View Poll Results: Best single player experience in a non-scenario game?
Civilization 3 with 1.29f patch 1 6.67%
PTW with 1.27f patch 1 6.67%
Conquests with 1.15 beta patch 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19, 2004, 16:46   #1
swiharta
Settler

Local Time: 14:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Differences in main game between CIV3, PTW, and Conquests?
Could someone post the key differences between the three currenly available incarnations of CIV3? Or you could point me to a good source of info on this. I'm ONLY interested in the core gameplay, meaning playing against the computer in a regular game (not a "conquest" or other scenario). Some specific points I'm interested in:

1) I've heard about improved AI for PTW compared to Conquests and CIV3, anyone know a good thread discussing why they think the AI is better (I know in Conquests AI doesn't use armies for some reason, but I know they do in CIV3, vanilla version)?

2) Were any changes made to the core gameplay from CIV3 to PTW (ex. extra Wonders, Civs, units, abilities)?

3) From PTW to Conquests (I know there were a lot, if anyone knows a good source of info on this I'd love to have a link to it)?

4) Are all versions affected by the "sub-bug"?

Thanks for any and all input, I figure it would be nice to have all the info about differences between the versions in one place (this thread) for reference. Of course, if something like this exists already somewhere else, please just give me a link.

Also, I am conducting a poll for best single player experience against the AI in a regular game (not a scenario) amongst the different versions, feel free to vote.
Old March 19, 2004, 16:54   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:27
The sub bug is been around forever.
There is a thread that covers much of the changes to Civ in C3C.
PTW has many changes as it added MP and new civs and units. Allowed 24 civs, instead of 16.

I don't remember any threads with a list of things for PTW to be watching out for, but look at the must read thread.
Old March 19, 2004, 16:58   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Here is the most recent changes thread from PTW to C3C. The Vanilla to PTW is too far back fo find easily I would assume.
Old March 19, 2004, 17:25   #4
swiharta
Settler

In the "progress" from Civ3 to PTW to Conquests and in the patches for each individual release, have there been any subtractions (as opposed to additions)?

Oh and another question thats gonna be easy for you all to answer: do you get PTW with Conquests or do you have to buy both games?
Old March 19, 2004, 17:41   #5
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by swiharta
In the "progress" from Civ3 to PTW to Conquests and in the patches for each individual release, have there been any subtractions (as opposed to additions)?

Oh and another question thats gonna be easy for you all to answer: do you get PTW with Conquests or do you have to buy both games?
There have been subtractions but I do not have a list of them. Someone does somewhere I'm sure.

Play the World is part of Conquests. You can even play PTW PBEMs with the Conquests CD. The only thing you can't do is edit a map for PTW as the PTW editor is not included in Conquests.
Old March 19, 2004, 17:41   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27
Quote:
Conquests include PtW.
Old March 19, 2004, 17:45   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

One point of clarification I should make...don't try to play a PTW game IN the Conquests menu as it will screw up. What I should have said was that the Conquests CD comes with a PTW executable file that and any PTW games should be played using that file not Conquests. It's a little confusing to explain but if you have Conquests you'll understand.
Old March 19, 2004, 18:37   #8
swiharta
Settler

Thanks a lot Rhothaerill for that thread link, which also contains other thread links in it.

Looking at the preliminary poll results, would it be fair to say most people choose to play either PTW or Conquests now, and hardly anyone plays vanilla Civ3 (w/1.29f patch) if they own Conquests or PTW?
Old March 19, 2004, 18:44   #9
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks a lot Rhothaerill for that thread link, which also contains other thread links in it.

Looking at the preliminary poll results, would it be fair to say most people choose to play either PTW or Conquests now, and hardly anyone plays vanilla Civ3 (w/1.29f patch) if they own Conquests or PTW?
My pleasure.

I would imagine that almost everyone who has bought one of the expansions plays it almost exclusively. I haven't even loaded up a game of vanilla civ since PTW came out a year and a half ago.
Old March 19, 2004, 20:44   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:27
I only load an original one if someone posted it to be reviewed.