Old October 9, 2000, 20:29   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
So, Has Anyone Tried Warlords Battlecry Yet?
What do you think of it? How does it rate compared to other RTS titles?

John-SJ
Old October 9, 2000, 23:48   #2
DinoDoc

It depends on you preferences. If you liked any of the HOMM series and enjoy RTS titles, then this is the ultimate synthesis of the two.

Old October 10, 2000, 00:50   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't tried it. The local stores ran out of stock and I kept getting outbidded on eBay . Anyway, I read the review of Warlords Battlecry on Games Domain which gave the game high marks. So I think I'll be getting it, eventually. Right now, though, PG3 is out so I'll stay with that
Old October 13, 2000, 18:38   #4
Frogman
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:13
I played the demo a bit. I don't think I like it as well as Warcraft or AoE. While the hero thing has potential, it also means that when your hero dies game over. If the game had multiple heroes and you could lose them and still play I think it could work. As it stands the game is apparently highly unbalanced (check the forums, several patches are out attempting to correct this)

The play of the game is not much different from the other rts games, a clickfest. It just seems like a straight ripoff of Warcraft with heroes added and they just didn't do it very well. It is a disservice to the name Warlords which as a TBS is a classic.
Old December 5, 2000, 00:30   #5
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 08:13
I really liked the old turn based Warlords games and was a bit disappointed initially, but now I like it. It does have some balance problems, but since my friends like to play coop against the computer it doesn't matter much.

I think it is a really good game. One of the best things about it is that unit costs and strengths are quite variable, based on the skills of your hero. This means that the game won't get locked into a rigid build order; you can be flexible with the strategies. With Starcraft you had to do everything the same way in the beginning, but here you can be more flexible. Strategies change and evolve based on your hero's profession and stats. A pikeman rush might work great with a level 15 fighter, but a level 8 pyromancer will have to be more cautious and defensive, waiting for the units higher up the tech tree.

Then there is the practically infinite number of hero/race/retinue combinations to experiment with. Is a high elven paladin with retinue reavers leading the wood elves a better combination than a dwarven runemaster with retinue archons leading the barbarians? The strategic combinations are almost endless.

I think this game has a lot more replay value than most and will avoid the typical RTS ossification that comes with rigid strategies.

Plus, there is the fantasy theme. This game has really good and well crafted environment; you can really get into the world. The units have a lot of character, something that many RTS units lack. My friends and I love fantasy themed stuff, and we were getting tired of Warcraft.
Old December 5, 2000, 19:50   #6
XWaste
Prince

Local Time: 07:13
I've had it for a while but haven't played it much yet...I had a really good birthday and have found myself with more games than I can conveniently play...and I just bought CTP II...

I really like it though, I'm normally not a big fan of RTS but the few times I've played Battlecry so far haven't put me off, I'm really anxious to find the time to play it some more.

I don't know if its just because I don't play RTS much, but I'm finding Battlecry quite challenging, it took me about six tries to get past the second mission in the campaign.