Old November 2, 1999, 20:01   #1
Monkey
King

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Does playing civ change your perspective on gaming?
First of all i had to get this out of my chest as I've been thinking about it ever since i bought civ2, CTP and SMAC. The question I am asking is:

Does playing civ games change your whole perception on games?

First a bit of history about myself and my gaming history. Some of you might have heard a condensed form already on the civ2 forum.

I started playing PC games when I was eleven. That was when my dad bought me an XT during the era of the 286/386. The first PC game I'd ever played was the secret of Monkey Island and back then it blew my mind away. A wonderful blend of humour, complex puzzles and great storyline at a time when i was playing arcadey console games. I was so rapt on Monkey Island that i decided to buy every adventure game out there including most of the classic sierra ones... space quest, police quest, leisure suit larry.

A year later my family got a new 386 computer for the next 3 years I saw more adventure games along the likes of Monkey Island 2, Leisure larry 5, Heart of China. It was adventure paradise at its best. It was at that stage that I decided that the PC was only good for adventure games(and flight sims but only because a friend in school kept telling me how good flight sims were and for some reason I tried real hard to like flight sims) and the consoles were built for arcade games. The only exception was Wing Commander 2 which I would put on my top ten list of games which addicted me the most. Around this era the all time classic streetfighter 2 was out around that time and I rated it as one of the best games I'd ever played at that time.

Strategy games for me were few and far between. I played a bit of simcity and decided it was a bit dull and so never bothered checking out it's descendant, simcity 2000. Only one strategy game managed to catch my eye and it was, of course, the grand-daddy of all RTS, dune 2. Funnily enough, I'd heard of a game called civilization and even had a family friend introduce it to me. However due to my obsession with adventure games and my high requirements of having decent graphics(forgive me but I was only a child back then that was easily impressed with eye candy), I sadly didn't see the appeal of civ back then.

When I was nearing the final years of high school, the old 386 was no longer capable of playing any more new games. I was lucky to experience the great Ultima Underworld 2(for all you RPG fans out there I'd strongly recommend this product even in the today's world dominated by the baldur's gate and the might and magic series). Then the old 386 finally died on me... it was a sad day. My brother bought a SNES and it had some good games on it(ie Mario Kart) but even then I knew that the passion that I once had for games was slowly dying....

I went to university in 1997 and for a whole year I lived without a personal computer and had limited knowledge of PC games. The only game which I can say impressed me a lot was probably quake. My brother then bought a new pentium 200 and when I came back for the holidays I was impressed. Having never even experienced the OS that was Windows 95(I never installed it on the 386), I was surprised at how far behind I really was with regards to computers. Plus there were new games to be played quake, hexen, duke nukem, red alert, warcraft 2. Although these games were fun for a while they never really captured my heart like Monkey Island 2 or Wing Commander did back then. I had a friend tried furiously to show me the greatness of warcraft 2 but I merely yawned and said to him that I was getting too old for games. At that point I knew that my gaming heart was truly dead...

I tried to revive it again by purchasing the two biggest adventure games out at the end of 1997-- Monkey Island 3 and Blade Runner. They were fun for several weeks... until I completed them and the gameplay ran out. I went back to uni and bought my own computer a 233MHz pentium2 (which I still own to this day). A friend of mine introduced me to a gem called starcraft. I thought my gaming passion had come back again as I spent many days playing it over it the LAN that was in my college hall. But there was still something missing with starcraft... it was good but something was still missing. I enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of starcraft but for some reason I couldn't enjoy the single player missions to want to play on. Even to this day I havent finished the single player missions in starcraft. I wanted something with more....with more... meat!
Then i recalled back to the time my family friend tried to introduce me to civilization. I noticed it was horribly complex back then but I had heard rave reviews on it. So I went on the internet and tried to find out as much about civ as I could. That was when i found CTP(Call to Power) and this site(Apolyton) and my life changed forever. I wanted to get civ2MPG at first but then I heard of this new civilization game being released by Activision. I followed CTP's progress for 3 months until it got released early april here in Australia. It was the first time I bought a game staright away without reading any reviews about it before. My initial impressions of it was that it was average at best. Even more disheartening, some reviews of CTP came out which gave it at best a mediocre score. My heart sank... I no longer knew what I wanted in a game.

