Old March 31, 2004, 15:32   #61
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I started this game earlier this week, and have slowly been playing through it. I did things a lot like Catt, except I built a couple warriors and then a settler before my granary.

3450 - border expansion pops 3 barb warriors out of the hut. My warrior kills two of them, the third runs away.
3200 - Entremont builds settler. Iroquois encountered, they have everything I have plus bronze working and alphabet.
3150 - Sumerians encountered, they have everything I have plus bronze working and warrior code (and a second city ).
2550 - granary completed in Entremont. Germans encountered, they give bronze working and 9 gold for pottery and ceremonial burial.
2350 - Mysticism discovered. Germans give the Wheel and 41 gold for it; Sumerians give Masonry and 3 gold for Mysticism and 1 gpt; Iroquois give Alphabet and 32 gold for Masonry and Mysticism.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au502 2150bc.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	68666  
Old April 3, 2004, 15:57   #62
JimiD
BtS Tri-LeagueApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 19:28
Finally my first AU game, having been lurking here for a while.
Difficulty: Monarch. I have been picking up a lot from apolyton, but my MM lets me down. Tend to get sidetracked too easily.

edit: standard AU mod.

A Aeson/Nathan start: The level of detail and consideration that the rest of the community puts into only the first 30 turns compared to me, probably explains why I still fail to win consistantly at even this level. I must admit to having replayed the first 30 turns several times, not because I wanted act with foresight, but because I kept failing to follow the instructions. This is the first time I have successfully used a settler pump, and have now seen the light (this doesnt mean I am ready to set one up without such clear instructions though!). My early game has always been weak, and I have relied on building a head of steam and catching up though the industrial age. Whether this apparently strong start will mean the rest of the game goes as well, I will discover. In summary, its the first DAR, and I have already learnt something:

Emerging from the woods, the newly ambitious Celts set up on the banks of a river, sending work parties out to till the land and warriors off exploring. The elders in the town square decide to debate and investigate religous matters, Mysticism and Polythesim, anticipating that other tribes will value the theological subtleties of our evolving culture with the exchange of similar leaps of thought, as well as cold hard cash (a new concept for me as well is this researching important, but undervalued, topics for their trade worth, but I am giving it a go..)

Our braves meet some wandering Iroquis warriors in approximately 3050 BC, however Hiwatha doesnt want to trade Bronze or Alphabet for Ceromonial Burial. Some of the younger, more spirited member of the community get a little less sure about us not spending time thinking about a more, hmm, macho topic, however the elders hold sway, and the progress towards religous enlightenment continues.

Shortly the elders burst forth from the thinking huts (havent yet thought about what to call them, but, hey, libraies come later) with knowledge of mysticism, and envoys are rapidly deployed to the Iroquis camps to exchange knowledge, will it be Bronze Working or Alphabet?

Neither. They already know it! Even the elders are a little unsure now, but Polythesm was the plan.....

Alesia founded to the south east (332), on hill and river, Incense close by, no jungle. History is a little hazy about when....

Lugdunum founded 2390 BC to the south west (114), will get spices once roads are carved through the jungle.

Do I not like settle pumps.....
Old April 3, 2004, 23:20   #63
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The pirate
Finally my first AU game, having been lurking here for a while.
welcome to the fray, Pirate! This is a great place to learn and above all, have fun!

Cheers!
Old April 4, 2004, 02:10   #64
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Welcome aboard Pirate.
Old April 4, 2004, 02:48   #65
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 12:28
Welcome The pirate! And welcome back DaveV (all the way from a mini-tourney, if the search functioned properly)!

Catt
Old April 5, 2004, 00:51   #66
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:
Originally posted by The pirate
This is the first time I have successfully used a settler pump, and have now seen the light (this doesnt mean I am ready to set one up without such clear instructions though!).
Welcome to Apolyton University.

Most of the time, settler pumps aren't all that hard to set up. The main ingredients are bonus food, a decent amount of production, and a granary. You do have to watch the luxury slider to avoid riots and sometimes have to watch what tiles laborers work so they don't cost you food. (Last I checked, setting the city governor to maximize food could help avoid losses of food due to working the wrong tiles, albeit often at a cost of a shield or two on the first turn a laborer appears. I haven't tried it in C3C, though.) I would encourage you to try settler pumps in your own games when the oportunity arises; they're worth it even without the kind of fairly exhaustive analysis that I sometimes do in AU games to try to time everything perfectly. (Most of the time, I'm not anywhere near that rigorous.)

Nathan
Old April 5, 2004, 11:47   #67
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:28
If you want to practice pumps, check out my Ducki does C3C at Emperor thread in the Strategy forum - there are several saves there you can download and practice on(to avoid constant restarting) as well as good discussion on the hows and whys of the 4-turn settler and 2-turn worker pump. They were all "throwaway" games for me, where I just kept restarting until I got a pump-capable start. For at least the first one, Dominae posted a screen or a sav and instructions so you can "check your work".

