Old March 20, 2004, 06:16   #61
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 13:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by General Ludd
Because box stores suck the money and culture out of a community and give back nothing. Unless, maybe, if you count poverty.

It turns shop keepers into minimum-wage check out boys, and it takes everyone's money and puts it in the pockets of CEOs and shareholders who couldn't give a rat's ass about the people paying them, or the place they live in.
Caution: General Ludd dropped out of highschool and lives with mum and dad, so try not to take his opinions on things like this too seriously.
Old March 20, 2004, 06:17   #62
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Personally I don't give a f*ck where I shop, provided they have it and it is cheap.

If people didn't want to work for Walmart, they wouldn't have employees. If people didn't want to shop at Walmart, it wouldn't exist.

Those who constantly ***** about Walmart annoy me to no end, the self-indulgant *****.

That is all.
Old March 20, 2004, 09:11   #63
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:27
Quote:
If people didn't want to work for Walmart, they wouldn't have employees. If people didn't want to shop at Walmart, it wouldn't exist.
BS. People work at Walmart because they can't find anything better since Walmart drove all the local stores out of business. They shop at Walmart, because they can't afford to go to a proper shop.

People who live within a Walmart "sink" have my sympathy. I'm just glad that in Europe people are still prepared to.
a)Pay more for better products
b)Pay more for better service
c)Stop and chap with the baker every morning

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 20, 2004, 09:19   #64
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Caution: General Ludd dropped out of highschool and lives with mum and dad, so try not to take his opinions on things like this too seriously.

That doesn't make what I'm saying any less true.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 20, 2004, 09:27   #65
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
Ok, listen to me, people, and listen to me very very well.

mom'n'pap shop suck. They suck from a consumer's pov, they suck from society's pov. They ARE NOT The fabric of your community.

A cashier in a supermarket will never try to cheat on you, or take some more money from you, because he won't profit from it one bit.

I FULLY AGREE that employees must recieve better conditions in S-markets.

HOWEVER, This doesn't mean that the robbers from "Mina's market" are better. All this cuchy-muchy sweet and pretty "grandma's" shops on Main street can kiss my ass.
Old March 20, 2004, 09:52   #66
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Hmmm... the manufacturing jobs?
Interesting how manufacturing jobs are going down, while manufacturing itself is going up.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:26   #67
Jac de Molay
Prince

If you're a zombified suburban breeder mom who squeezes out 10 soccer brats and carts them around the sprawlburbs in your Chevy Gigundus SUV, then Wal-mart is your Mecca.

Who needs trees and parks when you can have lots and lots of concrete and, hey, everything you need under one roof? They even look exactly alike for your shopping convenience
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:34   #68
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

Interesting how manufacturing jobs are going down, while manufacturing itself is going up.
Well ever increasing levels of automation make that the case. We can have higher output than ever but without people having to take care of the minutiae of the job. Look at the numbers that used to be employed in car plants some 30 years ago...thousands, perhaps even tens of thousands. Now the numbers are in the hundred, because of automation. Not a bad thing in itself as it frees up people for less menial and more creative jobs...however whether this is really happening is my concern.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:45   #69
Az
Emperor

What kind of ponce are you, anyway?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
If you're a zombified suburban breeder mom who squeezes out 10 soccer brats and carts them around the sprawlburbs in your Chevy Gigundus SUV, then Wal-mart is your Mecca.

Who needs trees and parks when you can have lots and lots of concrete and, hey, everything you need under one roof? They even look exactly alike for your shopping convenience

"suburban breeder mom"? Is breeding something to frown upon?
Old March 20, 2004, 10:55   #70
Az
Emperor

Quote:
BS. People work at Walmart because they can't find anything better since Walmart drove all the local stores out of business. They shop at Walmart, because they can't afford to go to a proper shop.
A proper shop?

newsflash: the "proper" shops sell the same products.
People 'work' at walmart because they cannot find anything better? people who work for small shops eat the same ****, trust me on this one. People who own those shops and work in them don't but this is a rather big difference.