However I decided to push ahead and try to enjoy CTP to its fullest and slowly I was starting to enjoy this product. Plus with user modifications i was beginning to see the appeal of civ games through CTP. I couldn't get enough of civ... I wanted more... CTP was good but still didn't have that certain something...yet. I visited the civ2 forums and checked out some of the threads there and one day as I was visiting a computer swap meet, I managed to buy both civ2MPG and roller coaster tycoon. I played a bit of roller coaster tycoon(and proclaimed it as good) but then my satisfaction with civ2 was what pleased me the most. Together civ2 and CTP changed my gaming life....

I started to get that passion for gaming once again. I visited apolyton every day to get the latest news on CTP and civ2. i bought more games than I've ever had since coming to university. Although most of these games were good and higly acclaimed (Alien Vs Predator, Myth 2, Half life ) I would get sick of them after a while but I knew that I would always have civ2 and CTP to fall back on whenever I got bored. Then I could go back to those other games and play for a bit more. However it was the complexity of civ and that "finding a new trick syndrome" that have so far managed to pull me back to it. Starcraft by comparison is a simple game compared to the vast strategy pool of civ.

But i still lusted for more civ games and about a week ago finally broke down and bought Alpha centauri. The gaming circle was complete... civ2, CTP ,SMAC and apolyton... what more could a gamer need? These three games are the only games that I've been playing recently and I can' seem to stop. I know in my heart that the gaming passion has been rekindled and I have all the civ games and this site to thank for that. Now I wonder what Age of Kings is like?
Old November 3, 1999, 20:50   #2
Monkey
King

Hi Old Bear,

I originally posted this "brief" history of my gaming life because in the other games forum because I wanted feedback on the article. I'm thinking of posting it as a column article.

Anyway, what was the thing about CTP which you absolutely hate? I read a post of yours in the civ3 article which described it as a "turkey"? Was there something specific about the game in which you didn't like? Was it the diplomacy or the combat results or even the general atmosphere that put you off? Have you heard of the Apolyton Pack? The Apolyton pack solves a lot of the inconsitent battle results as well as provide new enchancements to the interface of CTP. That pack also comes with a new interesting ability for settlers, the ability to add a population to a city. Would you give CTP a second go with it?

I know this might not sound like much to you but CTP deserve to be up there with civ2 and SMAC. Why? Because it has potential. You might not realize this but CTP has extreme capabilities for modifications. Ever wanted to change the intelligence of the AI in civ2? You can do that in CTP. Ever wanted to create new wonders with original effects in civ2? You can do that in CTP. In fact the limit of CTP is endless, thanks to its reliance on text files for almost everything and SLIC.

The only problem so far is that Activision has released enough docs telling the modmakers how to do something but there has been major research done by fans in the CTP creation forum.

As for which game now holds the standard of all civ games to come, do you think that SMAC should take the crown from civ2? Ignoring the sci-fi vs earth theme, don't you agree that the interface, atmosphere and terrain of SMAC beat civ2?
Old November 4, 1999, 01:33   #3
Old Bear
Chieftain

I'm over 50, have been playing computer games since the days of the TSR 80 etc. I own 26 games of the stragety and war variety, and playing Civilization and Civ II gives you a benchmark by which to judge all others. COlonization, Imperalism 1 and 2, CTP, etc. are all judged against Civ II. Some are as good, none are better, and you will find that Age of Kings is fine and entertaining, but does not have the replay value of Civ II. Good Luck.
Old November 4, 1999, 09:47   #4
Flash Gordon

Hi guys,
my history of great moments in wasting my time :
I played computer games since 1983, starting with a C64 and switched to PC in 1989 (My wife (!!!) bought that PC!!!)

I can't say it was only Civ2 that changed my perspective, but here is a list of "milestones" and the years of discovery:

Seven Cities of Gold
M.U.L.E.
Ultima III
Gunship
Pirates!
Wasteland
Flightsimulator III
Red Baron
Monkey Island II (I played it with my wife a whole weekend!)
Command HQ
Warcraft II

There are a lot of good -even better - games, but these are the games that gave me an "Aha-Erlebnis" (I don't know how to say that in english. Maybe "it-opend-my-eyes-experience"?)

There are some games with great ideas:

Alter Ego
Starflight
Robot Rascals