Old March 7, 2001, 23:38   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Railroad Tycoon 2
I dusted off this game recently and found out - again - why I removed it from my computer in the first place. For a sequel that came out almost a decade after the original there really isn't a lot positive to be said about it.

The graphics are nice. So?

First of all there aren't many tools to aid in micromanagement. I could understand it in the original, but that's unforgivable for a sequel not to have learned any lessons. Even the simplest things, such as pausing the game momentarily when a train reaches a destination so you can change its consists, is unavailable.

Secondly, the "realistic" finance modelling isn't. For instance, why can't a company I control buy a block of shares from me at a reasonable price.

Third, the "realistic" economic model seems to flutuate too wildly. How could the price for an item drops to zero and then goes back to max in a few months?

Forth, you can no longer drop off a load at a destination to be picked up by another train. This relay method was widely used in the original to move bulk cargo, such as coal and iron ore, around. This is particularly irritating.

Fifth, if you carry a load to a station that demands it, regarless whether you want to drop it off, you are forced to do so. Again, totally irritating and stupid.

Sixth, you can't build tunnels. At least I haven't been able to build tunnels. So much for a railroad game.