Old April 5, 2000, 08:33   #1
ir
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
victories in MOO2
Hi. I bought MOO2 together w/ 10 other games for ~20$ few monthes ago but have a minor problem.... Well, I don't know how to be elected as ruler or how it calls... I should either kill everyone or defeat Antarans. Could somebody help me?
Old April 5, 2000, 11:59   #2
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 01:08
There has to be a certain percentage of the planets in the galaxy with colonies on them or a percentage of systems colonized, I forget which. An election is called at a somewhat random fashion once this has been done, you then need 66% of the vote to win.
Old April 6, 2000, 00:24   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 02:08
I always shoot for Antares myself. Winning the vote appears to be based on a combination of raw power and attitude; the more power you have, it seems to me, the more likely the empires on you borders are to vote for you. The better attitude they have toward you, more more likely it is that they will vote for you.

Quick tip: research assault shuttles; they are the key to capturing Antaran tech early on!

The Mad Monk
Master of the StoneBabe race (lithovoric creative Elerians that later become subterranean) and the CyberBabe race (cybernetic creative unified Elerians that later become subterranean).
Old April 6, 2000, 05:56   #4
ir
Chieftain

Yeah, but can I start election by myself?

BTW, I like Silicoids and Elerian from native races and few more custom.

P.S. To capture Antarans early in game I used High-G Telepathic Unified +1 ground combat Bulrathi's ships w/ 2 tractor beams, troop pods and augmented engines. They had +60 ground combat and 3 hit points and lost less than half of them. Once I captured 3 frigates out of 4.
Old April 6, 2000, 10:11   #5
KarstenWilli

I also prefer the Antares way. Kill as much opponents as possible, but keep one opponent on the lousiest planet alive. I always vote for myself or abstain in the way the game is continued.
During the endgame: don't go for money, go for science. Colonize every planet that is left. It's a little tricky to find the right time to "retire" (that is attack Antares).

Old April 6, 2000, 13:22   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Apparently, the only way you can trigger the election is to settle most of the galaxy and wait; I read somewhere that the elections are held on preset game years, starting after 2/3 of the galaxy is settled. I don't mind,, since I prefer to play with the higher techs anyway--nothing like a stellar converter you can fit in a battleship...

I never considered using tractors, but it sounds like a resonable option. The problem for me is that I reaserch computers and engineering as much as I dare in the early game, and physics tend to lag behind everything else, so I get assault shuttles long before tractors.

Actually, if I don't encounter many high-g worlds, I'll find I have deep core mines first...
Old April 6, 2000, 17:38   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

In case anyone's interested, my local BJ's Warehouse Club has a pile of MoO2 in the original boxes (not jewel case only); they're going for $8 a piece. If one BJ's has it, the others probably do too...
Old April 7, 2000, 07:00   #8
ir
Chieftain

Thanks everyone for help, people.