And welcome aboard, thanks for playing!
Old April 13, 2004, 18:16   #68
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 11:28
Alright, this is my first AU game, and I'm pretty lousy at Civ3, so this could be bad.

AU502 - AUModv1o04 - Regent

4000 - My settlers moved northwest toward some fertile plains, my workers moved west to get a jump on some irrigation work for the soon-to-be-city.

3950 - Entremont founded, the worker begins irrigating, and I set the tax rate to 20/80/0

3900 - I confer with my wise men and decide good weapons for defence are a must. Experimentation with Bronze Working begins.

3700 - Able bodied townsfolk are gathered for a scouting mission: my first warrior is built, and heads to the top of the nearby mountain. Another village is spotted nearby and they choose to investigate. Will they be friendly, or hostile?

3650 - My workers begin irrigation of the nearby sugar fields.

3600 - My warrior/scouts meet with the friendly Angle villagers who teach them the Warrior Code.

3550 - I raise a militia of more warriors to guard Entremont, who fortify themselves around the perimiter of the town.

3500 - My scouting band reports that they have located incense and cattle while scouting from a nearby mountain range.

3450 - The cultural borders of Entremont expand and spice is located to the west of town. Meanwhile, my worker builds a road out to the sugar fileds to make trade to town faster.

3300 - Doing more scouting, my roving warrior band discovers wild tobacco growing just north of the cattle herds. A town in this area would be useful inded.

3200 - My scouting warriors climb yet another mountain to see what they can see. A sea is spotted to the north, full of leaping fish, and another primative village is spotted nearby. My warriors happily descend towards to village to see what knowledge they can trade with these folk.

3150 - I send some adventurous villagers out to settle the land to the east where all those resources are. Meanwhile, my warrior scouts enter the village only to be greeted by angry Marcomanni braves.

3100 - The proper tin/copper ratio is discovered and my people enter the Bronze Age. But I say, "hey, why settle for bronze when we can have iron", and send my wise men off to discover the secrets of Iron Working. On the Eastern edge of my kindom however, things aren't going well. My warrior band defeats a band of the Marcomanni barbarians, but with heavy casualties.

3050 - My band of warriors is wiped out by a barbarian warband. Reports of the violence reach the settlers, but they trudge on into hostile territory regardless.

2950 - Alesia is founded atop the cattle, much to the cattle's chagrin. Also within working distance of the town are the tobacco fields and incense. Barbarians fortify themselves on the borders of the new town. The townsfolk feel uneasy.

2710 - Still no sign of barbarian activity near Alesia, but another band of warriors is raised to form a milita to guard the town. Meanwhile in Entremont, our new bronze working technology is put into use and the town guard is replaced by well-armed spearmen. The former town guard is sent out to deal with the barbarian threat to the East.

2630 - A road between Entremont and Alesia is completed. The warriors from Entremont move into position outside the barbarian encampments.

2590 - After seeing no advances from the Marcomanni, the warriors attack a band of barbarians, but take heavy casualties. History is repeating itself already.

2550 - Another band of barbarians rush in and finish off my warriors.

2510 - Alesia produces a group of skiled workers to benifit my kingdom.

2470 - The new worker begins building mines in the hills outside of Alesia.

2390 - More brave settlers leave Entremont, this time headed west toward the spice-filled forests.

2310 - The settlers report that they have found even more spice than expected, plus another coastline.

2230 - Lugdunum is founded on the Western coast, with two squares of spice and one square of cattle just outisde the current city radius.

So there you have it, the beginnings of my Celtic empire? Or the brief history of a doomed tribe? I guess we'll find out. Sorry I got a little long-winded there, but I kinda got into it. :P Looks like i didn't do nearly as much as most people. Pretty much everyone else had contact with another civ at this point. Oh well, I'll get better. Also, in 2110 BC, I finaly got into the Iron Age, but the only iron deposits I could see were just outside the radii of Alesia and Lugdunum (d'oh!). I guess its colonies or more cities for me.

BTW, how do I attach an image?
Old April 13, 2004, 19:18   #69
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Danarchy here is theway to post and image as long as it mets the file type and size restrictions:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	here.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	69793  
Old April 13, 2004, 20:07   #70
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 11:28
Ah, thanks. There I go missing the obvious again.

Anyway, here's the final screenshot (though its a little late at 2110 BC, I wasn't keeping track of the time):
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	danau502.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	69797  
Old April 18, 2004, 19:33   #71
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Sorry I'm just now getting some posts up. Great game, guys!!

And welcome aboard to all the newcomers (hiya Dave!)... great efforts and learning!!

Demigod, AU Mod.

2150 BC was nothing special for me, witha whopping total of 2 towns, 4 Warriors, and 3 Workers. Tied with Sumeria in tech, behind Iroq by HBR, and the same plus Writing with Germany. Salamanca had already started the Pyramids. Polytheism in 24 turns at 1.9.0. Waaaay behind on score, of course. Scary how many Iroq Warriors are scooting around on barb hunts.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.