Old January 10, 2004, 15:00   #211
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is a great thread and it is great to see many of you have really played some weird ones

If someone wants to transform his/her justified disgust with a particular title into something more constructive, you are wellcome to describe the abomination in the format of the table in my signature, and I will add it in for all to see.
Old January 11, 2004, 22:18   #212
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:03
The Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires... a civ type game. But so buggy that I couldn't play past day 1... It was released by Sierra in 1996-98 or something of the sort.

VetLegion, you might like to add it to your list if anyone else has played it... as far as I'm concerned it's unplayable
Old January 12, 2004, 06:31   #213
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

As far as I am concerned all the Real Time Strategy games fall into the "bad game" category.

The only Turn Based Strategy game that have made me angry is Civilization 3, my greatest game related disappointment so far.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:14   #214
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 19:03
What! Even with the latest add-on?
Old January 12, 2004, 09:51   #215
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 03:03
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires... a civ type game. But so buggy that I couldn't play past day 1... It was released by Sierra in 1996-98 or something of the sort.
i played the demo - a boring civ clone, IIRC.
Old January 13, 2004, 05:58   #216
Qilue
King

Local Time: 17:03
Civ:CTP tried to be a great game. The reality being a steaming pile.

I liked playing Civ3, then I bought Civ3:PTW, then I hated playing Civ3.
Old January 13, 2004, 06:24   #217
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:03
But PTW made very little difference.
Old January 13, 2004, 07:28   #218
Qilue
King

It did.

Pre-PTW, the game was stable and ran smoothly. After I installed PTW, it was unstable and clunky.
Old January 13, 2004, 07:37   #219
DrSpike
Deity

I've not seen anyone else post about stability problems introduced in PTW.
Old January 13, 2004, 09:29   #220
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

But I mrean the latest Conbquest add-on. That actually makes the game playable for single and multi now - plus the real power of creating scenarios.
Old January 13, 2004, 09:40   #221
Qilue
King

Ah yes the old 'I'm-not-having-any-problems-so-it-must-be-you-fault' reply . I received much the same response in the Civ3 forums when I asked about it.

Doesn't really matter, I'm going to spend my $50 on something other than another Civ3 addon.
Old January 13, 2004, 10:07   #222
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Qilue
Ah yes the old 'I'm-not-having-any-problems-so-it-must-be-you-fault' reply . I received much the same response in the Civ3 forums when I asked about it.
Well if others experienced similar problems one would likely conclude the problem was with the game. But if one person does the conclusion should be that the problem is with your configuration or setup. Is that faulty logic? I don't think it is.

Just because you had problems with playing it doesn't make it the worst empire building game ever IMO.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:25   #223
Theben
Deity

Like the 1st poster, I'll say Pax Imperia. That game sucked royally.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 14, 2004, 16:42   #224
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 00:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Qilue
Civ:CTP tried to be a great game. The reality being a steaming pile.
I can think of a lot people that would disagree about this assessment This is a common reply from people who expected it to be a civ2 clone.
Old January 18, 2004, 16:23   #225
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:03
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

VetLegion, you might like to add it to your list if anyone else has played it... as far as I'm concerned it's unplayable

I have to agree, Since That was my choice for worst. Save every turn because it'll probably crash, Micromanagement hell, pathetic help or documentation, no percievable point. I played for 50 turns with my teeth gritted, then let the AI do itself for another 200 turns while I watched. I could look at the other civs at any time IIRC, though maybe that was a cheat. in all that time, I never had any battles with my rivals. So I didn't get to see how badly that was done.

it burned itself onto my mind as the worst piece of strategy gaming I'd ever seen.

A lot of people on this thread cite disappointments instead of truly bad gaming. Like Civ3 wasn't all they hoped it would be.

But Rise & Rule was truly the worst I've ever played. What a pile!

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old January 18, 2004, 19:52   #226
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Actually I found it and tried it out.

It really is bad

The usual story, some good sounding concepts, some new to the genre, some innovative city solutions, but terrible gameplay. I played fifty turns or so on a big map and nothing happened, I never even met another civ. Then I played another couple dozen on a small map, and I didn't like it. ICS and overproduction of units. Combat has some interesting concepts, for example: unit gets a trait based on where the city that produced it was situated, so some troops are better at mountainous combat, some are better in deserts and so on. But the gameplay itself felt lousy, so I just took a few screenshots and that's it.
Old January 19, 2004, 14:32   #227
gopher
Warlord

How can anybody hate Ascendency?
The AI was bad, sure, but the features were so great!
A linear-based, interconnected Tech Tree, a massive number of buildings to put down (and they were very unique in the fact that the buildings could do a variety of stuff), the GREAT spaceship building (create the ship anyway you want, with the best refitting I have seen yet, except for MOO3 ) etc.
Even with the AI, it was still a blast exploring the game and discovering it all.
And anybody who disagrees with me is obviously a Hugenot

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old January 19, 2004, 16:53   #228
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes Ascendancy played well at the time as a sort of sand box game. They did make a "antag" version that has the AI hate you and was bit better.

The real pain is the massive micromanaging of tiles. When it first came out it had the best sounds and great looking ships. It was novel to be able to refit ships.

In short I liked it and it got good reviews at the time. Down side is the manual and guide were very poor and the AI was exteremly weak. Go Camanches, my fav race.
Old January 19, 2004, 19:32   #229
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

And its amazing how great the graphcis were for a DOS game. Why don' the creators go back and redo it and fix the AI? It couldn't be that hard.
Old January 19, 2004, 23:12   #230
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
And its amazing how great the graphcis were for a DOS game. Why don' the creators go back and redo it and fix the AI? It couldn't be that hard.
Money I suspect. They have a web site called the logicfactory.
For a time it had a forum and they were working on AscendancyII. It was to be a MMORPG. It does not look like much has been done though.