Old January 11, 2000, 06:04   #1
Monty Vierra
Settler

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civilization, the board game
I'm trying to find the boardgame version.
If you know where I can get it, please
write to me directly:

monty@andong.ac.kr

Thanks!
Old January 20, 2000, 07:48   #2
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 16:07
A board-game version of Civilization? Are you sure there's such a thing? Closest thing I can think of is Risk.
Old January 20, 2000, 09:18   #3
Iain Lindley

I have to say, I haven't heard of a board game version. And if such a thing existed, I'm not so sure I'd bother with it...

Old January 21, 2000, 06:54   #4
Kaiser
Chieftain

Oh civ the board game does exist. Its basically civ based around the mediteranean and lot less complicated. It was created by a company called Avalon Hill and is what started the whole civ craze. Its also the beggining of the very long and complicated story of how both Microprose and Apolyton came across the rights to create Civ the computer game, but I can't be bothered retelling the story. Anyway back to the question I don't know whether its still available so your best bet would be to look for a second hjand copy of the game.
Old January 21, 2000, 07:01   #5
MarkG

"Microprose and Apolyton"????

Old January 21, 2000, 09:16   #6
Neil
Settler

The board game definitely exists, and a friend (here in UK) has recently purchased an Expansion Pack to it.

If you have the expansion pack, 6 or more friends and a whole day to play it, then I heartily recommend it.

Unfortunatley I have no contact details, will try and ask my friend via email.
Old January 21, 2000, 09:34   #7
Mr Dimbleby
King

Local Time: 02:07
I think the board game version was made by Avalon Hill.

------------------
I love animals, I eat their flesh and wear their skins.

member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Old January 21, 2000, 09:37   #8
Mr Dimbleby
King

Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find.
http://search.ebay.com/cgi-bin/texis...ty=MetaEndSort

------------------
I love animals, I eat their flesh and wear their skins.

member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Old January 29, 2000, 14:56   #9
JimMac
Prince

Local Time: 08:07
I seen it for sale in a U.K. branch of Toys-R-Us over the Christmas period for £30.

I very nearly bought it but didn't, as I guessed that it couldn't be as good as the PC version.

However, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has played it and could give a comparison.

JimMac
Old February 7, 2000, 08:32   #10
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 08:07
Hi, sorry for jumping here but I can try to help you.
Yes, Civilization was born as a Board game, as Railroad Tycoon (but that's another story).
Some friends of mine played the Civilization "on paper", me not, so this is a second hand story.

The game fulcre was on trade between players and diplomacy, almost nothing at all looking to war (any battle was keep on a very strategic level, no one of that tactical "finesse" some apolitoner are asking Firaxis for CIV III).

The game enjoiment was mostly on player interaction, and every game was so long that it was difficult to have enough players with enough spare time and a safety place where to leave the board during play break (no SAVE option, you see ).

In short, my opinion is to consider buying it only if you know:
a) it's a game quite different from PC CIV
b) you have enough friends ready to become very angry with you because of the game mechanics (Monopoly litigation about hotels fee or trading of Street Cards are only a pale example of what you can end with Civilization the board game )

------------------
Adm.Naismith AKA mcostant
Old February 9, 2000, 07:05   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thank you for reminding me. I actually possess this game somewhere - I shall have to search the attic and see if it can be resurrected.
All the above are fair comments think of diplomacy and then square it - but it IS fun or rather WAS - in my student days when getting six people to devote an entire weekend to playing a board game was a feasible activity.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 9, 2000, 09:03   #12
ghen
King

Rail Baron! Best board game ever! Buy and sell railroads to move your train around the country, first one to end the game with the most money wins!
Old February 9, 2000, 09:45   #13
CivAddict #1
Warlord

I've seen this game in a shop in Amsterdam, I didn't buy it bcoz I wasn't that addicted by then. You reminded me that I definitely have to go to that store and buy the game. I don't have a lot of civ-fan-friends so that's a slight problem, but I guess it's worth buying it.
Old February 9, 2000, 15:23   #14
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You may have an interest in this article about Avalon Hill & Civ the board game.
http://www.happypuppy.com/features/e...%2Ded%2D1.html

Old February 10, 2000, 05:51   #15
Sikander
King

Local Time: 00:07
A good article / requiem for Avalon Hill. I played many an Avalon Hill board game, from my first 'Midway' when I was 14, to 'Blackbeard' this year with my girlfriend of all people. When I started playing, there was no such thing as a PC. Even when one of my friends built a CPM machine, it was so crude that we played wargames.

The apex of board wargaming fun for me was my time in the Army. I attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California, and with all of the Intelligence guys there, it was board Wargame heaven. You could find a full table for 'Third Reich', 'Diplomacy', or 'Titan' every weekend, and the competition was as good or better than that found at tournaments. Some weekends I would join in a two day multi-player game in the day room, sometimes I would hole up in my room with my nemesis Mike, the base chess champion, and a bottle of fine Scotch, Cognac or whatever, and of course a two player wargame.

Unfortunately, nothing in computer gaming really compares with the face to face battle. Computer games have improved some aspects of wargaming tremendously, like solitaire play, and the ability for the computer to do all of the heavy lifting for such complexities as logistics, line of sight calculations etc. Unfortunately, computer games are designed for solitaire play first and foremost, and their AI doesn't compare to the abilities of the rankest amateur in the day room. Multiplayer options offer some hope for computer gaming competition, but the generally slow turnaround tends to keep me away. And no computer game can capture the feeling of watching Mike chew on his 'victory' cigar all game, only to light it when he had you where he wanted you, or to throw it into the ashtray in disgust when you defeated his last desperate gambit.
Old February 11, 2000, 11:24   #16
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Sten,
Thanks for the article - I didn't know that Hasbro was quite that tentacular (or, if the author is to be believed, quite so stupid)!

I found my copy of Civilization - AH version - last night - might even play it this w/e.

Thank you all for a blast from the past

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor