Old May 11, 2001, 20:02   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 19:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Games we'd like to see...
Ok, post you're ideas here on new games you'd really like to see and have wondered why noone has done it before.

1. TV Tycoon or Television Manager or some such name. I've already described this on http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum22/HTML/000844.html?2

2. Shopping Mall Tycoon or perhaps SimMall or even Mall Manager. With the popularity of shopping malls, it beats me why, to the best of my knowledge, no game has ever been made with this theme. Baffling. One of life's great mysteries.

3. The Ultimate Adventure Game. A randomly-generated adventure game engine. Each time you want to play , just specify the approximate size of the game, the number of puzzles, the theme etc, a bit like specifying for a random map in Civ. I know this is possible, I'm sure this is possible, I suspect it has something to do with money. Once this baby was on the market, noone would be able to sell adventure games again. But then again, how many have been on the market lately anyway?

Please comment on the above ideas and add your own.
[This message has been edited by Russell (edited May 11, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Russell (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 22:31   #2
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:19
OK Russell, I'll bite.

Your Ideas:
1. Tv Tycoon. looks great!
2. Master Of The Mall. Also looks great! same reason. both of these would be business sims with similar themes. in TV tycoon, You have to sell advertising time, get your ratings up, use more money to get better shows (or Make Them, at great cost), and pssibly watch them bomb, and your money o down the tubes. Sounds a lot like what I've heard about Hollywood Mogul.
Master Of the Mall you would rent mall space, advertise, use rate incentives to entice the better shops to your mall, try to raise rent AND hold onto your stores, etc. lots of fun

3. Adventure Generator. I have to disagree on the feasablity of this one. Puzzle Adventures have to be Written. A plot has to be there, or we don't care. The puzzles have to make sense, or it's useless. I don't think a randomizer is capable of anything more than elaborate extensions of "mrs. peacock in the library with the sword"
I can't see anything like the Monkey Island puzzles being randomly generated. Those are just awesome!
Alos, if the writer isn't a good one, the game suffers from being not fun.
Old May 11, 2001, 22:38   #3
Father Beast
King

OK, here's my idea for a game.
THE BATTLEROOM

Remember, the enemy's gate is DOWN! there's no gravity in the battleroom, as you and the rest of the army come rushing in, so keep focused on the enemy gate. Your weapon freezes your opponents, but they're still floating around, getting in your way, so learn how to use them! If you can freeze them all, you will take your remaining men and unlock the gate on the far side, winning the round. After all, it's only a game.

based on the game from the novel "Ender's Game"
Old May 11, 2001, 23:45   #4
tniem
King

Local Time: 02:19
I have always wanted to see Spy Craft II. Spy Craft was a game based on input from the former CIA and KGB directors. The game centered around an international terrorist group buying a nuclear weapon following the collapse of the Soviet Union. Have always wanted to see a sequel in this fantastic spy game.

Also, would love to see a new version of Pirates!
Old May 12, 2001, 02:35   #5
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

4. Game Developer Tycoon. Ok, this has been joked about alot but I really think it would work. Another business sim similar to 1&2 above but with a twist, that twist being that the interface to the game is dynamic, reflecting just how sucessful your team of developers are and how skilled they are. So, the game could start in, say, 1980, the early days of gaming. And the interface to the game could reflect one of those old DOS Basic games like Star Trek where you use one key to issue a command and so on. As your dedicated team of devolopers get better and technology changes, say you delegate some to studying how to use a new CGA graphics card, once they get the hang of it, the interface of the game changes into a CGA graphic interface and so on. Also, you'll slowly get more game options etc. until, if your company becomes a raging sucess, you will be playing a full-fledged 3D interface management game with huge depth.
You could also make it a bit of a games-within-a-game type thing too. One of your developers, for instance, might come up to you with a prototype for a new game idea which you could then actually get to play. You could play it at each stage of devlopement and it could even simulate bugs. You would make the decision whther it should be developed further or canned. Other management decisions would include how much time and money for developement, how much for testing, should this game be pushed out the door now for a quick buck even though there may be a bug risk, or hold back and test it further. If you sell it with bugs, you would loose some reputation and so the next game may not sell as well and developers will be less willing to come and work for you etc.
Old May 12, 2001, 06:11   #6
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:19
quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 05-11-2001 10:38 PM
OK, here's my idea for a game.
THE BATTLEROOM

Remember, the enemy's gate is DOWN! there's no gravity in the battleroom, as you and the rest of the army come rushing in, so keep focused on the enemy gate. Your weapon freezes your opponents, but they're still floating around, getting in your way, so learn how to use them! If you can freeze them all, you will take your remaining men and unlock the gate on the far side, winning the round. After all, it's only a game.

based on the game from the novel "Ender's Game"

You can get a similar idea as a mod for Quake 3. It's called FreezeTag. there are two teams, and fragging someone causes them to freeze to the spot, encased in ice. If a team-mate can stand next to them for 3 secs, they unfreeze and respawn. Only when all of one team is frozen does the other team get a point.
Old May 12, 2001, 17:00   #7
John D Ward
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:19
[quote.

