Old July 25, 2000, 03:48   #31
Youngsun
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Using "Yari samurais" is cheaper and more effective way to deal with enemy daimyo and his body guards.
Old July 26, 2000, 01:45   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:10
I suppose if you just have a spare yari samurai that is hanging around doing nothing What's 10 bodyguards to these men, right?
Old July 27, 2000, 05:39   #33
Youngsun
Prince

Yari samurais receive massive defence bonus against cavalry considering its own bonus vs. Cav with the penalty the enemy cavalry suffer.(double bonus!!)

If you are sick and tired of playing normal daimyos try "ronins and rebels".

Just type .conan. while you are playing as other daimyo then the "Ronins" are under your command instead of the one you had played(very easy to play so it is highly recommended to do it at Expert level).
Old July 27, 2000, 22:02   #34
Urban Ranger
Deity

What are you supposed to do when you play the "ronin and rebel" faction? To overthrow the monachy and establish a democratic system?
Old July 28, 2000, 00:06   #35
Youngsun
Prince

I haven't finished the game as Ronin so I have no idea. Perhaps Japan in endless turmoil as finishing demo with the messege "You ruined Japanese history! you bastard!"?
Old July 31, 2000, 00:22   #36
Urban Ranger
Deity

That would be way cool!
Old August 1, 2000, 06:12   #37
Youngsun
Prince

I had little thought about using the battle field engine of Shogun for other Napolenic battle simulations.

Yari cavalry:lancers
Heavy cavalry:cuirassier/Dragoons
Arquebusier/musketeer:Napoleonic ones with bayonets(can form square!! oh yeah!)
only artillery units are completely new.
Old August 1, 2000, 23:23   #38
Urban Ranger
Deity

What about warrior monks? Maybe elite guards or something
Old August 5, 2000, 22:46   #39
Urban Ranger
Deity

I remember something that irritates me. Even when you have win a battle decisively by killing the enemy taisho, you still have to wait till the enemy troops have finished running away. I wish they could just end the tactical right there. Or maybe they could throw in variable speed so I don't have to wait so long when I am defending.

I can't remember if I have complained about this before
Old August 6, 2000, 23:23   #40
Youngsun
Prince

Press Ctrl+T(or was it shift+T?)then battle field time will go a lot faster!!!!
Old August 7, 2000, 17:39   #41
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 02:10
Does anyone else think Geisha are WAY overpowered? They have very high success rates, and even if they don't succeed, they do not get killed, they just keep trying.

I rarely can beat a Geisha with Ninja, so that is a useless tactic. Geisha vs. geisha is the only way to counter.

In every MP game I have played, the first player to get Geishas always wins.
Old August 9, 2000, 02:07   #42
Youngsun
Prince

True. "Geisha" is one of the most unrealistic parts of the game. I've never played MP so I don't have any clue how people use her. I can only guess if the game has progressed that far Japan might be under contol of 2~3 lords and everyone has vast number of shadow army as well as convential one thus making Geisha sorta power balance breaker. At least you can see enemy Geishas so you can put away your daimyo and heirs from approaching Geishas until you produce one for yourself. Of course that can hinder your strategic moves but I think someone who heavily invested on the infra to produce Geishas deserve to get some advantage over other players. What's your favourite tactics and units Kinjiru?
Old August 9, 2000, 02:50   #43
Urban Ranger
Deity

Youngsun: *sigh* No icons to click? Maybe we could write a strategic guide just for the hack of it.
Old August 9, 2000, 09:19   #44
Kinjiru
lifer
King

I try not to have *favorite* units, but instead let the flow of the game and my strategic situation dictate my force strucutres. However, I do really love those warrior monks!

As far as tactics, I am a very big proponent of using forest cover. I just love to station a bunch of cav in the forests and let the other player come to me. Since only about half my units are out in the open, I let the opponent slaughter them, but in piecemeal fashion. Essentially I try to get my open units to position first and engage. After the initial skirimish I will pull my open guys back a little and re-engage. The opponent always is ahead at this point because when I turn to run away, he can obviously hurt me badly. So, after about half my (open) guys are gone, the opponent becomes confident of his victory and gets sloppy. That is when I bring out my cav. It's great because usually I have withdrawn my open guys enough so that my cav charges in from behind the opponent.

It never ceases to amaze me how often people will fail to make effective use of scouts.My biggest peice of advice to anyone playing MP would be to send out scouts to any possible place where your opponent could hide some troops. There is nothing worse than being hit by a cavalry charge from the woods, or having some arrows suddenly rain down from behind that little cleft you are marching past.
Old August 10, 2000, 00:37   #45
Urban Ranger
Deity

But there are no scout units, i.e., units with better search and observation abilities. So I am assuming you are suggesting sending out cheapo Ashigaru units to wander about the battlefield. But this could be bad since a lone Ashigaru unit tend to get destroyed quickly.
Old August 10, 2000, 03:33   #46
Youngsun
Prince

quote:

let the flow of the game and my strategic situation dictate my force strucutres. However, I do really love those warrior monks!

same here. Though I like Ashigarus a lot I wouldn't produce them much unless I play as Oda.

quote:

As far as tactics, I am a very big proponent of using forest cover. I just love to station a bunch of cav in the forests and let the other player come to me. Since only about half my units are out in the open, I let the opponent slaughter them, but in piecemeal fashion. Essentially I try to get my open units to position first and engage. After the initial skirimish I will pull my open guys back a little and re-engage. The opponent always is ahead at this point because when I turn to run away, he can obviously hurt me badly. So, after about half my (open) guys are gone, the opponent becomes confident of his victory and gets sloppy. That is when I bring out my cav. It's great because usually I have withdrawn my open guys enough so that my cav charges in from behind the opponent.

