Old August 4, 2000, 21:05   #1
tonic
King

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you keep and play your old games?
I was wondering whether gamers here have attachments to their old favorites and go back to them now and then (besides Civ 2 that is).

In particular has anyone here taken much to the simulation classics like Simcity 2000 and Simcity 3000?
Old August 5, 2000, 22:49   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:10
I still have some really old DOS classics around: MoO, UFO: Enemy Unknown and Warlords. I should also have Railroad Tycoon lying around somewhere...
Old August 5, 2000, 23:56   #3
Sophanthro

Yeah I occassionally go back and play an old game. Usually it's a game where you can sit down play for 15 minutes and then get up. Most new PC games aren't good for that.
Here's my list excluding CIV 2.

Tie Fighter, Aces over Europe (Pacific), and Red Baron. -- Alot of new flight games dont lend themselves well to a quick mission.

Spy Vs. Spy 1 thru 3 (2 Player only)-- On a C64 emu

Boulderdash -- On an C64 emu (any good clones?)

Joust, Warlords, Combat, Maze Craze, and a host of other multi-player games for my still working Atari 2600, Id play them more often but I have to convince someone else to play with me. Anyone want to visit

Tetris, Pacman, Misile Command, and few others -- usually via a clone

Colonization and Machiavelli -- Ocasionally

And a few Id still play if the sequel hadn't replaced the need.

Pirates! -- Now Pirates Gold which is still an old game.
Simcity -- Replaced by Simcity 2000 might be replaced by Simcity 3000 soon.
Railroad Tycoon -- Replaced by Railroad Tycoon II

So yes I still play them. Im not sure if you wanted a list .

P.S. I great fun little game (and original:eek reminiscent of Pacman et al is Koules, I think it's only for *nixes but Im not sure

Old August 6, 2000, 18:27   #4
tonic
King

The list is very welcome and reassures me that some are not going for new games just because they are new.

The point about the inability to have a quick (15 minute or so) session with current games is an important one. Those older DOS ones provided a stop gap for the times when you've been bushed by a few week's marathoning with Civ2 (and its ilk) and you just want to have a less time-taxing but equally challenging game.

It's cheered me up considerably that "non-violent" simulations such as Simcity are being appreciated. Perhaps there are others here?
[This message has been edited by tonic (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 6, 2000, 21:17   #5
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
I'm playing Jedi Knight right now and have a game of Heroes of Might and Magic II going as well. I picked up Age of Sail about 4-6 weeks ago...does that qualify as an old game? I have Stunts at work and play at least once a week. Ahhh, Machiavelli...one of the great games of all times...thanks for reminding me, Sophanthro.
Old August 7, 2000, 10:43   #6
shmily_dana
Warlord

This reminds me of something I used to do. I had a Risk game on my Commodore 64. The AI was easy to beat and I got bored with it. Sometimes I would set the game up to be all computer opponents. The computer would take all day to finally beat it self. Many years later I got a 100MHz PC. I bought a Risk game, hoping it would be better then the C64. The AI did some of the same silly moves. (It probably was the exact same game, with an improved interface). I did the same thing as before. Computer vs computer. Now the world conquest is over in 10 seconds...The AI might not be smarter, but it sure is faster...
Old August 8, 2000, 18:05   #7
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 02:10
I still play a bunch of games on my very first computer... a Coco2... for those that don't now it was a Tandy Radio Shack Color Computer 2 with 64K of memory, an external 5 1/4 inch floopy drive as the only memory storage (other than the onboard 64k) and hooked up to my tv. Aahhh those were the days. You could turn the machine on and it would be ready to go by the time you sat down in your chair.

Hmmm.... I think I still have my hobbyist magazine for the machine from when the experts were discussing this brand new OS for the IBM clones called Windows. If I only knew then...
Old August 8, 2000, 22:03   #8
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Does anyone know how to load cannons onto a ship in Pirates! Gold? I have just rammed my opponents on the first attack for years!
Old August 9, 2000, 00:28   #9
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:10
depends on what you mean by old.
I still play Civilization (1), Master of Orion, and X-Wing. But I've gotten out of the habit of playing Fairy Godmom.
Back on the Commodore, My wife and I both loved Legacy Of The Ancients, and we fought over the C64 for it during the first days of our marriage. We now have it for the PC, and our Tarmalon map sits on the wall opposite my civ2 poster.
But really old?
One of the first addicting games on the Commodore was Viper, the snake with the growing tail. We found it as Ibid, and still play that.
I'm also thinking about getting a copy of Adventureland, a Scott Adams text adventure I used to play on my brother's Vic20 in high school.
My brother also had a trash80 at one point, but it was so bad that no games on it were any fun even then. Good riddance.
Old August 9, 2000, 02:46   #10
Urban Ranger
Deity

Hm...

