Old May 24, 2000, 01:38   #1
Karhgath
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To all Master of Magic Fans
Like every other MoM fan out there, I've been waiting 5 years for MoM2. Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might and Magic were good replacement, but I wanted a real MoM sequel. Recently, I've asked myself a question : Why waiting for Hasbro/Microprose to do MoM2?

I've then decided to take actions and to do a remake of Master of Magic. The best part of it, it's gonna be Open Source and free!! Right now we are in the planning stage, getting the engine done(50% done right now), doing some preliminary arts, getting the different races/spells/worlds/buildings specs, combat system, etc.

The game will have a big emphasive on the different heroes and tactical combat will be a big part of the game too. Armies will clash against one another, unlike in MoM where you had an handful of unit in a battle. Also, better diplomatic/politics options will be in the game, a completly new spell system and spell tree and a lot more. Also, you don't have to be a mage like in MoM(well, thats not completly true, you could take no spellbooks in MoM), you can be a warmonger, and magician heroes will have their own spellbook and will replace your magical abilities if you decide not to be a mage.

We are aiming for 120 units(each races will have mostly unique units) and 50 unique heroes/champions, in addition to an unlimited amount of random lesser and greater heroes as well. We are also concentrating a lot on the multiplayer aspect, with 12 players playing at once.

We are also talking about making it a little more RPG oriented(really detailed heroes, quests system, etc.)

Right now, we are looking for fans and programmers/designers alike to participate in the creation of this remake.

Our homepage is at (not really done yet) : http://masterofdestiny.sourceforge.net

And more detailed info, downloads, forums, etc, can be found here :
https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=5968

A preliminary screenshots of the engine can be seen here : http://masterofdestiny.sourceforge.net/screenshot.jpg
(yeah, that's the Civ2 tiles =)

If you are interested in the project, just drop me a line, we need all the help we can get on this project! Send to me any suggestions, criticism, feedback, question you might have.

A quick note,righjt now it is for Windows only(using directX 7) but I intend to port it to BeOS ASAP and then to all other major platform(Linux, MacOs, etc.)

-Karhgath
karhgath@sclegacy.com
Old September 18, 2000, 03:13   #2
Andz83

bump

Old September 18, 2000, 21:28   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Here try this:
http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=5968
Old September 19, 2000, 00:09   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
I am willing to help. I would like to be the game designer but can take most positions. What kind of skills are you looking?
Old September 19, 2000, 17:52   #5
Shadowstrike
Emperor

The author of this thread seems to be long gone. However, some of us are trying to band together to try to make MoM2... Now if only someone would make a signup sheet...
Old September 19, 2000, 22:25   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
He does seem to be busy, haven't done much with his pet project as of late. However, this is one great advantage of open source: that we can pick up his pieces where he has left off and carry on.

Any takers?
Old September 20, 2000, 00:32   #7
Nicolas
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:11
I've been a fan of mom since the demo came out, and have seen literally dozens of attempts by fans to band together and create MoM2. Without fail, they never get off the ground.

Don't take this the wrong way, but YOU WILL FAIL
[This message has been edited by Nicolas (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old September 20, 2000, 13:41   #8
DracoOmega
Settler

Local Time: 07:11
There's no harm in trying is there.

If someone goes into a project thinking that it's going to fail, that's what will probably happen.

You have to be positive!