Old October 25, 2000, 20:17   #1
Epik
Warlord

Local Time: 18:09
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Completed Game Survey
I have only been doing the MP thing since June, but I have yet to complete a game. I am wondering how many of you have actually accomplished this elusive goal. "Complete" means that you have actually reached Alpha Centauri or conquered the world. I will also accept a game where one player got Nuke Missles and the others conceded.

The best I have done is just short of Railroad.

So help satisfy my curiosity. Post here if you have actually completed a CIV II MP game. Let me know how long the game took to play.

My bet is that there will not be many, but if there are it may give my hope in my quest to complete a game.
Old October 25, 2000, 20:28   #2
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 19:09
i've never actually completed an mp game by your definition. i've conceded a few games rather than fight to the last man though. One game in particular me and another guy nuked each other in addition to a massive ground war involving howies, partisans and some mech inf. he would have one in a couple more hours but the game was already 12 hours old, so i called it a night (actually it was morning )
Old October 25, 2000, 22:21   #3
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 16:09
I've finished heaps of duels. But they don't really count.

In games with more than two people, Finished 2.

But in lots of games with the Aussie group have almost made it to modern techs
Old October 26, 2000, 02:23   #4
Spider
Warlord

Local Time: 23:09
Makeo: Why are there so many games that "almost" made it to modern techs? Is there a certain tech or point in the game that seems to tip the scales in multiplayer games? Or do the turns just become too cumbersome?

Epik: I think most games become a foregone conclusion quite quickly, and I don't mind when these aren't completed, but there are others that are still undecided that should be played out. I'm still holding out hope that we'll get back to those, but I feel guilty when we have to leave someone out in the cold because of an old game.

Once we get to a game where I'm winning, I think more people will want to continue. (At least one more, anyway.) There's just something about a game where I'm winning that people seem to enjoy. (I know I do!!)
Old October 26, 2000, 08:12   #5
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Like ColdWizard, I've never played a game to the complete destruction of my own, or my rival's, civ (I'm not much of a spaceship builder ). Just like in single-player, the game is most exciting when the outcome is in doubt. If the game becomes too lopsided, it becomes boring for all players. The endgame can take a very long time; most people would rather spend their valuable MP time on an interesting game.

I'm perfectly willing to offer or accept a concession when the game is out of hand, and start a new game. On the other hand, I will keep playing if my opponent(s) want(s) to.
Old October 26, 2000, 08:39   #6
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Most of the Aussie games Makeo refers to are still on going and many will be completed.

------------------
I'm Australia's nuclear cop
I am the real Troll
A.H. is a nice guy
Old October 26, 2000, 09:34   #7
drake
King

It might just be me, but if the game becomes lopsided (against me), I find it much more interesting. After years of smoking the ai with no challenge, it is refreshing to play against good players. Losing is part of every game, it builds character -- right? -- Coming from behind requires more civ skill than anything else. (Of course if youre really good, you wont get in that position). Even if I was outgunned, I would play on. I don't believe in starting a game with no intention to finish......but of course this is useless if my competitors don't feel the same way......oh well.....
just my opinion....

"C'mon baby finish what you started"
Van Halen
Old October 26, 2000, 09:47   #8
Mr Dimbleby
King

I've never completed a single player game to completion. I usually get bored with the game by then. Or I stop playing in the middle of a game, but by the time I get back to it I can't remember what's going on, so I just start a new one.

I am hoping that we actually play Ultradip to its conclusion.
Old October 26, 2000, 11:38   #9
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Thanks to Nukes... I've been in completed games.

But, I've also been in many games that have gone multiple sessions where the outcome is pretty much obvious to everybody, so people conceed.

Yeah... and duels don't count

Old October 26, 2000, 15:04   #10
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

I've been in a game where we reached AC with one great struggle right at the finish. And we've got the threads to prove it. Just read up "tales from diplomatic front II (in 3d-stereo)"-threads to see how the story progressed.
Old October 26, 2000, 17:33   #11
Mercantile
Settler

I would love to see nukes. Farthest i have seen is calvalry and spys and such. One reason i find double production to be easier in some senses, is that it really makes no difference as to where you put your cities. Through em all on mountains with copper and gold or hills with wine and your laughing especially early in the game. IMO double production greatly reduces the strategy of civ.

No one plops their cap on gold in single production. The only reason i am alive in the game i am in now is that 90% of my cities are on terrain which until late in the game, which never seems to happen, virtually makes them pointless to attack. You need way too many units to take cities like this out, and with no city bribe, many players won't invest the resources to wage a full scale war.

Now ask me this when howies come out and i may not be around to answer
Old October 26, 2000, 18:19   #12
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Actually, in single production, i will still plop a capital on gold, otherwise it takes awhile before you can take advantage of it. That one free food is big. And you still get the defense.

RAH
Old October 26, 2000, 18:35   #13
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:09
I have completed about 6 full games. I have a good friend with whom I have managed to play civ with about 2x a week for the past year and a half. However, it does take quite a while to get to AC...

Now, if you count all the duels to where I was totally obliterated.. :0 I'm too embarrassed to say!

but as far as completed games with three or more people.. I can only think of 2 and i have been playing MPG since 98....

------------------
Apolyton Empress

"The entire sum of existence is the magic of being needed by just one person" -- Vi Putnam

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall
My First Website!
Old October 27, 2000, 00:53   #14
drake
King

Would be nice huh dimbleby? I will go to the finish regardless of my standing.....you?
Old October 28, 2000, 16:31   #15
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 15:09
Quite a few completed games here. But started way more than completed.
Finnished in modern age, about 11.
Old October 29, 2000, 11:16   #16
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

The only real way to get to the end of an MP game is to find several other people who are able to play at the same time and same day every week for several months. Floating time-slots just don't work.

The other problem is that the longer a game goes, the more likely it is that skill or luck will result in one player with an insurmountable lead. No matter how determined you are to fight on, having only Musketeers and a couple ancient Wonders facing Hoovers and Armor is pretty pointless.

One way to avoid that is to get into a Diplo game, where the whole point is to keep all the players in the game and play to the end.

------------------
Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...