Some pretty good games were available for the TRS-80 They included most, if not all, of Scott Adams adventures, Invasion Orion, and a bunch of arcade games by Big Five.

However the best game ever is this game called M.U.L.E.. Even better than Civ since you can finish a game in under an hour and you are required to cooperate with other players to win.
Old August 9, 2000, 09:29   #11
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Oh man, M.U.L.E. kicked ass. I wasted a lot of time on that one. I think I may just have to find an emulator and play that one again!!
Old August 10, 2000, 21:39   #12
tonic
King

Thinking about old reminds me that the oldest computer games I played might have been the verbal (non-graphics) adventure games like the Zork series played on DOS in the earliest IBM PCs. I think the parallel between playing verbal adventures and the current fully-blown graphics packages is like enjoying a well-written who-done-it book and seeing the same thing in cinemascope with Dolby sound on the cinema's wide screen. There is something to be said for media that encourages one to use one's imagination - mental pictures seem that little bit more vivid that way.
Old August 11, 2000, 14:17   #13
Leonidas
King

Most games I have are from 1994 onwards. I still play the original Panzer General. And most games I buy I usually keep and play. I find that a lot of the newer games substitute depth of gameplay with flash and effects. It's nice for a while, but you soon get tired of it.

By the way, if you're looking for a short strategy fix try Stratego for the computer. A game takes about 30-40 minutes and is challenging and fun.

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old August 12, 2000, 00:08   #14
kcbob
King

Local Time: 01:10
Boy, is this bringing back memories.

M.U.L.E. was great! That was followed by the Ultima series. Then came Masters of Orion and Starflight.

But along the way, my brother-in-law and I stumbled upon an Electronic Arts game called "Seven Cities of Gold". That was superb! Whenever he came over, we always ended up "inca busting".

But, of course, just like in Puff the Magic Dragon, we must put away those things of yeseteryear and move on...

to Civ II!! The king is dead! Long live the king!

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old August 12, 2000, 17:15   #15
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:10
I don't actually keep them, about every game I have ever had before 1995 I can now download as abandonware. So, let's see... I can't give a (complete) list because I can't remember all those oldies I have, but... I have... Railroad tycoon 1(Which I'd replace with 2 if I could), Civ 1&2 (Wow! What a surprise...), Silverball, Colony(weird game. I still don't understand how can I proceed in it, I'm stuck in the few first rooms. Pretty nice, primitive graphics engine though),... TIE fighter (Which isn't really so easy to play without a joystick...), hmm.... MoM and MoO (Now these are classics!), colonization and too much other games to remember just now. Skyroads. Ufo 1,2. Arkanoid. Pirates! Gold (Though I never played this with my old computers, and I have to confess that every time I have finished a game yet I have become a penniles pauper and a scoundrel). That's about it for this post.

ADDED: Whew. What a format. Too much to fix, it's a bit hard to read without any paragraphs. Anyway, I almost forgot that I also have Pong, the first game. Though it's version 2.1 IIRC, I don't think you can have much older games .
[This message has been edited by LightEning (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old August 14, 2000, 00:21   #16
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:10
Does Transport Tycoon Deluxe count?

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old August 14, 2000, 23:00   #17
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 03:10
well... i still play wolfenstein 3d on occaision, as do i play doom. i haven't had the urge to play any of the quest for Glory games lately... and lords of the realm 2 was a favorite... but i have to say that i've been playing the secret of monkey island 1 & 2 the most lately...

------------------
get together, let's collaborate
this time the world will shake
make a stand, for what it's worth
get together, control the earth

Apolyton Legend
Old August 15, 2000, 05:00   #18
Urban Ranger
Deity

I played Lords of the Realm II. Mildly interesting, but the game always tried to do a job on me with random events, mostly in the form of floods, when I was ahead. It was really annoying and I can't avoid the cursed cheatings by saving and loading. So I quitted.

I found a tactic that worked all the time on battlefields; I couldn't tell if that's peculiar to my computer. This tactic makes archers invincible; the only way they could lose is to a larger group of archers. Here's how it works:

1. Have your group of archers start shooting as soon as the tactical view comes up. If you are fighting against a mixed group kill off the macemen first. Then those with the least amount of armor.

2. When the enemy, or the fastest group of enemy, gets within a certain distance, run away.

3. Due to a certain parculiarity of the program, your archers can't get away. Instead, they get plopped on some random battlefield.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have totally decimated the enemy. This requires a sturdy rodent and even sturdier body parts, as it might take quite a while to wear a large group down to nothingness.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited August 15, 2000).]