Quote:
People who live within a Walmart "sink" have my sympathy. I'm just glad that in Europe people are still prepared to.
a)Pay more for better products
b)Pay more for better service
c)Stop and chap with the baker every morning
What better products? what better service? It's the same products, and the same service. Unless, of course, in Europe they buy the milk directly from the goat, and they make shampoo in the back of the hut.
Bakeries are different, but not much, since what happens is a bakery is opened, but only the backery belongs to the supermarket. Big change. Real big ****ing change.

I mean, just today, the shopowner tried to cheat me for some cash. That won't happen in a supermarket.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:56   #71
Jac de Molay
Prince

Re: What kind of ponce are you, anyway?
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

"suburban breeder mom"? Is breeding something to frown upon?
These people are generally a blight on society, and deserve an all-electrodes free trip to Camp X-ray. They pump out way too many offspring, fuel sprawl, drive around huge SUV's, and cause spontaneous Wal-Marts to pop up where there was once nice open spaces.

If Wal-Mart is so great, how come nobody wants one in their neighborhood? Everytime Wal-Mart petitions to build one in smaller cities, people go nuts and protest like it's a toxic waste dump coming to town. I guess it's not that good after all.

And what is a "ponce"? A jewish poncho?
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:06   #72
Az
Emperor

Quote:
These people are generally a blight on society, and deserve an all-electrodes free trip to Camp X-ray. They pump out way too many offspring, fuel sprawl, drive around huge SUV's, and cause spontaneous Wal-Marts to pop up where there was once nice open spaces.
"way too many offspring"? how much is that? 3 or 4?

but I am sorry, you care more for open spaces than for people.

Quote:
If Wal-Mart is so great, how come nobody wants one in their neighborhood? Everytime Wal-Mart petitions to build one in smaller cities, people go nuts and protest like it's a toxic waste dump coming to town. I guess it's not that good after all.
People protest != bad. People want army bases in their town, does it mean they're good?
Old March 20, 2004, 11:09   #73
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

A ponce is another term for a homosexual.

I just prefer to buy shoes in a shoe shop, where I get my feet measured, and the assistant talks to me about what looks good, and we have a chat, and she offers me 5% off...

Or to buy books in a bookshop, and if they don't have the one I want, I can order it, and I can ask the assistant if author X has written anymore books about Y...

Or to buy cheese from the cheese store, and know its going to taste great, because the man let me taste it first.

Or to by wine from the wine store and ask the man there what's good with bacon, and he'll tell me X, and I say that's too expensive, and he says "how about this one" and I say, that looks good, and he offers me a taste, and we agree it is good.

Or I can run around in a warehouse with a wheeled steel basket and fill it with all the branded products I can find

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:21   #74
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
[q]

What better products? what better service? It's the same products, and the same service. Unless, of course, in Europe they buy the milk directly from the goat, and they make shampoo in the back of the hut.
It depends what products you're talking about. Some shops make their own merchandise, or buy it from local craftsmen. Not everything is mass produced these days, you know - you can still buy hand made, high quality products.

As for buying milk directly from the goat, yeah.

I buy alot of food through an organic food co-operative that puts priority on any local farms and buisnesses. The same people who run the co-operative have a great restaurant, too, which uses as much localy grown produce as possible. And they also display art from local artists, and hire local musicians, ect... But they're going out of buisness - 'cause no one goes downtown anymore, now that the box shops and chain restaurants have opened up.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; March 20, 2004 at 11:46.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:22   #75
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I love the wal-mart ads in the thread. Great stuff

Should I hate Sam's club as well, because I really like buying in bulk some non perishable items.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:23   #76
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Well ever increasing levels of automation make that the case. We can have higher output than ever but without people having to take care of the minutiae of the job.
Exactly. And this is blamed on Bush.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:26   #77
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
[

but I am sorry, you care more for open spaces than for people.
What a crock of sh*t. There's plenty of space for redevelopment in existing, older cities, but developers and wal-marts can't be bothered to go the extra mile and become actual parts of the community that contribute to quality-of-life, as opposed to a monolithic, soul-sucking tumor that gobbles up cheap farmland and puts concrete in its place.

