Old January 24, 2001, 16:30   #1
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Imperialism II
i really like this game (though the AI cheats here too...). well, itīs an older game, but is anyone here still playing it?

------------------
god made weed.....you donīt really think he fails sometimes?

weed god, chief of EUROPA
visit EUROPA: www.multispieler.de
Old January 24, 2001, 17:06   #2
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This is a game I would love to like (I loved the original) but was never really able to get into. Any pointers on how to make my efforts more successful and my game time more enjoyable?

Every time I played I ran into money or resource problems (or usually both) and never got too far.

John-SJ
Old January 24, 2001, 21:12   #3
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 08:15
itīs hard to describe how to play since every action you make affects almost all the others - i guess you already figured that out. but this is what i like on this game.
i usually play on 90-110% difficulty and a good country. i won each game even my first.
i think a good starting strat is adding 2 early knights and sending your whole army conquering whatever you get in the new world. the AI "knows" where the most valuable countries are, this sucks, so donīt hesitate and kill the natives. usually the northern and the southern edges are a good choice (fur) as well as dessert- and mountain- provinces (diamonds, gems, gold, silver). unlike in imperialism I it doesnīt have any political effect on the other natives. also try to get (at least) one colony. this will help later in the game to have a market for your products if you face a strong alliance in europe which declares war on you. always try to get allies and only declare war when you are sure youīll profit.
technologies depend on your need. at the begin donīt spend to much money. invent what the other nations already have (reduces costs) and use a spy or two (but be sure to remove them after 1 or 2 turns because the turnout decreases and there is always a chance of losing them. also invent ships of the line which grants you supremacy on the sea - the AI usually invents this very late in the game.
Old January 24, 2001, 21:19   #4
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:15
Every time I played I ran into money or resource problems (or usually both) and never got too far.

Hmm, go for desert (Diamonds), mountain (Gems, Gold), and hill (Silver) provinces. Early on conquering tribal capital brings in relatively substantial funds. Oh, and the last patch added an option to get $400 per turn. As for resource problems, overcoming each one in turn is the fun of that game.

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old January 25, 2001, 00:01   #5
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
Kick the snot out of the Indians.

If you're in a war, the AI always attacks your weak provinces. So, if the AI can attack two of your provinces and you have a strong army in one, move it to the weak province because that's where AI will attack. On your next turn, move your army back to the original province to head off an attack there.
Old January 28, 2001, 01:17   #6
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hey, thanks for the tips everyone! I've always tried to play the game more peacably but most of the suggestions here have emphasized a more conquest oriented game. I'll be trying these suggestions soon.

John-SJ