Old June 24, 2000, 14:21   #61
Andz83

We probably use different versions of stunts...

Sometimes when I race the Default Track against an opponent, the replay shows completely different AI behaviour than the actual race. Strange, but could explain our replay problems or at least bring us further a little bit on our way to solve the problem...

A propos Default Track: DEFAULT in 1:08,30 !!!!!

Try to beat me, fellows!

Old July 26, 2000, 15:11   #62
Andz83

and now I made it in 1:07.55

Old July 31, 2000, 03:56   #63
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't played it for months to be honest, but I'll give it a go soon. Promise.

- MKL
Old August 2, 2000, 10:49   #64
Strategist

Local Time: 07:15
I also like Stunts, but I haven't played it for a long time.

wow, and I thought there'd be only civ-players here...
Old August 10, 2000, 21:08   #65
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
quote:

Originally posted by Andz83 on 06-08-2000 09:03 AM

1. I managed to break the highscore in MD_1. I made it in 3 : 39.60, I think.

Curses! I ran the MD_1 track for the first time in a long time today, and broke mine & MidKnight's record with a 3:41.40. But I still gotta knock off another two seconds to beat Andz's record.
Old August 16, 2000, 07:34   #66
MidKnight Lament
King

What??? Ok, I gotta start playing this game again now!

- MKL
Old August 30, 2000, 15:32   #67
Andz83

bumping this to:

1. keep the thread alive

2. raise my post count
[This message has been edited by Andz83 (edited August 30, 2000).]

Old September 4, 2000, 10:28   #68
Andz83

sigh... bump

Old September 5, 2000, 08:04   #69
MidKnight Lament
King

I had another crack at this today, and man, it was tough. I only finished my track about 5 times ouf of 40 attempts because I was trying so hard to do it as fast as possible.

A few questions to hopefully get the thread moving...

Do you take the banked corners on the low side or the high side? I have a mate who thinks he picks up more speed on the high side, but I prefer to stay low so I don't risk going over the edge.

Are there places on MD_1 before the biggest of the jumps where you have to put the breaks on because you'll crash otherwise?

Do you take all the loop-the-loops as fast as possible?

If some people come up with really good tracks, I'll be happy to give them a go. I know there's a lot of things in MD_1 I don't like, but I haven't had time to make another one yet...

Perhaps we should make sure we've got the same version of the game so that we can trade replays...

Stunts lives on!!!

- MKL
Old September 5, 2000, 10:26   #70
Andz83

err... talking about MD_1? well, I used to brake several times... also very early on the track, just because of the banked corners... and I usually take them neither on the high nor the low side, I always aim to take them on the stripe for a good balance between high speed and security

Old September 5, 2000, 11:16   #71
Zkribbler
Deity

Take banked corners on the low side. I have a friend who says if you take the road right down the middle you go faster, but I haven't noticed any difference. Do NOT take the high side of banked curves! You'll go flying and you're chances of crashing are much higher.

Your friend might be referring to a phenomenon we've noticed here. When you're nearing or are at top speed and you hit a bump, you seem to kick into a higher speed. We call it overdrive.

There is a spot on MD_1 that you can't take jumps at top speed. You start off going "north" then you turn back and start heading "south," and then there's another reversal, and you're going "north" again. At that point, there's some jumps over gaps. If you're going top speed you can leap completely over the upramp and land in the gap, crashing into the back of down ramp.

I've never been able to take loops at top speed. I always have to back it off--I'd guess maybe 20%-30% of my top speed. (We are talking about using the Indy car, right?)

BTW: I have a Broderbund version of Stunts, not a Mindscape version.
Old September 5, 2000, 11:38   #72
Andz83

umm, I know the Overdrive phenomenon... I use it to get the IndyCar to 245 mph instead of the "top speed" of 215 mph... very useful... an overdriven IndyCar is even able to drive over meadows without being slowed down...

I created many tracks in which you had to go with the overdriven IndyCar or you wouldn't have managed them!

Old September 5, 2000, 22:42   #73
MidKnight Lament
King

Zkribbler - I forget, have we traded replays before? I'm wondering if the different versions is the reason why we were having so much trouble.

In regard to banked corners, I generally take them low, or go the middle if I can't handle the pace. Although, going too low into the grass is enough of a slow down when you're really flying that it adds plenty to your overall time.

With loop-the-loops, I generally go at them full-pelt, brake just before I get on to it, and then accelerate once I'm about half way around. Mind you, there's a couple of spots early in MD_1 where you can't be going too fast through one because you have to line up for the jumps straight after. I like using loop-the-loops in my tracks (if you hadn't noticed ) because they give the driver the option... how fast do I want to take this?

There's one jump in the first southward direction that I always use the brake on (if I'm going along at the sort of speed I like to be in) or I'll nose-dive, and there's another about 20-30 seconds after. I forget which direction that one is...

How often do you actually finish the track? Usually I'm trying to do it in such a slick time that I end up crashing at least 5 times before I get around to the back straight (heading northward). Mind you, I wanted to make the track so the easier bits were at the end; nothing worse than almost nailing that killer time only to crash at the very end. There's certainly plenty of things that could be improved on the track, but I think I'll just start anew.

- MKL
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited September 05, 2000).]
Old September 6, 2000, 10:33   #74
Andz83

MKL: I think we both traded the replays and then I realized that the versions could be the reasons for the trouble we had... of coursre I don't know whether you also traded them with Zkribbler or not...

Old February 13, 2001, 16:38   #75
Chaos Warrior

Did you guys lose interest in Stunts? come on, keep ths thread alive!!!

BUMPer cars

Old February 15, 2001, 01:44   #76
Zkribbler
Deity

Yeah, I kinda lost interest.

The problem is Stunts can't be played on Windows 95/98/ME. They upgraded all my data links at work, so I had to upgrade my computer to Windows 98 to access them. Now it's too much of a pain to change operating systems just to play Stunts, so I'm stuck with Hearts and junk like that.
Old February 15, 2001, 10:28   #77
Chaos Warrior

I play Stunts under Win98.