old March 30, 2004, 01:14   #63
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

ha! it's probably a D&D RTS like Warcraft III ... I doubt they'll make a ripoff of Heroes of Might and Magic TBS game alhtough that would make more sense!
Old April 2, 2004, 09:39   #64
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Grok
Public Relations
Atari, Inc.

Reg: Nov 2003

All crap...? You either need to expand your sample size or refine your expectations. Here are some fantastic recent Atari titles:

Godzilla: DAMM
APEX
Battle Engine Aquila
DBZ
D&D Heroes
Civ 3
Rollercoaster Tycoon
NWN
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Championship

Huge titles on the horizon:

RCT3
NWN2
BG3
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Driver 3

And, several others.

There's good and bad with any publisher folks. We've got more good than bad although at times it can be hard to see when you're particularly frustrated with a single title or recent experience. It's the same with every publisher in the business...we're not in the business to stick it to consumers we just miss the mark on some titles.

Grok
He's let another one slip on the Atari forums.

Can I say "BG3" and "NWN2" = WOW GOOD NEWS!

The thread is here :

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=363946

And he goes on to post :

Quote:
Grok
Public Relations
Atari, Inc.

Reg: Nov 2003

No April Fool's Joke.

We've got dozens of titles in all stages of development. We're currently talking with several top developers about creating the next generation of our strongest D&D RPGs. This really shouldn't be a surprise...lots of RPG goodness in the future from Atari.

Grok
And we know this guy is for real, 'cos he works for Atari, posts on the offical Atari boards. If he was BSing, Atari would ban him for sure for impersonation.

YAY!

-Jam
Old April 2, 2004, 18:23   #65
Jamski
Deity

Hello? No interest in BG3?

-Jam
Old April 2, 2004, 18:27   #66
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
Quote:
It's probably Dark Alliance 3. If not, then how in the nine hells could they continue the Bhaalspawn saga? Some sort of a prequel or something?
Old April 2, 2004, 18:30   #67
Jamski
Deity

He's talking about PC games, so not BG: DA 3

-Jam
Old April 2, 2004, 18:46   #68
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Hmm. I remain sceptic, maybe it's a slip of a finger something. Who knows. That cover in that gaming magazine was interesting, something about The Seven Anzars or something.

Maybe it'll go the way of Fallout 3 and be shelved moments before completion. With the gaming industry being the way it is, I refuse to believe we'd get anything even remotely decent
Old April 2, 2004, 18:49   #69
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Besides, consider this:

Quote:
All crap...? You either need to expand your sample size or refine your expectations. Here are some fantastic recent Atari titles:

Civ 3
I rest my case.

Edit: The image I spoke of is here. It might be an AFJ, but the timing with the statement of this Grok person is interesting to say the least.
Old April 2, 2004, 19:08   #70
Jamski
Deity

I'm assuming its using the BG name, while developing a new storyline, if this is for real. I'm also assuming Atari don't want people talking about it yet.

-Jam
Old April 2, 2004, 23:40   #71
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

BG3- how can they do that- the storyline's over!

I bet this guy's just making up trash and looking to be fired
(but maybe not- NWN2 makes sense)

I wonder if BG3 will be modable and will be 2D isometric topdown rather than 3D hmm...
Old April 3, 2004, 03:30   #72
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

-Jam
who is making it? Bioware?

who is making NWN2? I have not heard these game announced by bioware.
Old April 3, 2004, 03:31   #73
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
BG3- how can they do that- the storyline's over!

I bet this guy's just making up trash and looking to be fired
(but maybe not- NWN2 makes sense)

I wonder if BG3 will be modable and will be 2D isometric topdown rather than 3D hmm...
well obviously the storyline with the main protagonist is over.

But they may continue the series allowing you to choose a new adventurer/protagonist and maybe return some of the better NPC's like Minsc, Jaheira, and Viconia.
Old April 3, 2004, 05:54   #74
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
who is making it? Bioware?

who is making NWN2? I have not heard these game announced by bioware.
I dunno, this is a leak. I imagine either Bioware or Troika, as they are both published through Atari.

