Old March 31, 2000, 17:41   #1
Andz83

Problems with MGE
I've purchased MGE, being enraged about the high cost (b/c "it's a entire new game", etc.). I played it, being surprised about the new graphics (exp./only in the boxes).

And I talked to my neighbour civilization,

being horrified that my relation to them was set to "Hostile, Peace" one turn after the first encounter.
I tried everything. Making presents (huge presents), declare war to their enemies, but never the relation staid at the setting it was when the turn ended.
Now I know the reason: after one turn of friendship, the relation-value is set to "100" (changeable in the CHEAT-Menu), but I don't know why. Therefor, many scenarios (e.g. the "crusades" that came with CiC) don't work, because important aliiances (e.g. w/ byzantines) are cancelled in the first turn. After getting the patch 3 this problem still appears, but now seems to be a bit manageable (possible, that I'm wrong with that), but now there's a new problem.
I'm not able to save a game!!! Every turn there's made an "Autosave", but I am not able to use "[Ctrl] + [S]" nor "[Save Game] from [Game Menu]" nor "[Save as Scenario] from [Cheat Menu]".
Does this bug only appear in the German version? Is there any way for me to patch it on my own? (Perhaps with game.txt or menu.txt? Will there be any additional patch to MGE?
Two questions, some of you should have asked to themselves...

------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"
Cliff Burton (1962-1986), 1988 ("To Live Is To Die")

Old March 31, 2000, 23:28   #2
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is such a shame! If you want to make use of the additional unit slots of MGE, you have to also accept the hostility of the diplomacy algorithm.

quote:

... relation-value is set to "100"

I assume there is no easy way to manipulate this "relation value" or someone would've posted advice or a patch by now. I wonder if anyone on the former development team would be willing to work with some clever coder (there are many lurking hereabouts) to create an unofficial patch?

I know some do not find this a problem, but they must be far superior players than I am! Having the diplomacy engine stacked against me is the last thing I need!

- mindseye
Old March 31, 2000, 23:58   #3
MasterBob

Hostile is nothing to worry about all my AI is enraged at me throughout the game and I do just fine, even on diety.

------------------
Webmaster---Come to the Civworld Forums

"If you cannot beat them, don't join them, instead corrupt them, make them join you, then throw them off a cliff."

"Greatness is measured by how evil you are, the more evil, the greater you become."

Old April 1, 2000, 01:31   #4
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Its not that the game isn't winnable with the buggy AI but it makes many parts of civ unplayable or unrealistic.Many scenarios are rendered useless.This also makes the scenario tools somewhat useless as scenario parameters are limited to mainly bloodlust options.

MGE for multiplaying only.
Old April 1, 2000, 03:34   #5
KhanMan
Prince

Local Time: 22:35
I honestly don't see how MPG is any worse than the original civ2, as far as the ai-s go. The same things happen when you play civ2 version 2.42: allies defect, civs go from worshipful to enraged in between turns, what's new?

As far as making alliances work, there is a simple way: set it so that the two sides refuse to talk to each other in the scenario.

Unfortunately, none of the civ-games out there (not even SMAC) have figured out how to make ai-s follow predicatable diplomacy patterns, instead of split-personality politics.

Still, this is no reason to single out Multiplayer Gold in your attacks, as it's just as good as normal civ2...

-KhanMan of the Sayen
Old April 1, 2000, 05:29   #6
Andz83

I don't know what you're talking about. In Civ2 2.42 the AI was NOT set to hostile or even enraged. I noticed that sometimes they were set to uncooperativ (them all), until you fell behind them in tech etc. (sounds like pure jealousy ).

Anyway, I also talked about a second bug the missing of a way to save the game. Does that bug not appear in the English version of MGE?

------------------
"No life 'til leather, we gonna kick some ass tonight"

-"Hit The Lights" by Metallica, 1983

the first text-line that's mentioned in the first song published by Metallica on their first album...

Old April 1, 2000, 19:39   #7
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
I have the single version and MGE on my HD and there is a difference.I'm not talking multiplayer here.Multiplayer is the best civ(imo) but there is also a whole other civ world of scenarios.There is some tremendously good work being done these days.Little things like changing seasons in Red Front are very cool.If I had followed the manufacturers recommendations I would have sent my "old" version back for $10 and would miss out on enjoying many of these scenarios as they were intended by their creators.

again,MGE for MP only.
Old April 1, 2000, 22:17   #8
Neon Deon
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:35
Smash,
MPG was meant to be a full version. SP and MP combined. Microprose dropped the ball and wont pick it up. There really should be a patch to fix this problem.
Old April 2, 2000, 01:34   #9
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 17:35
There was an old problem with the english verson (for Mac) that wouldn't allow you to load games (they fixed it in the first patch), but I've never heard of not being able to save games.

----------
adaMada
[This message has been edited by adaMada (edited April 01, 2000).]