I'm not that used to defence but if I'm forced to defend I wouldn't divert my troops unless I've got numerical advantage and it is usually the enemy who has it when they attack. I always do "head counting" before I fully engage with main enemy body so if the number shows somewhat less than what I've seen about the total number of the enemy troop I begin searching forest areas.
[This message has been edited by Youngsun (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old August 10, 2000, 09:07   #47
Kinjiru
lifer
King

Urban Ranger: yeah I ususally use the Ashis for scouting however, there is often a better choice. Let's say in one battle you end with a unit of light cav in which most of guys have been killed. Well, from that point on, this severly reduced unit is not going to be much help in a fight, but it would be PERFECT for scouting. So I try to keep such units around for just that purpose; they are very fast and do not usually need to retreat when they do find some hidden units. Instead they can just outrun the newly found bad guys and keep exploring!

Youngsun - good point about counting heads. I am usually to busy trying to get my units arrayed and facing the right direction to do that, but it would be a smart thing for me to start doing!
Old August 12, 2000, 10:55   #48
Youngsun
Prince

Anyone noticed "legiondary swordman" event can occur even you auto-resolve a battle?
Old August 14, 2000, 06:21   #49
Urban Ranger
Deity

Youngsun,

I am a big fan of defending. You get to choose your terrain pretty much, and wait for the attackers to arrive tired. If you are careful, you can repel enemies much bigger than you.
Old August 14, 2000, 08:34   #50
Youngsun
Prince

Well, in tactical sense defending is marvelous but for strategic sense I'm not so sure whether that's so rewarding or not and I certainly would attack whenever chances arise rather than waiting for perfectly planned defence using difficult terrain.

My play style is sort of a man gone bersek to kill everybody. I build many yari dojos to outproduce enemy clans and my endless bloody campaign consumes my warriors'lives like the cookie monster eating cookies. However I do enjoy defending and like using thick forest for large scale ambush.
Old August 15, 2000, 01:32   #51
Urban Ranger
Deity

Lovely, vivid description of your campaigns, Youngsun

I guess they could go hand in hand. A defensive game wears down your opponents while giving your troops much needed experience. Then you can turn the table by launching attacks spearheaded by these battle hardened veterans.

Which reminds me that troops don't get experiences, just the taishos do. Troops could only get better from strcturesstrctures or their originating geographical locations. This is a flaw IMO.
Old August 15, 2000, 08:04   #52
Youngsun
Prince

Haha you liked it? Perhaps the WWII German properganda leaflet showing monster mountains of Italy eating up all the allied soldiers would have been better description.

Troops do get higher honour(experience) through battles they fought. I don't know how the system works but they do get better.
Old August 15, 2000, 22:34   #53
Urban Ranger
Deity

Troops do? Hm, I better check. Too bad the manual is standard EA issue, which means that it tells you nothing important.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old August 17, 2000, 08:46   #54
Youngsun
Prince

I'm really suprised EA made that worthless manual. Maybe they spent too much time on developing better battlefield engine so have forgotten to make a manual more appropriate.
Old August 17, 2000, 21:40   #55
Urban Ranger
Deity

Nah, standard EA practice. Not that I have many EA games. For a strategy game an incomplete manual is a grave transgression.

At any rate, have you completed your game as ronins? What happened at the end?
Old August 18, 2000, 10:06   #56
Youngsun
Prince

Not yet. I don't know I just stop playing after my victory get ensured then start another campaigne. Maybe I like initial stages of the game more. There are more than 20 saved files but not a single file had a chance to be played by me again.
Old August 22, 2000, 00:18   #57
Urban Ranger
Deity

Same here. I just lose interest in a game when the others no longer have a chance to turn the table around. This seems to be an inherent flaw with strategy games. Dunno how this can be fixed...
Old August 22, 2000, 09:31   #58
Kinjiru
lifer
King

I think the only way to 'fix' this inherent problem is to program the AI to do the same thing a human player would do when that player has no hope of winning... simply try to take out as much of the 'other' guy as possible.

For example, you know how when a province gets taken over, half the facilities are destroyed? Well, make the AI attack provinces that it can probably take over, but never hold more than a single turn. Let's say you have 3 other clans on the ropes. If each of them concentrate on making constant raids wherever you are weakest, then you will face two problems.
1) You must split your forces to mop up each of the invaders.
2) You will be getting less output from every single province attacked.

This kind of AI would provide a challenge at almost any stage of the game. If you do not deal with the invaders, you will eventually be unable to retain control of your fledgling empire. And if you want to deal with them effectively, you will need a strategy beyond the 'just send a bunch of armies to the current hotspot'.

-Just my 2 cents
Old August 23, 2000, 00:13   #59
Urban Ranger
Deity

Another way to get around this, I think, is to provide intelligent winning conditions. Say you have taken control of 75% of the land, with only three other warlords opposing you, and they have no hope of winning. The game should declare you the winner at that point and make you Shogun, so you can start a new one.
Old August 24, 2000, 00:08   #60
PMLF
Warlord

Anyone knows Shoguns cheats ?
Do these cheats really works ?

Before anyone talk, I know that cheat is a bad thing, but I want to see these cheats only for fun .