Old March 19, 2004, 19:18   #1
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The CMC needs you - Unit naming contest!
Greetings, fellow Hiverians!

Following a discussion about standardized naming of Hiverian military units, the CMC has decided to start a creativity contest.

We have a good system for defining a unit by a code, but we still lack "nicknames" for many types. If you have an idea, donīt hesitate to share it with us.

Make sure to provide the unit type you have in mind, too.

Extract from the CMC naming discussion:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rubin
Comrade Micha, the Central Military Committee acknowledges the need for a standardized hivean naming of our military units.

Upon reviewing the current naming suggestions the Central Military Committee suggests the following formula:

AB-CDE

A = Hivean signature letter, e.g. H (Hive) or V (Our Chairman, Voltaire) etc. The signature letter applies to all units.
B = Chassis description, e.g. N (Needlejet), C (Chopper), I (Infantry), etc.
C = Attack strength or defense strength where sensibly applicable.
D = Unit function signifier, e.g. A (attacker), I (Interceptor), B (Bomber), etc. Special task force units may be recognized by nickname.
E = Nickname

(Examples: HC-6B Red Apache [6-1-12 Chopper], HC-6X Adjudicator [6X-1-12 Chopper, Nerve Gas], HC-1R Kozak [1-1-12 Chopper, Reconnaissance], etc.)

The Central Military Committee shall see to it that--once ready--an updated list of named units are posted. Meanwhile, corrections and suggestions (for nicknames, etc.) are welcomed.

Comrade Rubin
Chairman of the Central Military Committee
Old March 19, 2004, 19:18   #2
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

List

Yangfighter - [6-1-9] Needlejet, interceptor
Yangbomber - [6-1-12] Needlejet
Red Apache - [6-1-12] Chopper
Kozak - [1-1-12] Scout Chopper
Adjudicator - [6X-1-12] Nerve Gas Chopper
Stalin Organ - [6-1-1] Missile artillery
Liberator - [1-3-1] Drop Plasma Garrison

Last edited by Micha; March 19, 2004 at 19:27.
Old March 19, 2004, 19:31   #3
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 21:27
Here's the direct access to hivean units (M.Y. 2160): (File removed.)

Last edited by Rubin; June 17, 2004 at 21:39.
Old March 22, 2004, 20:41   #4
Micha
King

Now come on, that couldnīt be all. Doesnīt anyone have an idea? Please?
Old March 22, 2004, 22:44   #5
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

If we should ever need a single fast, strong and advanced airdrop probe unit, the Ambassador Arnelos [0^-3-2] is open for consideration. Of course, Comrade Ambassador Arnelos has to authorize this himself.

Should the Ambassador unit somehow become MIA or KIA it must have been one of Comrade Ambassador Arnelos' deception units; a crude clone intended to confuse our enemies...
Old March 23, 2004, 16:27   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 09:27
.....I'm thinking of stuff. But right now nothing sounds good to me.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 23, 2004, 19:34   #7
Micha
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
.....I'm thinking of stuff. But right now nothing sounds good to me.
Just post what crosses your mind, in the worst case it will just be ignored
Old March 23, 2004, 19:48   #8
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

Local Time: 12:27
Patriots
Red Army
PLR (people's Liberation Army for ground troops)
Voltaire Raider
Micha Speeder
Vander's Vanguard
and then refusing to decide
Old March 23, 2004, 23:43   #9
Micha
King

Good!
Patriots, Red Army and Vanguards will probably be used for ground troops. Very good Vander!

Comrades, keep them coming!
Old April 2, 2004, 10:57   #10
Scorpi40000
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Warlord

I have a few ideas:
Wasp(or any variation of that) - Wasps live in a hive society!
Voltar - In honor of the great and brilliant chairman Voltaire!
Hammer - In combination with my next idea...
Sickle - Ya! Soviet Union!
Scorpion - In honor of my own name!
"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

-- Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"
Old April 2, 2004, 12:08   #11
Micha
King

Nice

Hammer and Sickle as two differents units that should be combined to work most efficiently... mhh, me likes!

Wasp is also good. Although one might think it means "protestant white anglosaxon", as my dictionary stated as primary meaning

Maybe Scorpions might be used, too, but I think more because of the animal
Old April 2, 2004, 14:08   #12
Scorpi40000
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Warlord

Any of those "social" insects could be used as names... Bee, ant, termite and wasp. But they should probaly be cheap vehicles used for mass attacks!

Scorpions are cool! Face it any of you people who doesn't think the same!

I am truly a valuable new asset for the Hive! But only as valuable as any other citizen of the Hive!

Communism rocks! Capitalism sucks!(That should really be part of our national anthem!)
"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

Old April 3, 2004, 04:33   #13
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 14:27
I think it was in Aasimov's book "Nemesis"... a spaceship with "a haunting wasp-like grace". So how about "Nemesis"?

... Are ambassadors from the Drones eligible to participate?
Old April 3, 2004, 08:13   #14
Micha
King

Nemesis Class... hmmm.... could be a really big cruiser?

And yes, you may participate, but donīt rely on winning the non existent prize
Old April 4, 2004, 16:18   #15
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 13:27
Oh Comrade Oct can always make him some xenodoughnuts for his prize.

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 5, 2004, 06:16   #16
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Aasimov's book "Nemesis"
Do you recommend that book.... I'm looking for another read and I kindof liked Asimov's foundation series.
Old April 5, 2004, 11:07   #17
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I finished Nightfall some time ago. It was a pretty good read too.

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 5, 2004, 23:14   #18
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Kody

Do you recommend that book.... I'm looking for another read and I kindof liked Asimov's foundation series.
I don't remember Nemesis that well.... it was a while ago... more recently some sci-fi books I liked were Ender's Game, The Light of Other Days, and A Fire Upon the Deep. I also like Arthur C. Clarke.
Old April 5, 2004, 23:52   #19
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
Read Asimov's Robot novels: Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn, and Robots and Empire.
Old April 6, 2004, 00:13   #20
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Should I add those to my reading list as well? I'm always looking for a good book to read...
Old April 6, 2004, 01:50   #21
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
Should I add those to my reading list as well? I'm always looking for a good book to read...
By all means...

Speaking of good reads, I've got an interesting idea. Perhaps we should start a Hive Book Club, each month we'd select a new book to read and then discuss (I've always wanted to be part of a book club).
Old April 6, 2004, 10:38   #22
Snowflake
Princess

Agatha Christie!!!

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 6, 2004, 17:30   #23
Scorpi40000
Warlord

Stay on the subject!

The subject is unit naming if someone had forgotten!

Anyways i have some last resort ideas:

Annihilator
Obliterator
Mutilator
Violator
Alligator

Among the more hive-like ideas are:

Stalinist
Leninist
Cossack (Not communistic but anyways)

Old April 6, 2004, 17:35   #24
Micha
King

Thanks, Comrade Scorpi!

We already have the Kozak / Cossack unit (Scout Choppers), but thank you anyways.

Any other ideas? Comrade HongHu? Chairman? Doughnutman Comrade Octavian X?
Old April 7, 2004, 01:30   #25
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

If we've got some regular infantry units, why not 'The People's Army?'
Old April 7, 2004, 10:06   #26
Snowflake
Princess

And we always have the sword of Lenin.

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 7, 2004, 10:07   #27
Snowflake
Princess

Nightfall for a drop unit.

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 7, 2004, 10:08   #28
Snowflake
Princess

Thunderbird for the interceptor.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 22, 2004, 19:06   #29
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

GeoDropper for a drop unit
'Borg Infantry for a heavy assault battlefield workhorse

SMAC(X) Marsscenario