Old March 29, 2001, 22:12   #1
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 17:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Electronic Arts and Incredible Mistake RE: Black & White
Taken from PlanetBlackandWhite

quote:

Apparently, a huge number of beta versions of Black and White were shipped to stores around the world. EA, it seems, messed up some files and replaced some of the Gold-Version BW files with the betas. I've heard it rumoured that EA intentionally made beta copies in order to get BW out by the 27th. Whatever.

Well, when I heard this news I quickly called EA and emailed Lionhead simultaniously. EA told me that it was an honest mistake. Also, they gave me some interesting news that everyone should know. That bug with the Athlons and the Dial-Up Networking is actually a RESULT of this beta mix-up. How bout that? Anyway, EA plans to announce a recall (if you will) of all the beta copies out there. If you have a copy (and you know you do if you get the DUN error) EA would like you to call them. The promise to either refund or replace your game.

Sorry about all this confusion. At least we can still hope that the final version has no bugs, (heh).

Phone Number: 1-888-842-6388 This is the Account Services Department (the only phone number I could find). EA's not up there with the people friendly tech support.

Lionhead hasn't replied yet, but when they do I'm sure they will be able to shed some light on this serious matter.

I can't help but think EA must be punished over this. If I really supported Warez, I would not buy another EA product again.

Bkeela.
Old March 31, 2001, 00:07   #2
Bkeela
King

Yep, it was just a mistake. The site that reported that news has since apologised.

From PlanetBlackandWhite:

quote:

Cripes. What you're about to see is someone swallow his stupid male pride. So whip out the popcorn and put your feet up, and try not to laugh.

It has been brought to my attention that certain items of news have been posted that really shouldn't have. They were unfounded, nonsense and a waste of bandwidth. While it wasn't myself that posted the suspect news (I was away at the time), I would like to take full responsibility on behalf of the staff that work at PBW.

As a site director I am given the responsibility by a network that has standards and a reputation to uphold. Lately, this hasn't been upheld, and you, the reader, hasn't been given what I would call 'the right stuff'. Therefore, the responsibility of the staff under my control is down to me. Rest assured, I'll be discussing with the staff in question what went wrong.

Just to rectify everything now, and in case you missed what happened, we stated that the copies of the discs people had were betas due to time constraints. This is bollocks. We've also been slightly critical of Electronic Arts. While it's fair to say our comments are a reflection of the community as a whole, they don't actually help. Constructive criticism is good, nitpicking and doing it just for the hell of it doesn't. Instead of ridiculing, we should have been trying to actively help.

From now on, we'll be having a little more quality control. While the quirkyness will still remain, there will probably be a few less posts every day. From now on we'll try to investigate news further before hastily splicing them in into the news system.

This is one very sorry scenario that even sparked off Lionhead to reply, and I'd rather be doing something else right now such as some cool stuff I've got planned for you guys. Now I've had to put them on hold as I feel obliged to sort this whole thing out. Right now I ask that you show a little forgiving and consider PBW's first weeks open as a sort of beta test. I think I've said all I've set out to say. If you have any comments or suggestions then please let me know. I take them all very seriously.

Bkeela.
Old March 31, 2001, 01:19   #3
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Bkeela,

When I read this article I didn't take it too seriously but it did get me to wondering even though I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the game.

Then, this morning I saw an article on avault.com that gave the same phone # as in the post that you copied. I called and was directed to another #, this one the general ea support line (and this # is in the manual, contrary to what your copied post said), the support person assurred me that this is just a rumor. Then I looked back at avault and the original article was no longer there. What was there is this article.

quote:

Reports that beta files were included in the retail version of Electronic Arts and Lionhead Studios’ new strategic god game are false, according to a post on the official product website. The SKUs that are on sale contain files from the gold version. Users experiencing problems with the game are advised to e-mail support@ea.com.

So, no need to worry abaout this, it's just a prank, maybe an early April Fool's joke?

John-SJ
Old March 31, 2001, 01:27   #4
Eternal
King

Local Time: 02:17
Doggone it, That rumor kept me from ordering it last night. Thanks a lot Bkeela.
Old March 31, 2001, 08:07   #5
Bkeela
King