Quote:
People protest != bad. People want army bases in their town, does it mean they're good?
I'm sorry, but this is completely devoid of sense.
Try not to address the original question in monosyllabic doublespeak. My argument is that the benefits of wal-mart you espoused are outweighed by the negatives, which why many people are so vehemently opposed to having one set up in their towns...
Old March 20, 2004, 11:33   #78
Gangerolf
Prince

is this what they call irony?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	walmart.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	67643  
Old March 20, 2004, 11:36   #79
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

thats what they call google ads. Seems to be triggered by words in the thread or MarkG is particularly naughty. And I commeneted on this 3 posts ago
Old March 20, 2004, 11:38   #80
Ned
King

Local Time: 11:27
I find this desire to shop at higher priced stores because they pay their employees a greater wage just a bit bizarre. I would suggest that the people who actually believe this buy nothing but handmade shoes, clothes and cars, and eat at only the finest restaurants were the employees are paid the greatest wages. If you are truly wealthy you may be able to do this. But the common folk cannot.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:40   #81
Gangerolf
Prince

i never read more than page 1
Old March 20, 2004, 11:41   #82
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
But the common folk cannot.
Because they're all working for minimum wage at wall-mart.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 20, 2004, 11:42   #83
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by General Ludd
At all of the locally owned buisness that've gone out of buisness in favour of the junk shops.
If they've gone out of business how are we supposed to do business with them?
Old March 20, 2004, 11:44   #84
asleepathewheel
Emperor

where I've lived, the local shops have been the junk shops. Walmart at the very least is consistent in quality. cheap goods cheap quality mostly, you get what you pay for.

And as I said before, since wal-mart owns basically every team I root for, gooooo Wal-mart
Old March 20, 2004, 11:46   #85
Az
Emperor

Quote:
A ponce is another term for a homosexual.
not so.
http://www.yourdictionary.net/ponce.html

Quote:
I just prefer to buy shoes in a shoe shop, where I get my feet measured, and the assistant talks to me about what looks good, and we have a chat, and she offers me 5% off...
The one doesn't exclude the other. ( Though I, myself, find people that buy shoes in supermarkets wierd.

Quote:
Or to buy books in a bookshop, and if they don't have the one I want, I can order it, and I can ask the assistant if author X has written anymore books about Y...
Same as above.

Quote:
Or to buy cheese from the cheese store, and know its going to taste great, because the man let me taste it first.
In supermarkets here, they often allow this.

Quote:
Or to by wine from the wine store and ask the man there what's good with bacon, and he'll tell me X, and I say that's too expensive, and he says "how about this one" and I say, that looks good, and he offers me a taste, and we agree it is good.
Wine shops? pfft. niche.

Quote:
Or I can run around in a warehouse with a wheeled steel basket and fill it with all the branded products I can find
yes you can.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:53   #86
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I find this desire to shop at higher priced stores because they pay their employees a greater wage just a bit bizarre. .
If you compared the prices at a union-run grocery store vs. Wal-Mart, there's not that much difference except where you're buying in HUGE bulk, and the quality and variety of foods is far better at the smaller store.

I'm not buying the argument that grocery shoppers are paying any premium for shopping at smaller, higher paying markets. Most of these also offer discount club cards to save even more.
Old March 20, 2004, 12:16   #87
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I don't know about the United States, but here in Hong Kong, buying stuff from large supermarket chains doesn't mean you pay less. On the other hand, the supermarket chains consistently charge you more, from toilet paper to fluorescent bulbs.
Old March 20, 2004, 12:44   #88
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

I did read a book about a chick working in a Walmart and almost getting disabled.. "Nickel and dimed" of Barbra Ehrenreich or sth like that
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 20, 2004, 13:00   #89
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 15:27
Nickel and dimed is a book I read rescently.... everyone here should read it, its not that long.
Old March 20, 2004, 13:11   #90
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I find this desire to shop at higher priced stores because they pay their employees a greater wage just a bit bizarre. I would suggest that the people who actually believe this buy nothing but handmade shoes, clothes and cars, and eat at only the finest restaurants were the employees are paid the greatest wages. If you are truly wealthy you may be able to do this. But the common folk cannot.
The problem are large stores that put a huge emphasis on raw consumption at the expense of environment and quality of life. Just a small example: in Europe, many shops just don't give you plastic bags.

Large corporations with shareholders to justify artificially inflate the economy with useless, resource-unefficient stuff.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).