Remember BG3 was nearly finished when it was canned 2-3 year back, so it may just be a "oh, we got the rights, let's make some cash"

-Jam
Old April 3, 2004, 06:25   #75
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
If you'll notice, underneath BG3 it says Black Isle. Not only does Black Isle not have the BG license, they're gone. Now, I'd have a better idea what was going on if I knew Finnish or whatever that mag is in but I'd say it's suspect.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old April 3, 2004, 06:42   #76
Jamski
Deity

Maybe it says something like "Black Isle's programme bought by..."

-Jam
Old April 3, 2004, 07:09   #77
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Now, I'd have a better idea what was going on if I knew Finnish or whatever that mag is in but I'd say it's suspect.
I think it's Czech. It has far too many consonants for its own good. If it were in Finnish I'd have already told you what it says.
Old April 3, 2004, 07:49   #78
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I remember reading somewhere that bioware gave the rights to the Baldur's gate series or whatever to someone else, and that they where done with it.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 3, 2004, 13:44   #79
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I'll be anxiously waiting to here more,

BG3 and NWN2 would be huge
Old April 3, 2004, 16:42   #80
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
Apparently it is czech and since have lots of time I typed it out and used an online translator - which was no help.

Black Isle ještě neřekll poslednÍ slovo.
ŠokujÍcÍ odhaleni jen ve SCORE!
=
Black Isle stilly unwatered ultimate word.
ŠokujÍcÍ unfolding solely under SCORE!
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old April 3, 2004, 16:46   #81
Kassiopeia
Emperor

"ŠokujÍcÍ unfolding solely under SCORE!" is rather obvious, "See the news/story/interview exclusively on Score".

"Black Isle stilly unwatered ultimate word" might be "Black Isle has not made a final statement yet", or perhaps "Black Isle isn't finished with the story yet".
Old April 3, 2004, 17:32   #82
DarkCloud
staff

I think it's just made up in that case

as was mentioned before- there is no black isle anymore
Old April 6, 2004, 09:59   #83
Jamski
Deity

And now the official response :

Quote:
Update:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/504/504198p1.html?fromint=1

Baldurs Gate III, Neverwinter Nights II Update
Even more information on plans for the sequels.

April 05, 2004 - Over the weekend we reported that an Atari PR representative had posted on official forums that Baldur's Gate III and Neverwinter Nights II are in the works.

Well, now that we're into the working week, we've had a chance to check with that very same Atari PR rep, Brandon Smith, as to just what's going on. As it stands right now, neither title has been officially announced. Rather, the point of his post was to say that Atari owns the rights to both of these franchises (and all new Dungeons & Dragons videogames for that matter), and has no intention to abandon either of them. In other words, even if Baldur's Gate III is not in active development right now, Atari has every intention of producing another Baldur's Gate title for the PC. Further, they know very well that another BG title has big shoes to fill, given the glowing reception that the first two games received from both critics and players. Atari wants to do right by the series.

Can we say that either Baldur's Gate III or Neverwinter Nights II are definitely, officially coming? Not at this time. But Atari knows very well the value of both franchises, and intends to release further PC titles for both. As for possible developers, it looks like much-loved BioWare is not a given for either (possible) title, though whether BioWare ends up being involved or not, Atari also assured us that new Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights titles would get the attention of a top-level developer.

While none of this is the solid announcement we want for either game, it's reassuring news for fans of the franchises, and for PC RPG titles in general. Look for more updates just as soon as we get them.

So, it looks like it's not in development. It looks like IPLY has lost the BG license and Atari has it. And it looks like BG3 will see the day eventually. Could be 5 years from now, but it will happen.
-Jam
Old April 6, 2004, 16:38   #84
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

good news to me.

I don't expect BG3 to be better than BG2, but I could be pleasantly surprised. I think it's best not to get expectations too high. Even if bioware was creating it, I probably wouldn't get my expectations too high. Even they themselves said they will never create a game as large as Baldur's Gate 2 again.

So if I keep my expectations in check, I may be surprised if a great game came out of it, and that would be good. I hope they can produce a great game, but it is no guarantee.