Also, would love to see a new version of Pirates![/quote]

Have you tried Cutthroats? I can strongly recommend it.

Old May 12, 2001, 19:44   #8
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I would love to see a Shadow President 2. The original was made way back in 92' or so. Basically your the president of the US and control the budget, aid, and a whole lot more. In the original battles were fought by the amount of troops you have sent into the country for example Iraq invades kuwait you send in troops from Saudi and turkey and from the US. The numbers in kuwait rise slowly. Y~ou then have your 30000 against 200000 or so. It's purely startegic no tactics involved.

------------------
" Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few "
Old May 12, 2001, 21:39   #9
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I would like to see a game based on the Theme Hospital engine where you run a museum...
Old May 12, 2001, 22:51   #10
Father Beast
King

quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 05-12-2001 06:11 AM
You can get a similar idea as a mod for Quake 3. It's called FreezeTag. there are two teams, and fragging someone causes them to freeze to the spot, encased in ice. If a team-mate can stand next to them for 3 secs, they unfreeze and respawn. Only when all of one team is frozen does the other team get a point.

Ah. But can it be in zero G? when the frozen players continue to tumble about? if faithful to the book, players can get a huge adventage by shooting from a kneeling position, shooting between their legs as they fall toward their opponent. hits to extremities freeze only the extremity hit - a hit to the legs only freezes the legs.

Hmmmnn.. on second thought, maybe it can't be done with current taechnology...
Old May 13, 2001, 03:02   #11
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Colonization 2
Conquest of the New World 2
Old May 13, 2001, 14:05   #12
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 01:19
There is a similar thread in OT which might make interesting reading for those interested. http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum23/HTML/022088.html?36
Old November 27, 2001, 22:30   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 03:19
Russell: Look at the thread I made in your honor.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:09   #14
tishco
Prince

MAD Tv get from underdogs.
basically sim US satellite TV station top class
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old November 28, 2001, 16:41   #15
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
-Rollercoaster tycoon 2 with the same basic plot as the first part. With improved graphics it would be an excellent game.

-Pirates 2 & Colonization 2

-A game similar to Close combat but with the fighting going on in Vietnam, Yu '91-'95, Korea, Afghanistan...
Old November 29, 2001, 00:17   #16
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Russell:

"TV Tycoon" has already been made -- as tishco pointed out there was a German game called "MAD TV" (no relation to the awful sketch comedy show, thank goodness) which was like this.

Also might want to check out "Hollywood Mogul" which is the same kind of thing, only with movie studios.

As for a Game Developer Tycoon, if you can read Japanese, Sega put out a game called "Segagaga" for the Dreamcast. Eerily enough, the gist of the game is to save Sega from being destroyed by regaining market share from its evil nemesis ("Dogma corporation") who has burst onto the scene and taken the gaming world by storm (no coincidence the logo of this evil nemesis looks very similar to the original PlayStation logo)..

http://www.segagaga.com/sggg_cont/index.html

Dan
Old November 29, 2001, 01:21   #17
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Dan,
Yes, I've got MAD TV but I was thinking on the lines of a serious simluation with far more depth but still fun to play, along the lines of, say, the Championship Manager series. Replace the players with TV shows from around the world to import which would all have their own statistics for ratings potential, cost, length of series etc and/or create your own local productions etc.

By the way, as has been pointed out by Yin, Mall Tycoon has been announced. Go see http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...11282001-91651. I must simply be a man ahead of my time.
Old November 29, 2001, 01:43   #18
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

I got a kick out of Jonah Falcon / GamePen's mix-up where they erroneously posted that "Mail Tycoon" had been announced. Half their readers thought it was some kind of sick Anthrax joke and the other half thought it was a Spam simulation =)

Dan
Old November 29, 2001, 03:19   #19
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 03:19
Hey, I'd like to see a really good Civ game!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:29   #20
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Hey, I'd like to see a really good Civ game!
You could always try Civ3. Oh. Wait. You have. Maybe Colonization?

What do you want in a "really good civ game", anyway? The game, I mean, not the hype and peripheral stuff.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn