ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I never said that Isreal is blameless.
It was implied in your previous post.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 23, 2004, 13:36   #242
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
Hell, you would read that I'm straight in between the lines if you were creative enough, Chegitz.
Old March 23, 2004, 13:37   #243
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:33
Holy crap, they killed Saruman!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yassin.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	67926  
Old March 23, 2004, 13:45   #244
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 19:33
Re: Hamas Founder KILLED
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
This is a victory for the war against terror:

"GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Israeli helicopters fired missiles at Hamas leader Sheik Ahmed Yassin as he left a mosque near his house at daybreak Monday, residents said, and witnesses said he was killed. "

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=540&ncid=716
Giancarlo you are than idiot like Israel PM and most of cabinet members. First murdering than old blind man in a wheelchair by fireing than missile from than gunship is no great act of bravery. The day that Israel will disappear is comeing closer every day. God sent me than vision of Israel being destory for disokney International Laws which they have the habit of doing.
Old March 23, 2004, 13:51   #245
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Interesting digression.

However, not one word about the craveness of Britain and France for condemning this great event; and how spineless Bush has been for providing in effect "no comment."

Is there anyone in the world who knows right from wrong and who stands boldly on the side of the right?

The leaders of the world, other than Sharon, are really something.

BTW, did Kerry's people say anything on this?
\

Britain and France have more mortal bravely than you or most supporter of Israel have. First it is than murder of than old blindman in a wheelchair by than inmortal nation of Israel.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:07   #246
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:33
Poor old blind man in wheelchair.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:14   #247
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

The grand strategy, IIUC is to get out of Gaza, which will economize on military resources. It will also open up a new political dynamic in the territories, given that Mohammed Dahlan, who was in the Abu Mazen govt and defied arafat over control of PA security forces, is strong in Gaza.

There are two big problems with this strategy
1. Hamas is also strong on the ground in Gaza. Arafat may be so afraid of Dahlan he will ally with Hamas against Dahlan.
2. As with Lebanon in 1999, an Israeli strategic withdrawl will be spun as a victory for terror.

Killing Yassin certainly deals with 2, and in the apparent view of Israeli strategists deals with 1. By killing Yassin no one can claim that the withdrawl from Gaza is simply a retreat after defeat. And it weakens Hamas POLITICALLY on the ground in Gaza, during its death struggle with Dahlan. It also sends a not so subtle message to Arafat, should he decide to openly ally with Hamas. Weighing that, and Yassins real value as an inciter, versus some marginal impact on recruitment, it was decided this was a "go"

A counter argument would have to come from a detailed analysis of Gaza politics, not the usual handwringing.
In other word Israel is getting they ass knick by the freedom fighter.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:16   #248
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Poor old blind man in wheelchair.
I believe he would have met the condion of being declare legality blind in all state in america and not giveing than driver id.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:22   #249
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I think he might have had other problems besides not being able to get a drivers license.

I happen to think the Israeli policy of extrajudicial killing (or assasination, or whatever you wish to call it) is counterproductive. But I've no sympathy for the old, blind, wheelchair-bound bastard.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:25   #250
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

How is this killing any different than if we kill OBL?
Old March 23, 2004, 14:28   #251
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I seem to recall a certain "blind sheik" who masterminded the original WTC bombing.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:37   #252
The Mad Viking
King

LotM - I agree with most of your posts on this thread. But if you look at what Ben-Gurion said about the half loaf, it went something like this.

"I don't like settling for half of Israel more than any of you. But we are being offered half of Israel now, and I recommend we accept, without renouncing our claim to historic Israel." I don't have my books with me, can't quote exactly...

The realpolitik is a conundrum.

Israel cannot maintain control of all of Gaza and the West Bank. Even with Jewish settelement, the Palestinian Arabs are an ever-increasing majority.

No Isreali government can survive abandoning the territories. There is the right wing hawk constituency, there is the religious extremist constituency, and of course, there is the economic reality of all the Jews who bought homes in the territory because they were cheap and within a half-hour commute of work.

Israel must abandon the territories, at least most of them. It cannot be a Jewish Democracy and keep them; and ultimately, Israel will choose to keep its Jewishness and its democratic traditions over its archeological boundaries. But the government that does so will commit political suicide. At least for the foreseeable future.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Last edited by The Mad Viking; March 23, 2004 at 14:45.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:44   #253
Sandman
King

Local Time: 20:33
I reckon Arafat'll meet a similar end in a year or two. Killing Yassin was a card Sharon was keeping in his back pocket. It's the same with Arafat.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:45   #254
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
How is this killing any different than if we kill OBL?
In terms of the principle of the thing, there isn't a difference.

In terms of reality on the ground, it is different. At the end of the day, we don't have to live side-by-side with OBL and his ilk, as Israel does with the Palestinians.

-Arrian

p.s. A better example would be the guys we actually did kill in Yemen with missle fire from a Predator.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:53   #255
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Hmm. Last I heard, China was busy cracking down on Muslim militants in Xinjiang Province (I think that's the correct name ... anyway, it's one of the most western provinces in China). So long as that continues, I don't forsee any possibility of an Arab-China allliance. Unless, of course, the good Muslim folks in said province become, well, expendable for the greater good.

Gatekeeper
You are wrong China support the Arab totally and the new Calp will issue than ruleing which will say Alia doesnot want to rebel against China.
Old March 23, 2004, 14:56   #256
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I seem to recall a certain "blind sheik" who masterminded the original WTC bombing.
We didn't drop a missile into New Jersey to kill him.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 23, 2004, 14:58   #257
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Africanus

After Assasinations is there a spike in protests and suicide bombings or do protests and suicide bombings decrease.
If they decrease then I can understand the rationalization for having the assasinations.
Quote:
Israel has become more effective in preventing attacks. The
number of suicide bombings and the number of victims has dropped, with
142 Israelis killed in 22 bombings in 2003, compared to 214 killed in
53 bombings in 2002.

Analysts attributed the drop to Israel's partially built West Bank
barrier, its beefed up intelligence, a brief cease-fire in 2003 and
Hamas leaders' fears of assassination.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...l_palestinians

Indeed, given that Palestinian deaths decreased in half compared to the previous year, while the percentage of Palestinian terrorists to total deaths has increased, and Israeli deaths have also decrease in half, Israel must be doing something right.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:01   #258
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
p.s. A better example would be the guys we actually did kill in Yemen with missle fire from a Predator.
I don't remember people whining this much then either.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:03   #259
Oerdin
Deity

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3562185.stm

Hamas as appointed a new leader though I doubt he will be as strong or influential as their founder. Israel needs to keep killing the top terrorist leaders as quickly as possible in order to deplete their supply of experienced and capable leaders. That more then anything else will weaken Hamas's ability to organize and co-ordinate large scale terror attacks.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:04   #260
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
I don't remember people whining this much then either.
Dropping missiles in the desert is a lot less likely to kill innocent bystanders than dropping them right outside a mosque in a city.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:05   #261
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:33
Yeah, consider a quick rocket up you know whats it a perk with the job.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:07   #262
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Dropping missiles in the desert is a lot less likely to kill innocent bystanders than dropping them right outside a mosque in a city.
My heart bleeds for the "innocent bodyguards" injured in the attack.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:10   #263
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
My heart bleeds for the "innocent bodyguards" injured in the attack.
In this particular case, it was just bodyguards who got hurt. In previous cases, people walking nearby, would be rescuers, and ambulance personnel have been killed.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:11   #264
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3562185.stm

Hamas as appointed a new leader though I doubt he will be as strong or influential as their founder. Israel needs to keep killing the top terrorist leaders as quickly as possible in order to deplete their supply of experienced and capable leaders. That more then anything else will weaken Hamas's ability to organize and co-ordinate large scale terror attacks.
Israel will be destory by God Wrath soom.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:16   #265
Oerdin
Deity

Troll.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:22   #266
Arrian
Deity

Quote:

I thought the carload of guys we nailed were actually in a town at the time. I admit my memory of it is hazy.

I had issues with it at the time, and was shocked there wasn't a big uproar (at least here on 'poly ) about it.

-Arrian

p.s. CBH = the OttokoFez.

Old March 23, 2004, 15:22   #267
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
In this particular case, it was just bodyguards who got hurt.
Then what's your problem with killing the man.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:24   #268
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Africanus

I mean you hate terrorism but how do you expect the Palestinians to respond. You think that you should be able to attack their leaders and they just throw rocks at your tanks? That sounds unreasonable.
Um, Pax, it's a war, not pin the tail on the donkey. In Israel's shoes, that's exactly what I would think. Unreasonable would be to expect Israel to give up such an advantage, or to not press to extend it as far as humanly possible.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old March 23, 2004, 15:27   #269
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Then what's your problem with killing the man.
Did I write that I had a problem with it? I just think they should take less risks with civilians. They could have used a sniper instead.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:29   #270
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:33
Quote:
Did I write that I had a problem with it? I just think they should take less risks with civilians. They could have used a sniper instead.
How would they place a sniper inside Gaza?